Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So let's talk about our lap band surgeons for a second...

All my banded friends have used this one surgeon that is 45 miles from me. I didn't use him because he wasn't in my insurance network.

My surgeon does not do fills under flouro and he only sees patients on Monday and Tuesday. Even when I was really tight and needed an unfill I had to wait till the following Monday. In his opinion your NEVER too tight unless you can't swallow your own saliva. If I have an issue I get put through to a nurse who most of the time can't help me. Off topic a bit, but the last time I was there he took a call from the nurse at the hospital where I could hear him. He had done a totally different surgery on a patient and the nurse was having issues, he told her he was sorry, but he was not coming back over that day, she would have to wait until the next morning. I was like :blink:

Now the surgeon my friends use, he will see them any day of the week for an unfill. They have his personal cell phone number to call in case of a problem- and yes, he actually answers it. He is also certified as a Bariatric surgeon of excellence, while mine is not.

Is my surgeon really that bad or is he the norm?

How does your surgeon treat you?

well... I'd say your surgeon is worse than usual and your friends' surgeon is better than usual biggrin.gif

my surgeon is only in the office one day a week, because he splits his time between two surgical practices. So in my area, he does surgery on Tuesdays and is in the office Thursdays. If I want HIM to do my fill it has to be Thursday, but the practice (there are 2 other surgeons there) has a PA who also does fills, and I can see her for a fill any day but Friday- they don't fill on Friday to lessen the possibility that you'll end up in the ER, too tight, on the weekends.

No fills under fluoro for me either. If I have a problem I'm instructed to call and talk to the PA. Now that the surgery is over I don't have much contact with my surgeon... he did one of my post-op checks so far and he'll do the 6 month one too, but I'm pretty much under the care of the PA and the nutritionist now, not really under his care.

I don't have his cell phone number laugh.gif but again, I don't know how much of this is due to him working in 2 offices that are pretty far apart. And his staff is wonderful, and very well trained, and I certainly feel in good hands with them.

Sounds like a real loser to me. Mine sees patients at the lapband center inside the hospital Mondays, Thursday mornings, Fridays and between surgeries on Tuesdays. Thursday afternoons he spends in his "real" office seeing his general surgery patients but will see a lapband patient there in an emergency. The only time he is unavailable is Wednesdays when he is doing surgery at the other hospital in town. He has a partner who is available when he is not. He even met me at the hospital on a Saturday once when I was too tight from a fill on Thursday. He is supportive beyond belief as is his entire staff. I NEVER could have had the success I have without him and them. Every one of us deserves the same. If you aren't getting that then you should maybe think about switching doctors if that's an option. In answer to your question...YES your surgeon really is that bad! Although I do agree that if you can swallow your own saliva and Water you will be ok for a couple days. You just need to put yourself on liquids until he can see you. But you shouldn't have to wait more than a day or two.

I have my doctor's cell number, I also have his email address - he answers both within a very reasonable amount of time and never more than a couple of hours. He is a center of excellence as well and he conducts himself as such. He is only in the office I frequent 1 day a week but he has other locations that he visits that are in my area as well so if I had to see him I have a few days a week to do so. You're doc sounds unprofessional and lazy. I understamd you cant be everywhere at once but in this line of work you really have to be dedicated to your parients. I would find a different doc.

Mine and his staff pretty much suck (except one woman named Julianne who I can call with any questions at any time) and your friends have it REAL good (or extra good). I agree with Rachel. Mine is very similar to yours, ALTHOUGH I have to say that when I go for a fill it is done at a hospital under flori-whatever its called with the white chalky barium junk, and they have a dedicated doc for it every time. As far as communication goes, I have learned you need to push for what you need and not let them control you if there is a problem.

I have had to seriously grow some woman ballz with these guys <_<

I agree that you have to speak up for yourself. You HAVE to be your own advocate and it's OKAY to have a reasonable level of expectation in care. He is working for you, not the other way around.

My surgeon is about an hour away. There is/was a Dr in town where I live but his office was rude to me so I decided to go to Dr Johnson. I am glad I did go to him since the Dr that refused me is now moving out of state and all his patients now need to look for a new one.

Anyhow my surgeon is excellent, his office is also a center of excellence. He has given me his pager so if I have any problems I can call him. He is available anytime except when he is in surgery. His nurses are also wonderful. I feel he is worth the drive and feel blessed by God that it did not go to the office here in town.

I would grab my medical records and run to the nearest center of excellence I could find. I am really impressed with the care I have received and I am only in the pre-op stage. The surgeon is on top of my care even though I probably won't see him again until my pre-op visit. The staff is the best. I cannot tolerate your current doctor's attitude. To tell a nurse at the hospital that you are not coming back over on a surgery patient is completely out of line. I hope that nurse wrote him up, not lol :( Lot's of good luck hon. Get out of that office. It will only get worse. Keep us posted.

Melinda

I agree, your doctor is not very good. He doesn't seem to be willing to put in much effort towards his patients care. My surgeon does all my fills (and unfills when needed) although not under a barium swallow. He met me at the office once, on a day he's not usually there, for an unfill. I don't think that is too much to ask at all, it's serious when you can't keep anything down. His nursing staff is great as well. I would switch doc's if I was you. Good luck!

I'm with the others on this: find another doctor. I will see my PA for fills. But the office staff is wonderful and patient.

IMO you surgeon sounds like an absolute TOOL. My one experience with an overfill (my fault for not speaking up), my surgeon saw me the next morning and apologized to ME. He was also apologetic after my band placement when it slipped and he had to redo it the next day.

I think a surgeon should be personable and easy to deal with. I like mine so much I am leaving the current office this week when he does

If you can't get any satisfaction out of him,,, switch Dr.'s. You already had surgery, your doing what your suppose to, and losing weight... They look for success stories, and a Center of Excellence is a nice way to start.

I had a Great Surgeon, but TERRABLE !! After Care.. Now I see a Dr. that was taught by him. "I THOUGHT HERE WE GO AGAIN !" but,, he's not that way. He even told me that My Old Surgeon was a Pain in the @ss ! SO TRUE ! He also said we don't work that way here. So far,,, It's been Great ! In fact I see him Monday for a tweaking.

well... I'd say your surgeon is worse than usual and your friends' surgeon is better than usual biggrin.gif

my surgeon is only in the office one day a week, because he splits his time between two surgical practices. So in my area, he does surgery on Tuesdays and is in the office Thursdays. If I want HIM to do my fill it has to be Thursday, but the practice (there are 2 other surgeons there) has a PA who also does fills, and I can see her for a fill any day but Friday- they don't fill on Friday to lessen the possibility that you'll end up in the ER, too tight, on the weekends.

No fills under fluoro for me either. If I have a problem I'm instructed to call and talk to the PA. Now that the surgery is over I don't have much contact with my surgeon... he did one of my post-op checks so far and he'll do the 6 month one too, but I'm pretty much under the care of the PA and the nutritionist now, not really under his care.

I don't have his cell phone number laugh.gif but again, I don't know how much of this is due to him working in 2 offices that are pretty far apart. And his staff is wonderful, and very well trained, and I certainly feel in good hands with them.

About the same with me. My surgeon is split between 2 practices, plus I know he is doing surgery twice a week. But he does see me every time I have a office visit, and he does the fills.

No fluoro either. Drink a cup of Water before I leave.

Cell Phone??? Why would I want to call him???? I deal with patients and their families every day. The last thing I want is to have them have my cell #.

There is always somebody in the office if I need help at least 2 PA's that I know about. I've gone to his other location when I was doing the pre-op thing.

My doctor will see any patient any time of day any day of the week. He is the chief of doctors at his hospital and does bariatrics, plastics, endoscopic exams etc. He does surgeries and sees patients every day. I like this better then a doctor who only sees patients a few days a week because we can't schedule our overfills :P

Whenever any one needs an emergency unfill we can call him or his assistant or the hospital. Sometimes he is pulled from a surgery just for an unfill if it is serious. Generally he starts seeing patients at 9am but if someone cant wait that late he will come in earlier so they can get an unfill.

A doctor who wont help you or makes you wait almost a week for an unfill when you cant swallow your own saliva doesnt seem very nice. My doc says that is his responsibility to help his patients when they need unfills. Since he is the one that puts in the saline he should take care of any problems from doing so right away.

I hope your doctor isn't so rude anymore or that you find a new good doctor.

I haven't had any problems, so honestly I can't say how my doc is in regards to that. But if a doctor won't go back to the hospital to see a post op patient with complications, that is horrible and I wouldn't want him as my doc. My doc just moved his practice however and now it seems he only sees patients 3 days a week. I guess he's in surgery the other two.