Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded today Aug. 19th, Doing pretty good- I have the worse pain in my left shoulder from the gas and and my hernia repair- I have walk every square inch of my house a few times. I have 3 small kids, (4,3,1) and a wonderful husband. I work as a nurse in a busy ER. but I am taking a few weeks off. I just want to know how long I can expect the shoulder pain? Anyone know?

:rolleyes: Hi there, I'm Tracy and was just banded (hiatal hernia repaired too) on Thurs. I have lots of tightness in my chest, stomach, and shoulders. Anyone else have similar experience? So happy to strart this journey! Married, 3kids -16,14,11.

Hi everyone,

I'm Rebecca, and I'm from near Sydney Australia. I was banded on 15 August.

Mostly things are good. I have been getting some random stabbing pains at the bottom of my left ribs, which is I assume the stomach? If this keeps up I'll have to go see my doctor again.

I was worried about the port incision 2 days after the surgery - it looked like it was getting very red and swollen and I was afraid it was an infection. The surgeon put me on liquid antibiotics just in case, and the swelling and redness has gone and is just bruising now.

Two of my incisions are fine. Two feel tender if I touch them or lie funny. And the port one still hurts a lot. Especially when I cough.

After the surgery, I had the sorest throat. I had no voice either, and now my throat is really scratchy, like I can feel it being rough when I swallow. I assume this is some after effect of the anaesthesia/breathing tube etc. Whatever it is, it's making me cough, which is killing.

But I'm down a LOT of kilos already, so I'm VERY happy about that.

Oh, and to answer the original question at the beginning of the thread, I'm married and I have a beautiful 3yo daughter.

I'm 6 days post-op now. Banded on Aug 15 also. Gas is pretty much gone. Just a bit under my port. Getting tired of Protein Shakes, but no cheating. I do have a lot of sore spots left in my mouth from surgery. They bug me more than my stomach. LOL.

I was banded on the 18th at Magee Womens Hospital of Pittsburgh. I must say I had a great doctor and fellow who made sure I was comfortable and ready for my procedure. I was extremely nervous and unsure of my decision. But as the morning went on I felt more ready than ever before. I came home last

night 19th around 7:30pm. I am in pain around the cuts but other than that I feel ok.

Please hang in there. Im in alot of pain as well. I sit on my couch and try my best to get all the fluids in I alsp try to walk every hour. At least a trip to the bathroom. Im sure it will get better. Hopefully sooner than later.

Hi everyone. I had surgery on 8/17 (Wednesday). My doc keeps people overnight as a "23 hour patient", but I had asked if I could go home the same day. She said yes - but at 6pm, I decided to stay overnight. The thought of getting to the car, driving home and getting in bed was daunting. Went home ~9:30am on Thursday. Slept most of yesterday. The pain is much less today. I've transitioned to just using Tylenol. I had1/2 cup of chocolate/PB Protein Shake and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese for Breakfast and 1/2 cup of banana Protein shake and 1/2 cup of cream of potato Soup for lunch. The hardest part has been getting in enough fluids - and ALL the food commercials on TV. I'm really learning about head hunger!

Hope everyone continues to do well.

Christy

Wow, we definitely have a mixed group here. Sorry to all those in pain. I realized that sitting in certain positions would help me fart. One was sitting/leaning against the arm of the couch, propped up with pillows on my side. That position helped a lot. Another is sitting at the computer desk sideways in the chair with my feet propped up against the desk. Also a bag of Water, warmed, on the stomach seemed to help too. I took gas x but don't know if it really did anything. Walking was mostly the best way to get rid of it.

I'm now 9 days post op and feeling ok. Physically i'm great, only sore around the port incision. Emotionally, not so much. The problem is this damn liquid diet. I can't handle it! I feel like crying all day, i'm weak, i'm bitchy, and most of all i'm STARVING. I don't want to just eat like I did before, because even pre-op, I wasn't miserable at all, at least I could have a salad or some lean Protein and veggies. This is the most horrid feeling i've ever experienced and I just don't know if i'll make it till thursday, which is the end of the 2 weeks of post op liquid and then I can move on to pureed foods, which I would be happy with at this point! I feel bad for my family, I must be such a b***h, or else oddly quiet because I KNOW how I'm feeling, kwim!? Ugh, it's horrible. I see my surgeon today and am going to ask about moving to pureeds so that I can have something substantial in my stomach, because this is killing me. I started school on thursday and felt like I was going to pass out by lunch time. OH and this is NOT from lack of protein/fluids. I'm consuming at least 60-80 grams of protein a day and drinking water/ice tea all damn day. Soup and pudding when i'm hungry.

Hi Everyone, I'm Martha and I was just banded on 8/18/2011. I'm doing okay, I'm just very gassy. I pray that relief is coming soon.

I seem to be doing much better today. The gas is not nearly as bad. It helps I guess that I have spent almost no time sitting.

HI my name is donna just banded 8/16/2011

Day 4 here and I'm feeling better. Still dealing with gas pains in my shoulders but the incisions don't hurt. I'm tired and feeling so, so, so hungry. I've got a strict list of what I can and can't eat and, lemme tell ya, a girl gets tired of Jello, pudding and popsicles after a while. lol

Just thought I'd check in. Day 4 is much better than day 3.

Walking ad heat pad helped me the most. Almost no gas on day 6. I agree that changing positions when sitting seems to help gas leave. I've found the recliner to be the most comfortable place. I tried some peppermint hot tea that also helped. Little sips.

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm 61 years young, a mother of 3, grandmother of 5 perfect grandchildren and I've been married for 41 years. (Probably longer than most of you have been alive out there!) I'm joining here a little early because I am having my surgery Thursday. I've doing 2 weeks pre-op Optifast and have lost 4 lbs in 8 days. No bad, but I had hoped for more. I'm from NC and my grandkids call me GG (georgeous grandmother? or really because our last name starts with a "G").

I have had a weight problem all my life and currently have high blood pressure. When my Dr asked what diets I'd been on I laughed and asked if he had an hour or two! If I don't loose this weight soon I will end up with a lot more co-morbidities like both of my parents. Right now I have pretty bad back, feet and knee problems from arthritis. I had foot and knee surgery last year and lots of my joints are now bone on bone. Not a good thing. I am a breast cancer survivor of 22 years and am very familiar with surgeries, 8 over the last 21 years. I am not really afraid of surgery, just don't like IV's after having had 6 months of chemotherapy. If you are a praying person I'd covet any prayers from you concerning the insertion of the IV on Thursday morning, 7:15 am.. Sometimes they get it the first time, sometime they don't because of my bad veins. I usually get sick in recovery and that's not fun either. My husband and children have always been very supportive and I am a very blessed person, just have this little weight problem. He, of course, is the same size as he was in college and has never been in a hospital except for his tonsils when he was 6. We are OLD!

You younger folks keep up the good work and get that weight off now. It gets harder the older you get. When I had my cancer there was not an internet, just a library and not much there in 1989. It is so neat to have lots of people to share this new venture of mine and I've enjoyed reading and learning on this site for a few weeks. I am looking forward to lots of help for this old grandma!

So today was day 9 for me and I am feeling fabulous! I think day 6 was the turning point for me - they key to gas is WALKING! My shoulder was in excruciating pain (literally wanted to rip it off) but I kept walking and using the Gas-X strips and it seemed to reallllly help! As far as hunger, I'm not really too hungry, I think I'm too excited about my "new life' and I realize that my old life was waaaay too unhealthy! And has anyone else noticed just how many commercials are catered to food...never realized it before but my gosh! It's like there's 4 food commercials to every one "other" commercial. Oh well, nothing can stop me now - I'm feeling great! For those in pain...it does get better!!! I'm down 15 lbs since 8/11 and feeling great!

NCGG, I've also got foot and knee problems. I've got arthritis in my feet, and I hurt a knee wrestling some years back and that required surgery. I am holding out hope that when I lose some weight, the feet won't hurt so much and I might be able to wear pretty shoes! :lol: