Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a TMI question...

I get them from chub rub. huh.gif

Like, we just spent the last week walking around the Dells in swimsuits and VOILA I have a boil right at the top of my inner thigh from my legs rubbing together.

All this staph and MRSA talk has me freaked out. I usually only get them maybe 2 times a year and it's after I've been hot and chub rubbing. smile.gif

So waxing does for sure help (vs shaving... All natural will solve it but...) Also we have patients who are prone to boils (diabetics, etc) us bacitracin every day.... By taking a small amount every night and putting it in your nose... Crazy I know! But it is absorbed through the mucus membrane. It helps with staph an MRSA related ones as well. And most of them are staph related because it is on our skin naturally. Many of us carry MRSA and never know it. So wax, use bacitracin, and keep the area dry! Hope that helps!

While allergies to detergents and dyes can cause bumps and rashes- they are not likely to cause boils as boils are small skin abscesses/infection. I'm a nurse and I have had the same problem especially once I started working out with a trainer- thus sweating more and having alot more friction going on. Matter of fact I even mention in my profile that my lapband surgeon offered to lance one when I came in to get a fill and complained about one. I've gotten a hair bump or boil before in the past but nothing like I had issues with in the last year. =/ I had one that was so deeply embeded that it could not drain on its own and I ended up getting a systemic reaction- high fever, nausea, fainting and ended up in the hospital over it and having to have it surgically drained because I assumed like all the rest that it would jus go away on its own in time- boy was I ever wrong!! My life saver has been washing my peri area- front and back (as these can and do spread to surrounding tissue esp due to staph) with Hibiclens daily and PRN. You can buy it at any pharmacy its an antimicrobial soap (not just antibacterial), you may have used it before your lapband surgery, some pharmacies like Vons Ive found sell it from behind their counter but you still dont need a prescription. When I actually have a boil I watch it and allow it to drain in gauze instead of all over the surrounding tissue as it can spread. I also apply neosporin or bacitracin to open boils- consult your physcian on the use of those products though, some people are allergic. Also sitz baths/soaks help to bring the boil to head and drain which Im sure you know brings instant pain relief. Warm compresses then a sitz soak is my method. If you have one or feel the sensation that one is coming immediately intervene as these can go from a harmless nusiance to painful and health hazardous in the form of sepsis unbeknownst to most people who brush it off as a simple hair bump. Some people are simply prone to boils which yes can be brought on by frequent ingrown hairs but if you happen to be one of the lucky ones like me who's horomones and body chemistry are prone to them you can get them without a whole lot of instigation on your part. Definitely dont wear tight undergarments for all the reasons people listed above- not to mention they promote ingrown hairs by being so tight against them. Excess skin of course is a breeding ground for bacteria so cleanse more often than most and try keeping the peri area as clean and free from excess moisture as possible. My doctor also suggested I use baby wipes as opposed to just toilet paper- anything to lessen the chance of bacteria pooling on skin thats already prone to boils. I still get the sensation that some want to form at times but I have not had any bad ones since I started this extra clean regimen- and in the end who doesnt like a clean crotch?haha Best of luck!

This may sound crazy but by old time meds- they use to break open an egg and peel membrane of the top of the egg and lay it across the boil. soflty cover it and by morn- GONE- I do not have any other experience except this once and I too thought crazy-- but it worked.

Thank you! I will try this! All the talk of staph is REALLY starting to concern me b/c the newest THREE I have, I've had for a week now w/ minimal change even after me trying different things, all things that have been suggested so far.

Surely though you can just go to your doctor and have a swab taken?. That will diagnose staph or any other infection quickly and simply. Forgive me but it seems nuts to be trying to figure this out online when you sound like you've never had these looked at by a doctor?

I know that we all do this, try to manage these things - I remember my son having things that looked like cigarette burns on his legs, and he had horrible eczema as a younger child, I assumed it was scratched lesions and left it for aaaaages. He actually had impetigo (school sores). It was an instant visual diagnosis, and responded immediately to treatment, the worst thing was he spread it to my other two and I had to tell the school too - its wonderful telling a school that your mangy child has pox. But it might be something so quickly diagnosed and easily treatment.

If embarrassment is holding you back, that's understandable but it shouldnt. I put off going to the doctor over bowel troubles for months and months, it was just too icky but in the end, I had cancer. Had I left it much longer, I wouldnt be here. So go to the doctor, if you havent already.

While allergies to detergents and dyes can cause bumps and rashes- they are not likely to cause boils as boils are small skin abscesses/infection. I'm a nurse and I have had the same problem especially once I started working out with a trainer- thus sweating more and having alot more friction going on. Matter of fact I even mention in my profile that my lapband surgeon offered to lance one when I came in to get a fill and complained about one. I've gotten a hair bump or boil before in the past but nothing like I had issues with in the last year. =/ I had one that was so deeply embeded that it could not drain on its own and I ended up getting a systemic reaction- high fever, nausea, fainting and ended up in the hospital over it and having to have it surgically drained because I assumed like all the rest that it would jus go away on its own in time- boy was I ever wrong!! My life saver has been washing my peri area- front and back (as these can and do spread to surrounding tissue esp due to staph) with Hibiclens daily and PRN. You can buy it at any pharmacy its an antimicrobial soap (not just antibacterial), you may have used it before your lapband surgery, some pharmacies like Vons Ive found sell it from behind their counter but you still dont need a prescription. When I actually have a boil I watch it and allow it to drain in gauze instead of all over the surrounding tissue as it can spread. I also apply neosporin or bacitracin to open boils- consult your physcian on the use of those products though, some people are allergic. Also sitz baths/soaks help to bring the boil to head and drain which Im sure you know brings instant pain relief. Warm compresses then a sitz soak is my method. If you have one or feel the sensation that one is coming immediately intervene as these can go from a harmless nusiance to painful and health hazardous in the form of sepsis unbeknownst to most people who brush it off as a simple hair bump. Some people are simply prone to boils which yes can be brought on by frequent ingrown hairs but if you happen to be one of the lucky ones like me who's horomones and body chemistry are prone to them you can get them without a whole lot of instigation on your part. Definitely dont wear tight undergarments for all the reasons people listed above- not to mention they promote ingrown hairs by being so tight against them. Excess skin of course is a breeding ground for bacteria so cleanse more often than most and try keeping the peri area as clean and free from excess moisture as possible. My doctor also suggested I use baby wipes as opposed to just toilet paper- anything to lessen the chance of bacteria pooling on skin thats already prone to boils. I still get the sensation that some want to form at times but I have not had any bad ones since I started this extra clean regimen- and in the end who doesnt like a clean crotch?haha Best of luck!

This was very thorough and helpful, thank you very much! Yes, I've mostly been doing the whole extra clean routine like you said the last few months. I do still wear Spanx, but I use the anti biotic soap (hadn't ever thought of anti microbial) and I do the same things you said when one is going to pop. Yeah, I've asked all these questions because I was curious if "SOME PEOPLE" are just prone to them OR if it's a lifestyle or habitual thing I'm doing to CAUSE it. B/c if I can get to the cause, I can stop/prevent, ya know! So yeah. I will def be seeing a dermatology in the next few weeks just in case!

Surely though you can just go to your doctor and have a swab taken?. That will diagnose staph or any other infection quickly and simply. Forgive me but it seems nuts to be trying to figure this out online when you sound like you've never had these looked at by a doctor?

I know that we all do this, try to manage these things - I remember my son having things that looked like cigarette burns on his legs, and he had horrible eczema as a younger child, I assumed it was scratched lesions and left it for aaaaages. He actually had impetigo (school sores). It was an instant visual diagnosis, and responded immediately to treatment, the worst thing was he spread it to my other two and I had to tell the school too - its wonderful telling a school that your mangy child has pox. But it might be something so quickly diagnosed and easily treatment.

If embarrassment is holding you back, that's understandable but it shouldnt. I put off going to the doctor over bowel troubles for months and months, it was just too icky but in the end, I had cancer. Had I left it much longer, I wouldnt be here. So go to the doctor, if you havent already.

The ONLY reason I haven't gone to the doctor over this is b/c of lack of insurance! I didn't start having the boils on a semi-regular basis until about 9-12 mths post op from my surgery. Which also happen to be when I began to not only work out, but work out on almost a daily basis. So I assumed this and extra skin was the cause. I do not fear doctors and nothing embarasses me. My problem was MONEY! I'm a single Mom and when I lost my job in 2010, I lost my health insurance too! All I could find were temp jobs w/o benefits until a few months ago. I've worked constantly trying to find that GREAT job that gives me health benefits and it's finally here! Tomorrow, OFFICIALLY, my boys and I have insurance again! And I cannot even begin to explain how wonderful that feels!!! So I'm making calls today, my 1st one will be to a dermatologist! also b/c I'm 26 and I've never had the full body once over for skin cancer and moles before, so I'll do it all at the same time!!! And yes, I'll have them do a swap or test or labs or whatever they need to do to confirm if it's hormonal, habitual, too much yeast, gluten, staph, whatever! I'll make sure they get to the root of it (hehe, pardon the pun) b/c I'm a "pro-active patient".

Also, I'll be scheduling a fill soon, but priority #1 with my darling band, is the yearly x-ray and ultrasound test things they're supposed to do that I'm over-do for! =D

I really do appreciate everyone's advice and opinions and experiences! It's been helpful giving me ideas and options to try UNTIL I had health insurance!!! Thanks again!