Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

adkins diet post op????

just wondering if any of you have done adtkins post op??? since the dr.'s say to get protien then veggies then carbs i would imagine that it would be an easy diet to follow.

i have been doing adtkins pre op and my main problem is the quantity it takes to keep me full. i am sick of meat and cheese and especially eggs. but i think if i am only able to eat a 1/2 cup of food it wont be as hard.

i get my surgery date TOMMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am so exited. it should only be 3 weeks or less according to the dr's office! my first goal will be to lose 50 pounds by christmas?

thanks is advance! michelle

Michelle,

Why would you want to go on another "diet" after your surgery ? Aren't you sick of "diets." I think the lap band is supposed to be a tool that helps you change your entire lifestyle. It's not just another diet.

For what I see and hear you should be able to eat normal varieties of food (not just meat, cheese and eggs) and still loose weight.

alex-

if it is recommended that you eat Protein first then veggies then carbs with a few good food choices you could be doing the adtkins.

i am just trying to use the band as a tool to get the weight off before i try to eat the things that got me where i am today. thats why i am asking if anyone has had success doing the adtkins. it is not a fad diet. it teaches you about what you are eating, not just fat but also carbs and sugar wich your body will turn into fat. i want to optimize my weight loss.

if you only can eat a 1/2 cup of food per serving you could still eat some rice, potatoes, Pasta ( 1/8 cup once a day) or whatever your carb of choice may be but if you are just careful about what else you eat in the day and stay below 20 carbs a day then your body is in a thing called ketosis which is where your body uses your stored energy- FAT and thus you lose weight.

you dont have to just eat meat cheese and eggs. you can also have 3 cups of certian veggies a day.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

if you copy and paste that into your address bar it will take the acceptable foods. the things i have learned about food from their site will affect my food choices for the rest of my life. maybe you should check it out. i am sick of diets but like i said with just a few food chioces combined with the band and i bet the results would be great.

thanks again, michelle

Michelle,

I was on the Atkins diet and I found that even though you can have certain veggies you still feel limited since you can't have any carbs. Most people I've talked to have found that they really have a hard time getting to Ketosis if they even have a drop of carbs.

Why not eat GOOD foods from all food categories in limited quantities (easier said then done :( ) ?

my thinking is that if i can eat 1 type of carb a day if i count them so you know what size portion i can have.

the thing i miss the most is fruit and if i am eating tiny portions i think i could eat a some fruit as long as the portion allows me stay under 20 carbs a day. i also miss the fries pizza and bread but the fruit and juice are what i miss the most.

one of my other thoughts was on the liquid diet why not do mostly protien shakes and sugar free Jello. it's not going to be fun either way so why not maximize losing. i started drinking the shakes for Breakfast (since i cant even look at an egg unless i have potaoes or toast to sop up the grease) and they are mildly filling to an unbanded food addict. dont care much for the cardboard aftertaste though!

this is all pre op thinking- who knows how i'll feel later!

thanks again michelle

Shelly, I think the very nature of bandster life is that we will eat a diet closer to Atkins' than anyone else's. But I for one will resist putting a name on my menu. It's just going to be ME making decisions for myself, with the band to help me.

I don't think you'll find anyone saying that high Protein, low carb is a bad way to eat. Whatever you call it, that's the Bandster way.

Originally posted by Alexandra

I don't think you'll find anyone saying that high Protein, low carb is a bad way to eat. Whatever you call it, that's the Bandster way.

Hmm..then I must not be a Bandster. :(

I eat a variety of foods from a variety of food groups. I *usually* eat my Protein first, but not always. Just depends on my mood. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, I eat pizza, bread, Pasta, potatoes. Just about a 1/3 of the portions I used to eat of these things. Following a diet after banding is not going to help me. My binge eating prior to surgery is deeply rooted in diets. As soon as I even think the word "diet", I feel the urge to binge.

I had the band to feel like a normal person. I don't count calories, I don't follow a diet plan...I simply eat what I feel like my body needs. Usually it's a normal sized portion of meat, veggies, starch and some chocolate for dessert. :P I feel totally normal, and my relationship with food is getting better all of the time. The band for me isn't only about weight loss, but it's also about changing my whole lifestyle. I actually eat healthier now than I ever did on any diet.

Ah, and I've lost 61lbs in about 5 months with no fill this way. :Bunny

Did you hear me use the word "diet"? Oops, yes you did. :(

I should have said "menu." I'm totally with you, tangerine--I will never say "diet" again. The very idea of signing on to someone else's food plan and following a strict regimen is very off-putting to me.

Yet in the last year, when I started putting Protein before the carbs in my life, I lost almot 30 lbs. So "protein first" is definitely a mantra I'll remember. And when my intake is cut by 2/3 it will be more important than ever. But I have no intention of avoiding anything, especially chocolate! :P

Originally posted by Alexandra

But I have no intention of avoiding anything, especially chocolate! :P

Mmmm...chocolate. *drools*

I have to say that my chocolate comsumption is much less than it used to be. Before banding, I used to go for days eating nothing but chocolate. If I didn't have any in the house, I'd panic. Middle of the night runs to Wawa were very common. lol

But I think that then...chocolate was "bad". So chocolate was something I HAD to have. Now that I'm finally losing that diet mentality of bad foods and good foods, I don't get panicky if chocolate isn't in the house. It seems that I naturally gravitate to foods that are healthier for my body now. My focus is shifting from food as emotional comfort to food as fuel for my body. There's nothing wrong with Protein first..I do try to live that for the most part, but I really do try to save room for all of the other macronutrients as well.

I think that my biggest point is to listen to your body. What makes your body feel good? And I think it's also important to not forget what this journey is all about. It's not only abut weight loss. I tend to take the holistic approach and say that it's about growing emotionally as well. The band forces you to battle those food demons, and hopefully, deal with them in a healthy way. To restore normalcy when it comes to food. For me, normal isn't being on a diet.

Anyway, I was really responding to the whole thread in general, but your quotes, Alexandra, were the ones that I enjoyed the most, so I used them! I wasn't picking on ya, I swear. :( Really, this is all "to each his/her own" or "whatever works for you"...just wanted to throw my views on banding and dieting out there.

:Bunny (I do so love this wubbit)

thanks to all that have replied.

one of the main reasons i want to take an aggressive approach to this is that i weigh 325 so thats about 175 pound that i need to lose to be in my ideal weight catagory. i think i would be very content to get below 200. Anyhow i just know i have a long way to go and i cant wait to use my band!!!!!

i know that part of losing the weight will be dealing with those :( deamons :P . i think reading about other peoples journey (s) has made me already start thinking about how i got here and why. when i was a child i used to imagine a body suit i could put on that would make me thin. in the second grade i was dubbed big mac by all the skinny kids. i have my had parents tell me they wouldnt by me school clothes if i had to shop in the plus size dept. and countless other horrable situations. but mostly i think i have used my weight as a way to keep people out, from getting close to me. it has worked well.

i know this will be a tough road to go down but i am ready and i am not afraid.

michelle

PS i to have a torrid love affair with chocolate.mmm. i have started buying the adtkins chocolate bars. if you eat low carbs your body doesnt digest the fat and sugar alchohal

I think what Alex is trying to say is that we as bandster should step away from the diet mentality. The very purpose of the band is to have a tool to help you loose weight by making the volume you can put into your stomach smaller. Just eat whatever you feel like, as long as you don't only eat icecream, drink soda and other very high calorie Snacks, you should be able to loose weight. Slowly but surely!!

chocolate in moderation is no problem lols, just don't make it the first thing you grab when you feel hungry!!

i spoke with the nutritionist today and she thought it was a great idea combined with the band.

it is personnal preference and since i have so much to lose i will try it and let everyone know how it goes for me, or how long it lasts for me!

michelle

getting banded on august 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by shellyj

getting banded on august 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck with the surgery, keep us posted k!

I did Adkins pre band and one thing I noticed was how addicted I am to sugar and carbos. If I eat just one chip I want more. when I switched to the high Protein plan my cravings just disappeared.

No post band I am trying to do a modified Adkins. Making sure I get plenty of Protein but not the high fat stuff he recommends. I'm getting most of my carbs in the form of high Fiber fruits and vegetables. I avoid anything with refined flour or regular sugar.

I personally can't stand all the sugar free products but I'm not craving the sugar anymore so it is not really a problem.

I think we can call this healthy eating.

i am pre band and started my liquid diet yesterday. even in this stage i am trying to do low carbs and no sugar.

i have always had a problem with drinking sugar so i think 'none at all is where i need to be now'. in the past i have always done great with drinking Water but as soon as i had the first taste of a *real* coke or sweet tea with sugar and lemon i would quit with the Water and only drink sludge.

i HATE that i am eating so many chemicals in the *sweatner*. Turbinado is raw sugar cane -non refined- it tastes like reg sugar but it is brown. it is a better sugar. :D someday:p i think i can do sugar free products until i learn to control the sugar addict in me.

i to will be doing a modified adtkins. since my portions will be so small i fell like i can slip in 1 carb as long as it is a *good* choice.

how much weight have you lost?

any tips?