Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

adkins diet post op????

Shelly, I have been on Atkins since I was banded. I have lost 30 ponds in six weeks, but I also watch my calories since I have no restriction and have not had a fill. It has not been difficult at all to do. I make sure I have lots of varieties of meats and cheeses and I eat salad, endive, asparagus, broccoli and many more veggies. My big treat of the day is an Atkins Breakfast bar. The choice is either Cinammon roll or Apple Crisp at 160 calories and 2 carb grams. I also do not exceed 1100 calories a day. I am extremely insulin resistant and even if I wanted the sugar or carbs, and even with a fill, I would still have to be extremely careful about the carb intake. I know that I would still lose weight, but it would be at a slower pace if I ate chocolate and rice and potatoes:D

thats Great!!!!!! 30 lbs in 6 weeks!!!!!

i think it will be easier to do post op and your email makes me very exited!

i am on a liquid diet for the next two weeks (pre-op diet) and i am trying to stick to the adtkins now. i am drinking 2 high protien no carb/sugar shakes and eat a 500 calorie meal a day (700 cal. a day im starved). i am going to try to stay on it through my mushy phase right into regular foods.

what did you eat post op? i have been concerned about what i would eat then besides the Protein shakes. my Boyfriend is a chef and he said he will make me some homeade chicken Soup with adtkins veggies that we can blend and he can eat the chicken. other than that i am a little stumped. that should be enough though to get through the liquid stage. for mushies i'll eat the Soup with the chicken, or chicken salad, or egg salad.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!KEEP LOSING!!!!!!

michelle

OOps. I lost my message that I typed. Dont know how I did this. Shelly you can have low carb Soups. You can find them on the internet on multiple low carb web sites. You can also eat Campbells creamy Soups in small quantities. They have carbs but since you will only be eating very little of them you can keep it under 20 still . I add blue cheese on top of them and unflavored soy Protein isolate that you can buy at GNC. My typical solid food diet is as follows:

Breakfast:

Decaf coffee with Splenda and 1 teaspoon of cream

25 calories

1 Carb

lunch

Low carb tortilla with a can of tuna or smoked turkey

Company (la Tortilla Factory) can be found in many grocery stores

Lettuce and one slice of Tomato

1 teaspoon diet mayonaisse

1 ounce shredded cheese

1 teaspoon of hot sauce or garlic sauce

Total Carbs: 7

Total calories: 335 to 350

Dinner:

6 ounces of fish, chicken or 4 ounces of beef

or pork

2 ounces of any kind of low carb vegetable or half cup of salad

4 tablespoons of homemade coleslaw using diet mayonaisse and splenda to make it sweet. Buy the prepackaged coleslaw already chopped up. Eat only half the normal serving. Its still a lot!!

Total Carbs: 3-5

Total Calories: 400 give or take depending whether fish or beef

Snack: 1 Atkins Breakfast Bar either Cinnamon Roll flavor or Apple Crisp

Carbs: 2

Calories: 160

Protein: 14

Total daily Protein average: 50-85 grams

Total Daily Carbs: Between 11-14

Total Calories: 900-1100 depending on whether or not I have my breakfast bar in the evening

Drink lots of Water !!!! If you get bored, drink Crystal Light decaf teas or some other decaf flavor.

Hope that helps!!!!

WOW!!! thank you so much!!!!! i will check online to see if i can find some low carb food dealers!

i was thinking thats alot of food for a bandster then i rembered you were PREFILL!!!!! you are doing great! just think when you get your fill it'll be even easier!

i like how you squeeze in the tortilla! i am going to try to eat a few potatoes. i figure if i can only eat a half a cup total food per serving i could eat 1 egg and 1/8 cup potatoes (5 carbs) to sop up the grease.

that will still leave me with the other 15 carbs to play with. the morning is when i have the hardest time with the adtkins. i can eat meat and cheeses and veggies the rest of the day. its having to eat eggs with bacon that i struggle with. i started doing protien shakes but the taste-:sick not good! i am doing it though!

i am looking foreward to the band to see this work for me!

Again Great Job!

Michelle

325/322/200

Did anyone ever read the Sugar Busters book? It's more healthy protien(low fat), no sugar including foods that turn into sugar like white bread, white potatoes, white rice, white Pasta etc. I read the Atkins and the protien power and the carbo addics blah blah blah. I always thought the sugar busters was the easiest to understand and it allows you to eat chocolate and ice cream in moderation. Yipee. I think it's a very healthy menu choice. Of course I couldn't follow it completely or I wouldn't be as big as I am now. It said to eat 1 normal plateful of food. I can eat a third of that now so watch out. I'm gonna be loosing the weight

Yes i have read the sugarbusters and will follow a cross between the adtkins and sugarbusters. There is a brand sold here in TN called Hodgson Mills they make Pasta and bread flour that is 100% stone ground whole wheat and if i want mac and cheese it will be made with that! same with spagetti or Pasta salad or the bread rolls!

the flour hasnt been refined and doesnt turn into sugar like - as much as regular bread or most any mainstream product. its no wonder americans are so overweight. Thats what is most cheap, convienent and tastes good. i never realized it till a few years ago.

The foods that i eat are made from scratch and yummy!!!! of course my boyfriend is a chef! :) thats part of how i got so big- he just cooks so good and i do love food!

do you know where to get a copy of the sugarbusters food list? i cant remember all of the veggies you are allowed to eat?!?

michelle

325-322-150

GETTING BANDED 8-18-03!

I lent my book to my mom and haven't seen it since. If I remember correctly corn, carrots, and beets were the veggies you were supposed to avoid. Watermelon was another no no. I guess I'm gonna have to go over to mom's today and see if I can get my book back. If nothing else, it's a very good read and makes good sense.

Originally posted by shellyj

i started doing protien shakes but the taste-:sick not good! i am doing it though!

Have you tried the Kashi Protein shakes? I make the chocolate one with 2 scoops of powder, 1/2 cup of crushed ice and 3/4 cup 1% milk and blend in the blender. I hate most Protein Shakes but my hubby and I LOVE the Kashi one this way. It has some outrageous amount of Protein like 30 grams! Very yummy and satisfying.