Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going in to be banded two weeks from today. These forums have given me so much incite to what life will be like after being banded. Thank you to EVERYONE! It's crazy the amount of information the surgeon doesn't tell you, even with my months of research I did on my own, I'm learning like crazy.... So my question........ What is sliming? :(

It's disgusting, that's what it is. When you get stuck your saliva goes into hyper drive and you start sliming. Not a good thing to do with company.

It's disgusting, that's what it is. When you get stuck your saliva goes into hyper drive and you start sliming. Not a good thing to do with company.

Omg! I hate to use it to reference but a dog drooling comes to mind. Like that? I would assume it's getting your body ready to possibly help it back out? Ahhhhh, I'm scared! Thanks for the info. Anything we can do to stop it?

Omg! I hate to use it to reference but a dog drooling comes to mind. Like that? I would assume it's getting your body ready to possibly help it back out? Ahhhhh, I'm scared! Thanks for the info. Anything we can do to stop it?

Nope, once it starts that's it until the stuck is gone. I make sure to keep spitting it out (sorry to be so gross) and that way, it won't go back into my pouch and make it worse.

Don't be scared, just excuse yourself to the bathroom like you got real business to do :)

Julia

PBing is worse. But don't worry think of it as incentive to chew , chew, chew.

PBing is worse. But don't worry think of it as incentive to chew , chew, chew.

PBing???? What's that? It's the craziest thing, I did research for almost a year and have learned more on this forum then what the doc's say or the general information available on the band. If you don't ask the right questions or know what to ask it's hard to get everything out of the doctor. Nothing speaks louder then personal experience.

I have asked several questions and have puzzled people in my doctors office, "Wow, great question, I have never been asked that before". I did NOT take my decision lightly and spent a lot of time trying to educate myself! Learning more so close to surgery after I thought I had it down is a little scary.

Even scarier is the fact that some people, as we have seen, did NOT research on their own and the surgeon's aren't going into details of the lifestyle after the fact. Don't get me wrong, it's not their job to hold your hand and watch what you put in your mouth BUT shouldn't they be guiding us in the right direction or at least let people know just how much this can change the rest of their life. I don't know, just some thoughts. Less than 2 weeks until bandland and I'm scared as heck! Excited! Anxious! Happy! Ugh, the emotions! lol

PBing???? What's that? It's the craziest thing, I did research for almost a year and have learned more on this forum then what the doc's say or the general information available on the band. If you don't ask the right questions or know what to ask it's hard to get everything out of the doctor. Nothing speaks louder then personal experience.

I have asked several questions and have puzzled people in my doctors office, "Wow, great question, I have never been asked that before". I did NOT take my decision lightly and spent a lot of time trying to educate myself! Learning more so close to surgery after I thought I had it down is a little scary.

Even scarier is the fact that some people, as we have seen, did NOT research on their own and the surgeon's aren't going into details of the lifestyle after the fact. Don't get me wrong, it's not their job to hold your hand and watch what you put in your mouth BUT shouldn't they be guiding us in the right direction or at least let people know just how much this can change the rest of their life. I don't know, just some thoughts. Less than 2 weeks until bandland and I'm scared as heck! Excited! Anxious! Happy! Ugh, the emotions! lol

PBing is the fun of either eating too fast or getting stuck and having a 'productive burp'. Kind of like when baby spits up. It's gross too. My episodes come hand in hand with the sliming.

For some reason, my surgeon didn't go into any of this either. I learned it all from this board. Glad you came here and are learning about this kind of stuff first. You'll be more successful in the end.

J.

Something I've found that helps when I do get stuck and start sliming (salivating too fast to control) and I can't PB, I take a few big drinks of Fluid and it dislodges the item that is stuck and comes out like projectile vomit. It totally empties the pouch. Though vomiting is bad when it generates from the stomach, this is a quick force out of the pouch only - not the stomach. So your pouch basically acts like a bellows and pushes hard against its contents and since there's something stuck, the Fluid goes down around it and everything comes up.

During the past two months while I was too tight this was incredibly helpful for me, I did this almost every other day because even some liquids (if they were too thick like some soups) would get stuck. I just had an unfill and visible swallow test done and my pouch is perfect, band is perfect, and that's after two months of almost daily "force clearing" of the pouch.

I don't recommend it, but if you are really and truly so uncomfortable you can't stand it - it is an option.

For me, when I slime it's almost the consistency of mucous (or maybe it IS mucous); much thicker than regular saliva. It's fascinating how quickly it happens. When something gets stuck (which isn't often for me) or I have one bite too many, I first get the hiccups which leads to the sliming, all of which happens within a few minutes. When it happens I can't swallow, have a hard time breathing...I've got to purge it up. Very rarely does any food come out, just the slime. Been having problems with it today; made the mistake of trying to eat toast and slimed for a good 10 minutes. It was AWFUL. My band got so irritated even drinking tea was making me slime! I finally had to lie down with a heating pad and hope for the best (also took some of my leftover nausea medicine from surgery); took a nap and felt MUCH better. You just have to be really careful about listening to your body. I never have problems until I tell myself "just one more bite"...

Toast is bad.. I had a stuck episode last week on vacation with toast for 4 hours.. NEVER AGAIN.... I agree sliming is gross... And my surgeon never mentioned sliming or pbing... I had vomitting for 4 weeks after my first fill..But the surgeon did a fluroscopy and said it wasnt the band. Turned out to be anxiety. then all of a sudden it stopped.. I am not a good chewer and you must chew chew chew.. I find now I prefer foods that are easier to go down.. I eat alot of scrambled eggs, greek yogurt , and crave creamy Peanut Butter like you can't image.. salads never get stuck for me for some reason, nor do nuts.. but I hear I am the exception so be careful. Fish is good.. Shrimp get stuck.. I DONT eat red meat or pork anymore.. I cant get it past the band. And chicken on rare occassion.. GOOD LUCK.. dont be afraid.. It is the best thing I ever did even with the vomitting.. You just have to learn to chew and you will do fine. Down 4 sizes since surgery in Jan.2011.

A lot of people have foods that their band won't tolerate. Others (like me) can tolerate any foods. You will just have to see what yours can tolerate. The advice to chew well is good...almost every one of my stuck/PB episodes resulted from eating too fast, taking bites that are too big, andnot chewing properly. Also, you should know that sometimes sliming can also come in the form of foam. On my worst stuck episode, what came up was white and foamy...a but freaky but no big deal.

I want to add, keep a sense of humor. It is miserable sometimes, but you get some good stories.

When I get stuck my hubby usually just gives me space to do my thing. Once we were camping. Our motorhome doesn't have a lot of privacy. I was hanging over the sink (a favorite slime position) with the slime hanging from my mouth to the sink. It had little air bubbles about an inch apart running down the slime string. He passes by me and says, "oooh how pretty, a pearl necklace!" Snort! Slime everywhere!

Also, a tip...if you are going to urp into a public toilet, put a seat protector into the toilet, it will stop the backsplash into your eye (yes, I've had it happen!) It was a lesson in humility for me. After comment to my hubby how I could not understand how people could get stuck on grilled fish...buhbam! Stuck...urp, splash into the eye!!

Another tip about public toilets, beware of auto-flush. I got stuck at PF Chang's and was mid-urp and the darned thing flushed. I got a face shower!!

And my jury duty story....well, that's one for another day!!!

Cocoa bean, I like your attitude!

Funny I have been banded nearly a year and was wondering what they acronyms were too - lol

The sliming - I call it "my teeth are sweating" just because there is too much liquid in my mouth.

never had a PB -

If I am stuck (like if I don't chew or if I am brave enough to eat more than like 3 bites of bread). I give it a minute and see "if this too shall pass" or I just go into the restroom and let the anti-gravity forces do there thing. It's not like vomiting because you don't really feel nasty after or have that vomit taste in your mouth. You just give the food back - and then move on. Truly not all that unpleasant.....

I want to add, keep a sense of humor. It is miserable sometimes, but you get some good stories.

When I get stuck my hubby usually just gives me space to do my thing. Once we were camping. Our motorhome doesn't have a lot of privacy. I was hanging over the sink (a favorite slime position) with the slime hanging from my mouth to the sink. It had little air bubbles about an inch apart running down the slime string. He passes by me and says, "oooh how pretty, a pearl necklace!" Snort! Slime everywhere!

Also, a tip...if you are going to urp into a public toilet, put a seat protector into the toilet, it will stop the backsplash into your eye (yes, I've had it happen!) It was a lesson in humility for me. After comment to my hubby how I could not understand how people could get stuck on grilled fish...buhbam! Stuck...urp, splash into the eye!!

Another tip about public toilets, beware of auto-flush. I got stuck at PF Chang's and was mid-urp and the darned thing flushed. I got a face shower!!

And my jury duty story....well, that's one for another day!!!

Coco - you just totally cracked me up. You're right though you have to keep a sense of humor. I will remember your PF Chang's story next time I go out to eat for sure. I tend to stick to Soup if I am out with anyone besides the hubby because I don't want to deal with the urp -