Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my name is Sophie and I just decided that I want to get a Lap Band! I want to thank everybody on these forums, I've been spending some time now reading all of your stories and insights and they've really helped to inform my decision. I have been struggling with weight since i was 8 years old. Now I'm 21 and it's really gotten out of control. I don't want the rest of my life to be defined by my weight. So i contacted my surgery center and will make an appointment to talk with a surgeon this week! I know this is just the beginning, but I fell like I need all the support I can get (my family isn't exactly on board).

Thanks for reading, I hope I'm not too boring and I cant wait to be successful like everyone on here who's inspired me :)

It has been 2 1/2 weeks for me so far I love it. The best thing I can tell you is:

carry a small note book with you and write all your questions in it. When you go to the Dr. take it out and ask away (write the answers in it) you will be so happy you did that.

Research Research Research oh and did I mention RESEARCH, you can never be too informed.

I went to 4 different surgeons seminars and I was so happy I did that. There are different things you can get with the lap band, one of them is plication ( I got this and so happy I did). I learned about It at one of the seminars. I also learned that there was a recall on the realize band awhile back.

As much as I wanted it done ASAP I was very very happy I took the time to research it and ask all of the questions I did, I believe it is really helping me in my recovery, I have no surprises.

My husband is a professional Chef and was not onboard with this, my son is a Chemist and he is so I understand what your going thru. All I can tell you is to keep talking to your family and take them to seminars with you. Prove to them you did not decide this on a whim and that your doing your research, this will help. My husband is supporting me in my decision and trying to understand it all.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything just drop me a note.

Theresa :rolleyes:

Hi, my name is Sophie and I just decided that I want to get a Lap Band! I want to thank everybody on these forums, I've been spending some time now reading all of your stories and insights and they've really helped to inform my decision. I have been struggling with weight since i was 8 years old. Now I'm 21 and it's really gotten out of control. I don't want the rest of my life to be defined by my weight. So i contacted my surgery center and will make an appointment to talk with a surgeon this week! I know this is just the beginning, but I fell like I need all the support I can get (my family isn't exactly on board).

Thanks for reading, I hope I'm not too boring and I cant wait to be successful like everyone on here who's inspired me :)

Welcome. and yes, many questions and write them down. I see my surgeon July 11 and with my insurance it is a 3 mo wait with the medically supervised diet,,, I pray to be done in 2011, I am working on my mind to be ready. right now I am eating what I love, paella etc cause, come july - the diet and excersize start. I hope all goes fabulously for you- and keep posting.. alot of posts on here are old, but very informative, good luck!!!

Hello Therea,

I just had my surgery yesterda and got the realize band,what did you hear about it being recalled?I am still in some pain getting in and out of bed.My port site is in pain and a litte spottng of blood,is that normal?about how long until the pain goes away?Also what is plication?

Alsohe best thing I can tell you is:

carry a small note book with you and write all your questions in it. When you go to the Dr. take it out and ask away (write the answers in it) you will be so happy you did that.

Research Research Research oh and did I mention RESEARCH, you can never be too informed.

I went to 4 different surgeons seminars and I was so happy I did that. There are different things you can get with the lap band, one of them is plication ( I got this and so happy I did). I learned about It at one of the seminars. I also learned that there was a recall on the realize band awhile back.

As much as I wanted it done ASAP I was very very happy I took the time to research it and ask all of the questions I did, I believe it is really helping me in my recovery, I have no surprises.

My husband is a professional Chef and was not onboard with this, my son is a Chemist and he is so I understand what your going thru. All I can tell you is to keep talking to your family and take them to seminars with you. Prove to them you did not decide this on a whim and that your doing your research, this will help. My husband is supporting me in my decision and trying to understand it all.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need anything just drop me a note.

Theresa :rolleyes:

When I went to a seminar Dr. Moran who goes around the country teaching surgeons how to do the band had a question and answer session after the seminar. I had just seen a commerical on television about people who had a hip replacement and now it was being recalled, and I told him this and asked the following questions:

Was any of the bands ever recalled? He said yes the realize band was recalled but that it was something to do with the FDA and I already knew from my research that I did not want that band.

I asked if there is a difference in the ports on the bands and I was shown both of them. There use to be a difference and then they were changed and now they are the same.

I asked every surgeon which one they do the most of and they all said Not the realize band. They all said in the end it is the patients choice however all we can do is give the statistics and most surgeons do Allergons lap band. Go to thier site, and check it out.

In the all I can say it comes down to what you decide on that is why research is so important in all of this. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't settle.

My surgeon gave me both bands to play with, he also gave me the needle to see how it goes into the port. I love my surgeon, the first thing he said in his seminar is "this is a marriage you better love me and I better love you, we need to communicate and be honest or this will not work"

Also my surgeon list on his web site any companies that he and his family is affiliated with.

I did reasearch this to death as you can tell, and if you have any question please ask me.:D

Theresa