Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Fill/Complete Blockage

I am 5 months post op, and have lost 45lbs to date. I have had 3 fills so far, and have had Fluid taken out of my band due to a complete blockage in April. I decided to leave it out due to the fact that I was going to be away from home for a few weeks and didnt want it to happen again. I had never had a problem before this happened, I had never even thrown up or anything. I believe that I ate too fast that night, and nothing that I did resolved the situation. I went back on the 19th of May to have the fluid put back in, did my days of liquids and mushies. The first day I was able to go back to solid foods it happened again. I got home from my sons' baseball game and it was late, I had made pulled pork in the slow cooker, it was cooking all day long and I shredded it, it was moist, but it completely clogged my band. I could not eat or drink anything again. I went like that for 12 hours before I could get into see the dr again in the morning. She took the fluid out of my band, and put it back in. This time when she did it though, she hit the port and it made a very painful popping sensation. Since then I have been itching at the site and it is red and a bit swollen. I know I am supposed to eat slowly and I do for the most part. I feel like I am constantly hungry though, all the time. I try to eat Protein, I will eat a scrambled egg in the morning and be hungry 15 minutes later, to the point where I feel like I could pass out. I just dont know when I will feel satisfied with this band, and not be focused on eating 24/7. it is all I seem to think about,.... is this something I can eat? will I be able to digest it? Will I be hungry again in a few minutes? I feel like I eat more now than I did before I had the surgery. Sorry for the vent, I just feel a little discouraged right now. I havent lost much weight in the last 2 months and feel like I have hit a plateau. Anyone else out there have problems with being blocked??? No one ever told me about sliming!! LOL

i havent had a fill yet and stories like yours (many of them!) make me not want to

i hope you feel better soon

what a drag.........

You know, there are certain foods that I have trouble with that do that....no matter how I chew or how slow I eat, I tend to struggle with them. Thankfully I have never been completely blocked, tho. Have you tried the papaya pills? You can buy them over the counter at the drugstore and they help for when you have food stuck - I have used them and it helps a lot!

I make BBQ chicken in the crock pot and then shred it up - and even as tender and juicy as it is I can have trouble after only a few bites of it being stuck.....I think stringy types of foods can do that. I tend to stick with what I know is safe...LOL I LOVE LOVE LOVE chili (especially from Wendy's!) and tuna salad....and I buy those 100 calorie packaged lunchmeats and take for lunch with some string cheese....

What you can and can't eat will vary....and how tight your band is can vary based on whether or not you are dehydrated and not drinking enough Water, if it's that time of the month, if you are sick (allergies and phlegm), stress.....they all can make you tighter....which makes it hard to determine what is causing our problems at times!

You might try a Protein shake to give you a Protein boost - I like the herbalife ones a lot as with skim milk and ice they are like a milkshake...and I just add some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protein to them....I LOVE them as they taste like a treat.

You shouldn't be hungry between meals....but you have to make sure you are eating good protein at every meal...that helps to carry you through between meals...and drink Water between meals when you do get hungry...sometimes we think we are hungry and we are really thirsty.

Hang in there!

I find I cant eat meat of any kind, it gets "stuck"... I can cut it in small pieces, chew 30 times and i still throw up, breads, pasta's same thing, I have best luck with mashes, and protien drinks keep me full.... I wish I had heard more stories like this I would not have done this, the throwing up and the slimming are annoying and painful.... I exercise 2 times a DAY, everyday, swim in the morning, gym or spin class at night............ fills arent painful but more annoying as well...........:(

good luck

That means that you are too tight. The band is designed to work best with solid Proteins not mashies and Protein Drinks. You should get some fill taken out as being too tight can lead to all sorts of problems.

I agree with elcee. You are definitely too tight.

As for marys....everyone is different but I absolutely CANNOT eat pork. I don't care how tender or juicy it is it's just not gonna go down. Don't worry about your current plateau. It's normal. I had months in the beginning where I only lost 2 or 3 pounds. Then all of a sudden I would lose 15-20. It catches up. Just keep on doing what you know you should.

I agree with elcee. You are definitely too tight.

As for marys....everyone is different but I absolutely CANNOT eat pork. I don't care how tender or juicy it is it's just not gonna go down. Don't worry about your current plateau. It's normal. I had months in the beginning where I only lost 2 or 3 pounds. Then all of a sudden I would lose 15-20. It catches up. Just keep on doing what you know you should.

I would appreciate your input...I'm six months out from surgery, have had 2 fills and have not lost even 1 pound since I went to solid foods. Very often at the beginning of a meal I get "stuck", but it will either pass, or I can vomit-move it, and then I can finish the meal with no further problem. am I just eating too fast to start? I'm trying to go slow, but obviously I'm hungry at that point so I can tell when I'm digging in. I think I'm too tight, until I realize I can eat more than I'm supposed to be able to eat once I get unstuck. Then I think I might need a fill since I can eat large portions, although I don't do that anymore. Getting some self control seems important. :)

I would appreciate your input...I'm six months out from surgery, have had 2 fills and have not lost even 1 pound since I went to solid foods. Very often at the beginning of a meal I get "stuck", but it will either pass, or I can vomit-move it, and then I can finish the meal with no further problem. am I just eating too fast to start? I'm trying to go slow, but obviously I'm hungry at that point so I can tell when I'm digging in. I think I'm too tight, until I realize I can eat more than I'm supposed to be able to eat once I get unstuck. Then I think I might need a fill since I can eat large portions, although I don't do that anymore. Getting some self control seems important. :)

This happens to me also. I had my surgery 14 months ago and I was losing very good at the beginning but now it is not happening. I have PB's from either eating too fast or not chewing long enough at the start of my meal. After the PB, I am able to finish my meal. I just keep thinking that the weight will start coming off again.