Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHERE IS MY MOTIVATION??

Since my revision surgery in may, i have had zero motivation to work out. I try my best to eat good, but it seems like every weekend its someones birthday or some event that i have to attend, and eating out is difficult for me. I choose bad things like spinach and artichoke dip over a salad because i know it goes down easier. I also havea hard time not drinking while eating! I need to find motivation somehow.. i paid too much money to have this surgery and for it not to work for me is just a shame. So if anyone has any tips for motivation or anything please let me know :)

Thanks!!

Sounds like a support group meeting might help! Does your doctor's office offer them or is there one nearby? Try looking into it. Maybe purchase a book to keep you motivated, even a cookbook? Take up a new hobby !! When you go to events arrive late and leave early-bring low cal treats. When you go to a BBQ have a time that you will eat so you don't mucj throughout the day. Look up walking paths in your area and buy a good pair of sneakers and an ipod-go for 20 minutes walks 2-3 times a week and then each week add on to it a little more. I feel the same way-what if I have this surgery and I fail??!! Anytime negative thoughts enter yor mind redirect yourself!! Have a reward system in place for short erm goals. For example: When I lose 10 pounds I am treating myself to a massage, nails, facial, etc.

Goodluck!

I needed that NJ. Like Melly I was banded in April and feel the same way. Though I was told that the band is a tool not a magic gadget, I am doing poorly with eating correctly. Presently the upper area of my stomach is sore from eating too much yesterday. YES, I ADMIT IT! I have the book "I can Make You Thin". In it McKenna gives advice on things to do to trick the mind and discourage overeating. Many of the suggestions are those we are already aware of. I'm hoping reading it will motivate me to try some of what is being touted.

BTW, Id love to see a Gastric Band cookbook. Where can I get one? What is the title?

I'm the same way. We just have to hold ourselves accountable. But it's hard!

I highly reccomend you get some workouts in. It is so tough to start I know, it took me 3-4 months postop before I hit the gym. However, given a little time it will become routine. I have not grown to love it, as some people do, but I don't hate it. Again, it's a matte of routine, just part of my day. Start off slow and gradually increase your duration and/or intensity. I started out walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes. About a year later, I now jog on the treadmill for 30. I had been doing 45 minutes at a slower speed. When I kicked up the speed a little, I backed down to 30. I will work on getting back up to 45 over the next week or 2. There is something about workingout that helps with food choices. I don't really know why, but I know I started eating even better when I started going to the gym. I work out with a trainer, doing weights, 4 days a week. If you can afford it I highly reccomend it. Not only do they make sure you are doing the right form and know when to increase the weight et... it is a system of accountability. You could just hire one for a month or so, learn some moves and then do it on your own.

As far as eating, I swear by a low carb/low fat/high protien diet. I usually eat egg beaters for Breakfast, lunch and dinner are a lean protien and non-starchy veggie. I typically eat one snack of 2 low fat cheese sticks and 1/4c nuts. Some docs say no snacking, but I find it really helps get me through from lunch to dinner without getting too hungry. I think everyone needs to find what works for them. I don't see a problem with 1 or even 2 planned healthy Snacks.

You can do this! Best wishes.

Melly, I have a hard time when I go out to eat too. You'll be okay, but I do recommend trying to start up an exercise routine. Trust me.... it is so stinking hard to put on gym clothes and get to the gym, but the feeling afterwards is rewarding. I have faith in you!!

And I am SOOOOOO getting one of those cookbooks!

Nj, I just ordered the book from the first link. I can't wait to try these out. :)

Nj, I just ordered the book from the first link. I can't wait to try these out. :)

That's the book my nutritionist recommended. I think the recipes make 4 portions so you can freeze them. Let me know how you like the book!:)