Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Toast is bad.. I had a stuck episode last week on vacation with toast for 4 hours.. NEVER AGAIN.... I agree sliming is gross... And my surgeon never mentioned sliming or pbing... I had vomitting for 4 weeks after my first fill..But the surgeon did a fluroscopy and said it wasnt the band. Turned out to be anxiety. then all of a sudden it stopped.. I am not a good chewer and you must chew chew chew.. I find now I prefer foods that are easier to go down.. I eat alot of scrambled eggs, greek yogurt , and crave creamy Peanut Butter like you can't image.. salads never get stuck for me for some reason, nor do nuts.. but I hear I am the exception so be careful. Fish is good.. Shrimp get stuck.. I DONT eat red meat or pork anymore.. I cant get it past the band. And chicken on rare occassion.. GOOD LUCK.. dont be afraid.. It is the best thing I ever did even with the vomitting.. You just have to learn to chew and you will do fine. Down 4 sizes since surgery in Jan.2011.

I can eat salad too, which was a pleasant surprise for me. I love Peanut Butter, but I have had it get stuck when I get too greedy with it. bread is pretty much evil to me now - but I still try it every so often to see if by some miracle I don't like it or that it might like me again. I don't really do red meat anymore either - but I find I can eat a burger now and then as long as it's not a pre-pressed patty

Thanks for all the insight everyone biggrin.gif

Your humor helped relax my fear from all of the reality stories. Now to teach my husband to have a sense of humor. But, I hope I'm one of the ones who doesn't have this stuff.

I want to add, keep a sense of humor. It is miserable sometimes, but you get some good stories.

When I get stuck my hubby usually just gives me space to do my thing. Once we were camping. Our motorhome doesn't have a lot of privacy. I was hanging over the sink (a favorite slime position) with the slime hanging from my mouth to the sink. It had little air bubbles about an inch apart running down the slime string. He passes by me and says, "oooh how pretty, a pearl necklace!" Snort! Slime everywhere!

Also, a tip...if you are going to urp into a public toilet, put a seat protector into the toilet, it will stop the backsplash into your eye (yes, I've had it happen!) It was a lesson in humility for me. After comment to my hubby how I could not understand how people could get stuck on grilled fish...buhbam! Stuck...urp, splash into the eye!!

Another tip about public toilets, beware of auto-flush. I got stuck at PF Chang's and was mid-urp and the darned thing flushed. I got a face shower!!

And my jury duty story....well, that's one for another day!!!

Weesie, you being calm-ish about it will help him to be OK with it. My hubby gets more upset than I do. Mainly because he doesn't like to see me hurting. I keep the dramatics to a minimum during a stuck episode. It is kind of funny, he can often tell before I can that I am getting stuck. Something about the far away look in my eyes as I am evaluating.

Follow your bandster rules. That will go a long way to minimizing problems. After a fill, go very easy for a while until you see what your new restriction level tolerates. There are lots of folks on LBT who have never had a stuck episode. I am not one of them. But I take it in stride. To me, it is a risk I run...sort of a cost of being healthier and thinner. I'll take the trade-off.

The best defense for a stuck episode is that at the very first sign of discomfort you STOP EATING! Give it a few minutes. Once the pain is gone, then you can continue with your meal. If you keep piling food on top of a potential stuckage, that is a recipe for disaster.

Yesterday, Hubs and I were having some chicken wings at a sports bar. I had taken a bite then went to say something to him. As I drew breath to speak and hunk of chicken slid down my throat unchewed...OH $H!T!!! ohmy.gif I haven't had that happen in about a year and a half. Normally I pay very close attention when eating, even if in a big group of people, convo is second to what is in my mouth. So, that was my last bite for a few minutes until I determined the results of such a boneheaded maneuver.

Turned out it must have been small enough and greasy enough to go through the stoma. But had it gotten stuck, I'd have slipped into the ladies room and taken care of it. It would have been over in minutes. I'd have been back to enjoying my day.

A lot of it with our spouses is about our attitudes. He sees me take it in stride, and so does he.

Your humor helped relax my fear from all of the reality stories. Now to teach my husband to have a sense of humor. But, I hope I'm one of the ones who doesn't have this stuff.

Weesie, you being calm-ish about it will help him to be OK with it. My hubby gets more upset than I do. Mainly because he doesn't like to see me hurting. I keep the dramatics to a minimum during a stuck episode. It is kind of funny, he can often tell before I can that I am getting stuck. Something about the far away look in my eyes as I am evaluating.

Cocoabean,

Thank you for the encouragement. All the people on these forums really are helping me feel more comfortable.