Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello to All,

I will be 6 weeks post-op tomorrow and have only lost 12 lbs. I know that averages out to the 2 lbs per week that my doctor wants me to lose, but it just seems like for the past week since I got my first fill that things have slowed way down. I am losing inches and that is a good thing, but would love to see some more lbs go away forever. I am measuring my food, eating between 800-1000 calories with lots of Protein, drinking almost a gallon of Water a day and working out in some way everyday. I go back to the doctor on June 14th, I assume for a 2nd fill.

I am also hypo-thyroid and realize that this will affect my weight loss so my PCP is keeping a very good check on my levels and dosages to try and minimize my thyroid destroying this weight loss effort like it has so many others.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I might be needing to change or add. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great people on this forum for sharing their ideas and experiences with all of us newbies. :)

1-2lbs is the average weekly loss with the band; not sure what more you're expecting. You're not always going to see a decrease on the scale. Some week it'll be 2lbs, some weeks 1lb, some weeks a lovely 0lbs. In fact, it's much better that you are seeing inches lost; this means you are TRULY losing fat. Stepping on the scale doesn't prove fat-loss, it's proves a loss in mass, which could include fat, muscle, Water, or a combination of those.

Embrace your inches lost and be patient. My saying: weight-loss is never linear or constant. Keep that in mind. Good luck!

Hello to All,

I will be 6 weeks post-op tomorrow and have only lost 12 lbs. I know that averages out to the 2 lbs per week that my doctor wants me to lose, but it just seems like for the past week since I got my first fill that things have slowed way down. I am losing inches and that is a good thing, but would love to see some more lbs go away forever. I am measuring my food, eating between 800-1000 calories with lots of Protein, drinking almost a gallon of Water a day and working out in some way everyday. I go back to the doctor on June 14th, I assume for a 2nd fill.

I am also hypo-thyroid and realize that this will affect my weight loss so my PCP is keeping a very good check on my levels and dosages to try and minimize my thyroid destroying this weight loss effort like it has so many others.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I might be needing to change or add. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great people on this forum for sharing their ideas and experiences with all of us newbies. :)

Thanks! I like your saying and will keep it in mind as I make this journey. This journey is going to teach me patience as well I think.

1-2lbs is the average weekly loss with the band; not sure what more you're expecting. You're not always going to see a decrease on the scale. Some week it'll be 2lbs, some weeks 1lb, some weeks a lovely 0lbs. In fact, it's much better that you are seeing inches lost; this means you are TRULY losing fat. Stepping on the scale doesn't prove fat-loss, it's proves a loss in mass, which could include fat, muscle, Water, or a combination of those.

Embrace your inches lost and be patient. My saying: weight-loss is never linear or constant. Keep that in mind. Good luck!

Keep your head up! Does your dr have the scale that prints off the measurements? My dr has a special scale that documents how much fat mass, Water mass, etc you have and analyzes all kinds of stuff. If you're able to get on one of those scales, I'm sure it would show you're losing fat and gaining muscle! Keep working out and going strong, slow and steady wins the race, right? :)

Hello to All,

I can feel your pain. I am a slow loser as well. I do find that I am losing inches rather than fast weight loss. Do you have any clothes that are far from fitting. Try trying them on once a week to see how much "size" you are losing vs. pounds. Also are you doing a lot of exercise? You could be losing fat but adding muscle which needs to show up on the scale somehow.

Fessie, I am hypo-thyroid also and I definitely feel your pain in how slow our weight loss can be. I have lost abt the same amount as you and am 8 weeks post op. I am just thankful to finally be losing weight. What was getting me was seeing people post 25-35 pds lost that were banded around the same time as myself. These same people were posting about eating oreo Cookies and pizza, while I was staying strictly to the band diet, portion sizes and excersing. Even in the early stages on a liquid diet I lost very little.

I am over being bothered by that now and will just be thankful for my pound here and there. I started a post last week for hypothyroid bandsters you should read. Shirley54 had some very encouraging things to say and shared her slow weight loss as well.

Be careful not to set unrealistic expectations because it can lead to a lot of frustration. Also, don't compare your weight loss to others - everyone's journey is different. You will have weeks where you do everything right and don't lose at all and others when you don't eat right and lose...it is very unpredictable. I also recommend taking your measurements because when the scale isn't moving much you can take your measurements and see how far you've come.

Eat 1,200 to 1,500 calories keeping the fat down. That will help allot. to little calories and exercise to your body freaks out and needs energy to burn fat so in turn you need to eat at least that amount.

I met a friend for lunch last week -- she's lost 125 lbs with the band.

She asked me how it was going and I said "okay, kind of slow going". She then asked me how many cc's in my band, to which I told her about 3. She then said "Once you get a few more cc's in your band you will really start to lose, you don't have much in there right now".

When I see a friend who was very heavy and she tells me it does get better with more fills, that encourages me. So in time we'll both be there!

I agree also! 20-somethings without families to feed overall lose a lot faster than us adults who have slowed metabolism now. It was a LOT faster and easier to lose weight at 25 vs. 30's and 40's and older.

Be careful not to set unrealistic expectations because it can lead to a lot of frustration. Also, don't compare your weight loss to others - everyone's journey is different. You will have weeks where you do everything right and don't lose at all and others when you don't eat right and lose...it is very unpredictable. I also recommend taking your measurements because when the scale isn't moving much you can take your measurements and see how far you've come.

I feel ur pain... I've been stuck @ the same weight for 18 days! It can be very frustrating. I just hope it's over soon.

There is one of those at my doctors office, he had me get on it at my first appointment, but hasn't mentioned it since then. I may ask about it at my next appointment. Thanks for the idea!!

Keep your head up! Does your dr have the scale that prints off the measurements? My dr has a special scale that documents how much fat mass, Water mass, etc you have and analyzes all kinds of stuff. If you're able to get on one of those scales, I'm sure it would show you're losing fat and gaining muscle! Keep working out and going strong, slow and steady wins the race, right? :)

I am glad that I am not the only one. I am wearing a size smaller in jeans, but my shirts are not changing much yet. I hope that you are right about the scales showing added muscle weight instead of me weight. I am working out in some way everyday and have wondered if I need to take a break for a day or so, might do that this weekend. The instructor at my gym always says that you can weigh 250 and look like you weigh 200 if you are losing inches and toning up, so for now that will be my thought to. Thanks for the encouragement and the understanding. Good luck to you in this journey.

I can feel your pain. I am a slow loser as well. I do find that I am losing inches rather than fast weight loss. Do you have any clothes that are far from fitting. Try trying them on once a week to see how much "size" you are losing vs. pounds. Also are you doing a lot of exercise? You could be losing fat but adding muscle which needs to show up on the scale somehow.

I found the post you were talking about and read it, it is so nice to hear other hypo-thyroid people having positive things to share with us. Thanks for sharing the information. I am like you when I see the huge losses in the same time when I am following my doctors orders exactly and am losing so slowly, but like you I am thankful for what I have lost.

Good luck on your journey!

Fessie, I am hypo-thyroid also and I definitely feel your pain in how slow our weight loss can be. I have lost abt the same amount as you and am 8 weeks post op. I am just thankful to finally be losing weight. What was getting me was seeing people post 25-35 pds lost that were banded around the same time as myself. These same people were posting about eating oreo Cookies and pizza, while I was staying strictly to the band diet, portion sizes and excersing. Even in the early stages on a liquid diet I lost very little.

I am over being bothered by that now and will just be thankful for my pound here and there. I started a post last week for hypothyroid bandsters you should read. Shirley54 had some very encouraging things to say and shared her slow weight loss as well.

I am finding out exactly how unpredictable this can all be that is for sure. I guess my biggest fear is that there was something wrong with my band, but have read many other posts and don't suffer from any of the warning signs of a problem. I will just take it slow and steady. I take measurements and BMI measurements once a month at my gym and do love seeing those inches disappear. Thanks for advice and I will try to be patient and not get frustrated.

Good luck to you.