Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering if there are any other UMASS (University of Massachusetts) banders out there? Pre or post -op.

I just found out today that my insurance provider has approved my band surgery....YAAAYY!! I have been preparing since January and honestly thought the day would NEVER EVER come when I would finally get the "green light."

I don't have the date yet but it will be within the next 4-6 weeks....yikes! I was hoping to touch base with some other Umass banders for support. I l'd love to hear other people's experiences...

:rolleyes:

I am not at UMASS but do live in Billerica. I just finished my consultation day at Lahey this past week. I am looking to sign up for the 4 sessions prior to surgery (my surgery wont be until December, just because of time off at work). There is also offered a Support Group at Lahey - I am not sure where you are having surgery? Perhaps you can come to the support group. It is every month, the last Tuesday of the month. I have to look at my paperwork at home to see what time. Would love additional support as well. My husband is semi supportive (he doesnt like the idea of surgery b/c there is always a risk) and I dont have any family here (just my inlaws - who tend to be negative). I am going it alone mostly. I have my mom's support (via phone).

Just wondering if there are any other UMASS (University of Massachusetts) banders out there? Pre or post -op.

I just found out today that my insurance provider has approved my band surgery....YAAAYY!! I have been preparing since January and honestly thought the day would NEVER EVER come when I would finally get the "green light."

I don't have the date yet but it will be within the next 4-6 weeks....yikes! I was hoping to touch base with some other Umass banders for support. I l'd love to hear other people's experiences...

Hey there!

Our stories are so similar! I am having the surgery at Umass, hopefully within the next month or so. I have jumped through ALL of the hoops...classes, tests, evaluations, approvals and appts. I am just waiting for the Dr to call and schedule the actual day. (which is extremely painful just sitting waiting) I'm not an impatient person, but this is driving me nuts LOL

My husband is also supportive yet reserved. He's been right there with me through out the entire process. He is terrified that there will be some risk or freak accident. Just shows how much he loves me lol. I haven't even discussed the surgery with my mother, she lives 1500 miles away and isn't very supportive either. But The rest of my family and friends have been amazing, but dont really get what I'm going through. Thats why I reached out to people on here.

I didn't realize that Lahey also did WLS. Thats great! How long ago did you decide to go through with this? I have been considering it for almost 3 years? I began the process once before and chickened out. A few years and 50 lbs later, I realized I couldn't do it on my own. So here I am, glad to hear from you :)

Just got off the phone with my surgeon's office....surgery is scheduled for july 5th! I think I'm even more nervous now!

I had my surgery done at Lahey by Dr. Brahms. I was very happy with his work. Very lucky not to have any gas pains after surgery that others suffer from. Make the most of the Mindful eating classes those are REALLY important.

Thanks so much for the advise! I am taking all of the advise and encouragement I can get right now. I have som many things going through my....eager to get it over with and start my new life!

Congratulations on getting your surgery date! I was banded at UMass back in February and I think it's a great program. Which surgeon do you have?

Congratulations on getting your surgery date! I was banded at UMass back in February and I think it's a great program. Which surgeon do you have?

HI!

I am so happy to hear from Umass folks! My surgeon is Dr. Perugini. I've only met him once but he was pretty straight forward and confident. Who did you have? I was going to request Dr. Kelly only because I had met him a few times, but I think I'm happier with Dr. Perugini.

I'm being banded on July 5th..woohoo! You were banded in February huh? How are feeling and doing? Being 4 monthes out, how do you feel about your decision? How is your progress? How have your fills been going?

As you can see I have lots of questions (LOL) I haven't met any banders from Umass at all. In fact, when I took my pre-surgical skills class I was the one and only bander. They were ALL having by-pass surgery. It made me second guess my decision at first, but after ALOT of thinking, I've decided its still the right choice for me.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

My surgery was done by Dr. Kelly, just luck of the draw but I was very happy with him and his staff (NP and fellow). They've been great. I see Kathleen for nutrition and she's been helpful, too. They've been very clear about what to expect and I must say, they've been right on target.

I've had two fills and so far and have lost 48 lbs since my surgery. Wow - I hadn't realized that! I lost a good chunk right after my surgery and then it really slowed down - to exactly where the doctors said it would be, 1-2 lbs per week. I feel great and am grateful to say I've had no problems. :D I also think I've done a good job of following the docs' instructions. Right now, one of my biggest challenges is dealing with having my clothes too big, but I think I'll refrain from complaining!

My experience was same as yours - no one in my pre-surgical skills class was being banded, all were going the bypass route, and so the content was skewed that way. I found the same thing at the monthly support meeting. I can say that although I've only attended once so far that I can see where it would still be helpful. Very glad to know of another UMass Bandster! Overall, I am VERY happy with my choice. I hope you'll soon be able to say the same thing!

Hey there!

I have also been seeing Kathleen for nutrition. I find her a bit dull, but then again how exciting can her job really be? LOL She has been great all along and her suggestions are always soooo helpful. I am so encouraged to hear that your experience has been so wonderful at/with umass. They've been awesome so far but it was starting to weigh on me that I hadn't met anyone in my boat. Dr. Perugini even seemed to lean towards the bypass method, but I stand firm that the band is the right choice for me! :D

I just found out today that I can take 4 weeks off of work using my sick and vacation time. AMEN! Now I don't feel like i'll be rushed afterwards. I'll have time to properly heal. How long did you need to take off after your band? How did you feel right after you woke up, and then at home? Did they give you pain medication? I am so paranoid that I'm going to be in a lot of pain and not get any relief. After having both of my children I breastfed so I was only allowed mortrin. I know its a completely different circumstance, its just makes me worry.

Also. do you go to the monthly support meetings often? I was hoping to go this month but I'd have to miss my little guys last t-ball game...he'd be crushed! So I am going to attend next month, post band. (Can't believe I'll be "post-band" then) If you're there, we'll have to say hello!

Thank you SO much for all your information and well wishes!!

That's great that you're able to get that much time off of work. I only took off a week and although I was a little tired when I went back to work it was totally okay. I felt okay right after the surgery, actually I was really nauseated in recovery and that was unexpected for me. But once that got under control I felt okay - until I pushed it too far. I just got tired and sore and was trying too hard to keep walking to get rid of the gas pain, which wasn't too bad but definitely uncomfortable and I know that some people really suffer with it. Because I have sleep apnea I had to stay over - you'll notice I didn't say that I had to sleep over, because there was very little sleep. :P Even after discharge, for me the pain was mild. Again, I think I was well prepared with good information so I had appropriate expectations, always a good thing.

Of course you cannot miss the last t-ball game! July is always a possibility and it would be good to have bandsters represented!

Lastly, I think I saw your question in another post, but I did have to have the esophageal test you mentioned. For that, I was not well-prepared. Honestly, no one told me what was involved and I can honestly say that for me it was the worst part of the whole surgical process. I'm sorry to have to say that. It involved a tube placed through my nose and into my esophagus and then a series of sips of Water (with the tube in place) while the pressures in my esophagus were measured (I think). Very unpleasant. I hope yours will be much more comfortable. However, I know this was considered an important test and I'm glad that the results we okay!

Again, thank you SOOO much for all of the useful information. I have been expecting the nausea after surgery, its the gas pains after that came unexpected. Why wouldn't they take the air out when they're done? I'm sure there is an explanation for it, but it seems silly doesn't it? Maybe they get as much as they can, they just can't get ALL of it? Who knows, either way I'll just have to deal because they outcome is going feel so much better than any gas pains. :D

Did they give you any pain medication? The weight center recommends the book Weight Loss for Dummies (which I bought) and it doesn't really address the issue. Basically, I just want to know if you get something more effective then tylenol or ibuprofen?

I am a bit anxious about the esophagus testing, thanks for being so honest by the way! Some people on this site are so band-happy that they leave out the negative aspects. When you had the test, was getting knocked out an option? HA

LOL on the getting knocked out for the test! Yeah, that would have been a big improvement for me. I suppose that might impede the swallowing. Even a little Versed would have been a help for sure. No harm in asking!

I think you've got exactly the right idea on the gas pain thing - they get out all they can but some remains. And yes, they did give me pain medication in the hospital, as well as a prescription for home. They gave me percosets, which were each cut up into four little pieces and that first day it took quite a while to take two pills!

Hey there!

I just wanted to give you an update. I had my endoscopy today and boy were you right! That was not pleasant at all LOL

On the bright side, it is over and done with and I am one step closer to getting banded...woohoo!! Next week I have all the pre-surgical testing at Memorial. Did you have to do that too? If so what did it entail. The notice says I could be there for a few hours. What was your experience?

You said in one of your other posts that the endoscopy was the worst part of your whole surgical process...how is that compared to how you felt right after surgery?

Enough about me, how is everything with you? How have you been? Last time you mentioned weightloss, you were down 48 lbs (congrats btw) Did you reach your first 50lb milestone? If not don't worry, I'm sure you'll get there soon!

Glad to hear it went well - and yes, you are one step closer to being banded! I didn't have endoscopy, but I had esophageal manometry. I don't think they're quite the same thing. But right after the surgery I was groggy and really nauseated but the pain wasn't bad. The grogginess took care of that. After that I did have some pain but I think I was pushing it to get all of the walking in. Really, I was unprepared and very uncomfortable for the esophagus test so nothing I've experienced since was as bad for me.

For the pre-admission testing it did take a few hours. There was a mini repeat of basically everything I'd done so far, meaning that I got weighed, had blood taken, an ECG, counseling with the nurse, another health history, asked a thousand times if I understood what I was doing and told the risks yet again. Nothing new there. Then I got my day of surgery instructions (what to bring, wear, etc.) including special bathing instructions for the night before the surgery and the morning of - it's designed to help prevent surgical site infections and I was more than happy to comply! Then it was off to see anesthesia for more warnings and a consent. And then it was another hurdle out of the way!

Yes, I crossed the 50 lb mark! I'm at 53 lbs lost since surgery and 65 pounds lost overall. I'm pretty happy with that.