Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband surgery done with BMI of 30?

I feel like i cant relate to a lot of people because I had the lapband surgery done and my BMI was 30. I dont like to talk to my friends abiut it because they think im crazy to have done it. However its my life my decision and its not like its super easy to lose weight even with the lapband. Im still gonna have to work hard. I had the surgery 7/19 and i lost weight before the surgery with the South Beach Diet that I was told to do. So on the day of surgery I weighed 177.2 and now 2 weeks later Im at 168.5. I feel hungry all the time but my doc said now that i can eat meat and veggies I should feel full longer and lose more weight since I wont be eating so many carbs.

I started with a BMI of 33 and I still havent told 99% of the people I know. My parents and none of my friends back home have a clue because they would freak if they knew. I was "never big enough" to need surgery they would say. Even at 210 lbs people would say I looked 175ish pounds, apparently I held my weight well, but the fact was I was only getting fatter so I got banded.

Now my BMI is 25 and I want it a little lower but people still think I'm too skinny to even consider losing more weight. I think if I told them I have the band now they would think I am even more crazy because my BMI is 25 and it's been a while since someone saw me bigger ( ive been 150 lbs since Oct last year).

You are doing this for your self and your health. Just keep up the good work :)

Good for you!!!! Im so excited about having it and Im not gonna let anybody else make me feel bad about it. I really wont feel bad when i get to my goal weight!! If hadnt gotten the band I would have continued to just keep gaining every year. So I just figured might as well stop that from happening so that I dont have even more weight to lose!!! Thanks for your support!!!

I can understand it being hard to relate to bigger people getting the band. We all have weight problems though, and have struggled all our lives.

Right now at 220, 180 doesn't sound that bad. But, I remember a few years ago when I did weigh around 180-190 and I felt fat! So, it's all relative. And if you felt uncomfortable at your size and you were medically obese, then you certainly made the best decision for yourself. I kind of wish that I did before my weight got out of control.

11 pounds lost in 2 weeks is amazing, btw :) Congrats!

Ur right!! I can definitely relate to weight issues with everyone. I guess I just wanted make sure I wasnt the only one that had the surgery with a lower BMI and so I could compare them to how things r going with me and at what pace. But I can def be a cheerleader for everyone in their journey!

I completely understand how you feel. I am at a 35 BMI, I have told my friends and co-workers of my decision to try and get banded. Almost everyone thinks I am crazy. I hear the same remarks, you dont need that, your not big enough for that, or just go on a diet. I am sick of hearing that, my response is "really, if it was that easy then we would all be skinny!" How can I be 5'5" and 215lbs and not need it? Should I wait till the problem gets worse? Cause that is where I am heading with the current trend of gaining weight. I have been thinking about doing the surgery for the past 8 months, I did my research, I know what it is about and what to expect. My dad also was banded about a year ago, so I also have a close personal experience. My husband at least is supportive. I just started the process in July. Unfortuanetly I dont know if the insurance will cover the procedure yet. I dont have any co-morbidity such as high blood pressure or diabetes. I was tested for sleep apnea and just recieved my results yesterday. I have to redo the test this Saturday since I didnt sleep enough for them to get the data they needed. They said the test showed I had respiratory distress which causes me to wake from REM sleep and jump back to stage 1 sleep so I wasnt in REM sleep enough. I am a little confused because he said this is not catagorized as sleep apnea and that I should do a retest with a sleep aid so that I can stay asleep for them to collect the data. I am scheduled to do the retest this Saturday. I know its bad to say but I hope this retest goes better and it shows I do have sleep apnea so that I can get banded in late December or January (6 months nutrional counseling required...Uggh). If not, I have to wait till after I purchase a house in order to finace the procedure.

Sorry to ramble on about myself. It just gets me worked up when people dont understand. I am not looking to be a stick thin person, just healthy, able to move around better, keep up with my kids, and have a more positive outlook when I look in the mirror. The band is a tool to help me get to my goal.

On a side note, do you lose weight more slowly when you start out with a lower BMI?

N2animals- thats my question too!! Thats y i got on here to try to find out!! I wanted to see what I have to look forward to and am I following the same trend as someone who needs to lose about 40 - 50 lbs.

Hi all! I'm excited to find others that understand why I want the surgery as I've gotten the same reaction from the few people I told. My BMI was 31.5 when I went to my personal doctor but now it's higher because I've been eating a LOT, telling my fav foods goodbye!.

I have BCBS insurance and even though the surgery has been approved by the FDA, I was told that it may be a few years before insurance picks it up. Therefore, I am SELF-PAY!:( I found a doctor in Raleigh, NC to do it for $8,000 (without all the extra testing) and another "famous" surgeon to do it for $10,000. These are stand-alone clinics which is why they can do it cheaper than a hospital. I do have a couple of health issues like high cholesterol, joint pain (arthritis), and possibly sleep apnea, but that makes no difference to insurance companies.

Anyway, best of luck to you all. I will be anxious to watch your progress!!

I paid $9,900 in Dallas, TX. I knew my insurance wouldnt cover it.

I think there are quite a few low BMI out here now. I started at 33 and was told I was not big enough by many people to get the band, even my cardiologist said I didn't need to get the band. I felt plenty big!!! And my blood pressure just kept on climbing and then I had to add a second pill to keep my blood pressure low enough. Even then my BP was just moderate.

So I made the decision to get lap band and had to self pay. Even the nurse that wheeled me out to my driver after the procedure told me I was the smallest person she had seen getting the band.

Well now I have lost 30 pounds and my BP was 110 over 60 at my last doctor's visit!!!!!!!!!!!

So I don't really care who thinks what about my band!!!

I said 110 over 60!!!

Pre lap band I was 150 over 90 with the help of two pills!!!!!!!!

My lap band rocks!!

Good for u!!!!! Sometimes u gotta do what u think is right for urself!!! We gotta go with our gut feeling!! That is such good news!!!

I feel like i cant relate to a lot of people because I had the lapband surgery done and my BMI was 30. I dont like to talk to my friends abiut it because they think im crazy to have done it. However its my life my decision and its not like its super easy to lose weight even with the lapband. Im still gonna have to work hard. I had the surgery 7/19 and i lost weight before the surgery with the South Beach Diet that I was told to do. So on the day of surgery I weighed 177.2 and now 2 weeks later Im at 168.5. I feel hungry all the time but my doc said now that i can eat meat and veggies I should feel full longer and lose more weight since I wont be eating so many carbs.

I totally understand I too face the same issue know one knows except my son, two daughters ,1 sister and my husband my friends nor other family would understand. Keep up the good work. My first fill is next Monday. I'm ready!

I had a BMI of 40 to start with but I can still relate to people telling me that I didn't need it. This was the first thing I have done in my life that was for me and strictly for me. I tell anyone I want and don't care what they think. I have learned that those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter. I am surrounded by people who only want the best for me and what makes me happy. Even the few stubborn ones who think diet and exercise is the answer caught on. Diet and exercise is the answer but some of us need help in the appetite department. Stand up for yourself and be strong in your decision and you will find that people will back down. We are all making an effort to make our lives better and others can't understand that then we don't need em. Do what you have to do to love yourself and then worry about the rest of the world (maybe). Where were these people with all of their wisdom and encouragement while we were getting fat?