Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Missouri

Guest billiebranham

It is hard to believe that it was six months ago this week and next week that my wife and I were banded. Time sure has gone by fast. Combined we have lost over 70 lbs. We have had three fills each. I have a total of 5.2 cc in my band and I think she has 4cc. She has lost over 32 pounds and I have lost 45 since my high of 250 in June of 2007.

We went for are 6 month check-up with the surgeon and he feels that we are doing really well. He also feels that we are almost or right at the sweet spot. He could have done an adjustment next week but we both felt that it might make us to tight and would have to come back for an unfill. He did leave it open that if we felt that we needed a fill that we could call him and go in and have it done. He also said that we are on track with loosing 1-3 lbs a week and that by September which will be one year that we should be down another 30- 40 lbs. With summer coming on and able to get out and do more exercise etc. I really feel that we will make it.

We are both very please so far with the loss in weight, and wish to thank every one for all your support, advice and friendship. Without I doubt we would be here today. I will say that the last 9 months have gone real fast and we have seen a lot of changes in our lives in regards to health and other issues. It has been a real learning experience. People have asked if it has been easy? I would have to tell them no it has not. I tell them that what you have to do is to take baby steps (or one step at a time). It is something that will no happen overnight. It takes a lot of work to change lifestyles and eating habits. It is something that does not happen overnight. One of the biggest issues I have dealt with is when going out and eating with other people is trying to eat real slowly while they are eating real fast. I will say that it has caused me to slim a lot and to have a few bp’s. I have also had issues with some types of foods. I eat most foods and not have a problem. I have had some issues with shredded pork, real thin potatoes. I have also notice that when eating sandwiches I do not eat hardly any of the bread. The head hunger is still there. My body is still trying to adjust to the fact that Iam eating less. My stomach still says I am hungry even though I am full. I really wish there was a way you can control this.

We have both notices changes in are bodies, we are down in clothes sizes, are bodies are a lot thinner and we have also noticed that we get colder easier than before. We are able to do a lot more things and spend longer times on them. For myself I have seen changes in my sleep apnea. I have gone from a setting of 12 down to a setting of 7. I am going from the machine to a herbest dental retainer to wear at night while sleeping. Iam only getting about 2 hours a night with the mask on. The doctor feels that this will work a lot better for me, since some people have problems. We have both gone to a new doctor who is band friendly and understands the issues that we are dealing with. I saw him on Monday as well and he said the blood pressure and all the blood test were good expect for my uric acid (gout) which is still high. Were not sure if the gout will go away or not at this time. My wife has had her meds changed and is slowly getting off of insulin and her other meds as well.

I know this is long but it has been a while since I have posted and I also wanted the new people that are coming in and getting ready for this procedure to understand that it does take work, it is not going to happen overnight and that the rewards are great. This has been one of the best things that we have done and would do it again.

Chris

I have sleep apnea also. I am suppose to have my CPAP setting at 8, but due to air had it lowered to 6. I have tried many different masks since my sleep study but yet have one to find that is comfortable and does not give me panic attacks due to feelings of claustraphobia. I am very interested in your Herbst dental device. Continue to post on how it is working.

Glad to someone else lives close to me. I also live in Lee's Summit. I was banded on April 29th and so far have lost twenty pounds since my first weigh in at Dr Malleys office. Of course the preband diet help but so far I am pleased. The left shoulder pain has finally left for good I hope. I was surprised that the worst days for the shoulder pain was the fifth and sixth day after surgery. Are there meeting etc. that people can go to and exchange ideas etc for recipes and general discussion of life after the banding.

I have sleep apnea also. I am suppose to have my CPAP setting at 8, but due to air had it lowered to 6. I have tried many different masks since my sleep study but yet have one to find that is comfortable and does not give me panic attacks due to feelings of claustraphobia. I am very interested in your Herbst dental device. Continue to post on how it is working.

In case you haven't heard of these, my sister uses the "nasal pillows" instead of a mask. You might ask about those for your claustrophobia. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

I just came across this thread and just wanted to introduce myself. :)My name is Jessica and I am from the St. Louis area. I was banded by Dr. Wagner on 1/14/08, and so far have lost a little over 50 lbs. Good luck to everyone!

I just came across this thread and just wanted to introduce myself. :)My name is Jessica and I am from the St. Louis area. I was banded by Dr. Wagner on 1/14/08, and so far have lost a little over 50 lbs. Good luck to everyone!

Welcome, You are about a month ahead of me. My surgery was February 15. My surgeon is Dr. Scott and I was at DePaul. I think you will enjoy this site, lots of good support.

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

I noticed that in the January timeframe there were some postings about lapband in the Columbia area. I had mine done at Boone Hospital. There are two doctors who do it. Dr. Pitt (only does lapband) and Dr. Peters (does lapband and other abdominal surgeries). They both are members of the same practice. I had mine done by Dr. Peters (he's great!).

Boone Hospital also has a monthly lapband support group and a monthly clothing exchange. The hospital webite gives you info on the informational seminars they offer on the procedure.

One final note -- I was turned down by my insurnace so I did self-pay. The cost was $12,500. That includes the dietician, physical theraphist, psych exam, surgeon's fee, and all hospital related expenses. You have surgery in the morning and are home by late afternoon.

--Bridget

Hi Everyone,

I noticed that in the January timeframe there were some postings about lapband in the Columbia area. I had mine done at Boone Hospital. There are two doctors who do it. Dr. Pitt (only does lapband) and Dr. Peters (does lapband and other abdominal surgeries). They both are members of the same practice. I had mine done by Dr. Peters (he's great!).

Boone Hospital also has a monthly lapband support group and a monthly clothing exchange. The hospital webite gives you info on the informational seminars they offer on the procedure.

One final note -- I was turned down by my insurnace so I did self-pay. The cost was $12,500. That includes the dietician, physical theraphist, psych exam, surgeon's fee, and all hospital related expenses. You have surgery in the morning and are home by late afternoon.

--Bridget

Hi, does the $12,500 also include any fills? I go to an informational seminar on Monday in Springfield, MO. I am self-pay and I believe it is more expensive in Springfield, but it does include fills for a year. I hope to be banded sometime this year. I have been doing a lot of research, but because of the fills I want something close to where I live. Columbia is a possibility.

Hi, does the $12,500 also include any fills? I go to an informational seminar on Monday in Springfield, MO. I am self-pay and I believe it is more expensive in Springfield, but it does include fills for a year. I hope to be banded sometime this year. I have been doing a lot of research, but because of the fills I want something close to where I live. Columbia is a possibility.

The Boone Hospital price includes 3 fills. After that it is $75/visit. My surgeon told me that in his experience after doing tons of bandings, he has found that by the 3rd month you are usually set at the right amount to lose 1-2 lbs a week (if you following the eating guidelines). He feels that after you may only need an adjust every 6-12 months or so until you reach your goal weight. However since I haven't had my first fill yet, I can't tell you this from expereince. However one great thing about Dr. Pitt (one of the surgeons) is that he wears a lapband so it adds some credence to his comments!

--Bridget

Hi everyone, I just found your Missouri group. I have only come across one other person on here from Missouri so decided to do a search and here you all are!

I live in Aldrich, MO which is 30 miles north of Springfield. I had my band surgery on June 18, 2008 by Dr. Christopher Edwards of St. John's hospital. He and his staff are awesome!

I would love to make some friends for support in the area. Our support group meets at St. John's on 2nd Mondays of the month. But I am on here all the time getting tips and giving encouragement!

Hope to hear from some of you! You know Missouri people are the friendliest around!:biggrin2:

Hi everyone, I just found your Missouri group. I have only come across one other person on here from Missouri so decided to do a search and here you all are!

I live in Aldrich, MO which is 30 miles north of Springfield. I had my band surgery on June 18, 2008 by Dr. Christopher Edwards of St. John's hospital. He and his staff are awesome!

I would love to make some friends for support in the area. Our support group meets at St. John's on 2nd Mondays of the month. But I am on here all the time getting tips and giving encouragement!

Hope to hear from some of you! You know Missouri people are the friendliest around!:biggrin2:

Ronda,

There is a thread on this site named, "Got Banded in Springfield, MO ???" that is mainly Dr. Edwards patients. If you haven't found it, thought you might want to know. Good luck in your weight loss journey.

Edited by BeverlyDiane

Who did your surgery? I'm having mine on monday w/dr. edwards. I'm from lebanon by the way. Do you like your band?

I'm having surgery w/dr edwards on monday. How are you doing w/your band? I have been thinking about attending the groups as well so might come this coming month

Who did your surgery? I'm having mine on monday w/dr. edwards. I'm from lebanon by the way. Do you like your band?

Deedra, I am from Lebanon also. I will be praying for you on Monday. I go the 10th for my 2nd consult and will find out my surgery date. All the pre-work is done. I am self-pay so I should not have too much longer to wait to be banded. Mary said three to four weeks. Do you know others in Lebanon who are banded or are going to be banded? It is always nice to know for the additional support. Check in again after your surgery so we know you are doing well and PM me if there is any thing I personally can do for you while you recover. Good luck and a speedy recovery. Dianne

I used Dr. Pitt at Boone Hospital in Columbia, Missouri. I really like him. I'm 2 1/2 weeks

post opp. good luck to you.

Pamdin, I just found this thread and have been reading thru them. You are the first person I found here that has used Dr Pitt. I was banded June 2, this year and I really liked him and his staff. You were banded what...t years ago? How is it going for you? I would love to hear your story. I go in next tuesday for my first fill. Can't wait!:biggrin2:

hi pamdin,

I also had my lap-band done by dr pitt w/ boone hospital on 1/31/05. I really like him too! Hope everything is going good!!

rosemanl

Rosemanl, I was banded by Dr Pitt on June 2nd. I would love to hear how you are doing. Please give us an update. I just found this thread and am doing a lot of reading! Go in for my first fill next tuesday and can't wait!