Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

IN ONE END AND OUT THE OTHER

I just started on solid foods and things aren't looking so great. I am 3 weeks post-op today and my doctor moved me to solid foods early. I have still been eating some mushy foods and some solids, but everything that goes in comes right back out the other end about 10-15 minutes after I finish eating. I didn't think dumping syndrome happened with the Band, but I think that is what is going on. If I'm lucky enough to eat something that doesn't cause me to run for the bathroom, I still get so nauseous and start sweating like crazy. Any advice would help.

i know it sucks, but think about it for a minute. you are eating super soft foods, no bulk in them at all, so yes they are going to come right back out. once you get the solids in, it will get better. you don't have dumping syndrome like those with the bypass do. they have it no matter what they eat. try softer solids and take it slow, chew everything up 20 times, i mean every bite 20 times. it does get better.

I am on solid foods now and that is when it started to happen.

i know it sucks, but think about it for a minute. you are eating super soft foods, no bulk in them at all, so yes they are going to come right back out. once you get the solids in, it will get better. you don't have dumping syndrome like those with the bypass do. they have it no matter what they eat. try softer solids and take it slow, chew everything up 20 times, i mean every bite 20 times. it does get better.

It's not dumping syndrome, it's your body trying to get used to being back on solid foods again. Sounds like you also might be having anxiety about it which may cause IBS-like symptoms. How many days has this been happening?

I would also ask:

What are you eating?

Are you having pain when this happens?

Do you have your gallbladder?

Are you getting too much Fiber? Not enough Fiber?

Are you eating dairy when this happens?

Does this happen when you eat raw fruits or veggies?

hmmm, well i am not sure then. what kind of solids are you eating? stress and anxiety will do that to you also. hope it gets better for you soon.

I am on solids. I find that after I eat about 30 minutes later my digestive system is just moving things along. I only eat 3 times a day so no snacks; but there are days I have several visits to the bathroom.

Its not dumping syndrome, but you may need more soluble fibre.

Its difficult, because soluble fibre foods are the ones we're taught to stay away from but having spent the past 9 nonths with an ileostomy which has just been reversed, metamucil is BRILLIANT for firming up your bowel motions and slowing down transit. It bulks it up. What you do is mix two teaspoons full of it into a dash of cold Water and skull it, each time you eat, dont take it with a heap of Water.< /p>

Although I would check with your doctor since you're newly banded - it *could* swell up in your pouch and cause you problems, but I get it through my band now with no issues.

The other option is to add Benefibre to everythign you can - that's soluble fibre also. Stay away from much insoluble fibre - fruit skins, vegie skins, wholegrain bread, nuts, seeds etc.

I'm having the same issue after ileostomy reversal - after a surgery on your digestive system, it can get hypersensitive and I find that I eat and 15 minutes later I need to go, or more commonly I blow up like a puffer fish with gas, and have pain and bloating all afternoon. But the fibre will prevent solve the actual diarrhoea, if not the frequency.

No anxiety and it has been happening for 6 days now. However, it was only once the first day and now it is everytime I eat something and it doesn't matter what it is applesauce, chicken, veggies, yogurt.

It's not dumping syndrome, it's your body trying to get used to being back on solid foods again. Sounds like you also might be having anxiety about it which may cause IBS-like symptoms. How many days has this been happening?

No Pain

No Gallbaldder

Middle of the road for Fiber

Dairy sometimes, sometimes no

It depends, it didn't happen with the banana, but it did with the lettuce once

I would also ask:

What are you eating?

Are you having pain when this happens?

Do you have your gallbladder?

Are you getting too much fiber? Not enough fiber?

Are you eating dairy when this happens?

Does this happen when you eat raw fruits or veggies?

Finally called the Dr. He said to drink some metamucil and eat yogurt. At work today so I just ate yogurt and about halfway throught the cup of yogurt I was running to the bathroom. Gonna try metamucil tonight.

Its not dumping syndrome, but you may need more soluble fibre.

Its difficult, because soluble fibre foods are the ones we're taught to stay away from but having spent the past 9 nonths with an ileostomy which has just been reversed, metamucil is BRILLIANT for firming up your bowel motions and slowing down transit. It bulks it up. What you do is mix two teaspoons full of it into a dash of cold Water and skull it, each time you eat, dont take it with a heap of Water.< /p>

Although I would check with your doctor since you're newly banded - it *could* swell up in your pouch and cause you problems, but I get it through my band now with no issues.

The other option is to add Benefibre to everythign you can - that's soluble fibre also. Stay away from much insoluble fibre - fruit skins, vegie skins, wholegrain bread, nuts, seeds etc.

I'm having the same issue after ileostomy reversal - after a surgery on your digestive system, it can get hypersensitive and I find that I eat and 15 minutes later I need to go, or more commonly I blow up like a puffer fish with gas, and have pain and bloating all afternoon. But the fibre will prevent solve the actual diarrhoea, if not the frequency.

forgive me if i am wrong isent metamucil something to help you go.....??? make it easier?? sounds to me you have what you think you might have..dumping....dont second guess hat you think you have..YOU know your body..... fight for whats right, get answers.. and for god sakes listen to you, most people NEVER experience sliming, dumpiing and dont believe you when you have it..... if they didn't have than you dont.....good luck

Metameucil can help you if you're constipated too - it bulks up and softens stools. It acts like a sponge to soak up liquid and form a gel. If you have diarrhoe and its all moving through too fast and your colon isnt absorbing the Water, metameucil taken with as little Water as possible will soak up the Fluid in your digestive tract, bulk it all up and make it soft and mushy - which makes it firmer than the diarrhoea and gives you more control and less urgency.

If on the other hand you're constipated because its all sitting around in your colon too long, and too much water is being absorbed, then taking metameucil with a lot fo Fluid will provide a bulkier digestive system content, that's larger and softer and less likely to sit there. Which prevents so much water being asorbed from the waste by your colon and thus eases constiipation. But in that case, you also need lots of INsoluble fibre - fruit and vegie skins,seeds, nuts, wholegrains - those will woosh it all through fast before it can dry out too much and cause you problems.

Other foods to eat if you've got diarrhoe are the ones which contain a lot of soluble fibre, which is what metameucil is - white bread, white rice, crackers, plain pureed apple, bananas and Pasta. Which is going against what most Americans with lapbands are told to eat and certainly goes against what we're told for general health so its probably better just to take metameucil,