Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello

Im new to this site am in the process of getting all things together with ins and the doctor may have a surgery date in March??? I am worried about erosion of the band and also how well it will work for me. I am 50yrs, wgt.186, hgt 4'10, wanting to know how fast do you really lose the weight, and what should I ask the surgon about the size of the band and any other questions that I should I ask all help is greatly appreciated

Hi Little One,

Welcome!! I can't help too much with your questions, as I am still waiting for my surgery date - but I just wanted to say HI and maybe some of our more experienced Bandsters can chime in.

:]

Hi

Glad to hear from you hope all goes well you and your ins. and surgery. Yes I hope some one will chime in. I have read a few of the comments and it is beginning to scare me a little, erosion, removal of the band and infection....need more information someone help..thanks for your comments lets keep in touch...email me if you want

Erosion is not that common at least w/ my friends that had it done in the US. Personally I know of no one. I do have friends that have had erosion that went to Mexico. Four to be exact, that doesn't mean there is a corelation necessarily, it is just what I personally have witnessed.

As to your age, well we all know after 20 its just harder & harder to lose weight. There is no way to determin how fast anyone will lose. But a good measure of the weight will be in the prediet & than after your first fill. I have been banded for 7 mnths & am down 32 pounds. I personally think its very slow. Its alot of work. You will always need to "diet" That means watching your intake & the good nutrition you consume. You will need to exercise. This I think is a must to have the max. weight loss. As long as your willing to do these things the band works very well. Also the larger you are the faster(sometimes) the weight comes off. AS to ?? to ask your Doc- I suggest looking through this site & doing searches above for certain topics. You can really benefit by lurking about here. Try & stay away from any of the threads that are based on heresay. Stick with the facts only & you'll make a very educated decision.

As to the size of the bands there are "threads" on this - just do a search for size of bands. I beleivethere are 3 commonly used here in the USA but can't remember just now. I wish you much luck & good reading! Welcome!!

I 'm about 4 weeks post -op and have lost 30 pounds. I think many things can affect your rate of weight loss.( age, health etc.) Average weight loss is 2 pounds a week. Mine will most likely slow down to that. When you get the band it is not filled, some people feel a restriction just with putting the band in place ( I do, so far ) and others do not feel restriction until after they get a fill. Good luck on your journey and remember everyone will lose at different rates.

Good Luck,

NVanDevelde

Actually, @ 185, I'm surprised you meet the 40 BMI, usually required to have the band. I have not found the band to be a quick weight loss, although, I think the more you have to lose the faster you lose if that makes sense.

Good Luck.

Good morning all yes i do have comorbidities and they are.... cholesterol, blood pressure. sleep apnea,three knee surgeries with osteo-arthritis and the possibiltiy if double knee replacement if I don't get this fat off..so I am very much wanting to do something to succeed..have tried so many diets that I am sick of them and after hearing from all of you I do believe it will work for me with hard work, thank you for talking to me very much enjoy hearing from you

little one don't worry about the bad things you hear about the band, they still aren't as bad as carrying the weight around,and just remember you are hearing from the few that have problems not all of us thousands of happy ones. Yes the problems can happen, I pray that it don't happen to me, but if it does, I still am not sorry I got the band , it is like I got my life back, all my comorbidities are disappearing and at one time I thought I was resigned to living a slow life with disability looking me in the face and now 7 months later I feel like a normal person again. I have lost almost 90 pounds. but many have did really well and not lost as much it is very individual and sucess is about how you feel not about numbers.

good luck

patty103 I agree about the carring of the weight, some think at 186 you not fat enough to have this surgery but not everyone is 4'10 and have no knees to carry all this excess, I hope I have as much success as the people that replied to my questions Thank you keep in touch will let all know when the banding will be done also is there anyone that is familar with any Cincinnati Ohio doctors Dr. Trace Curry he will be doing mine or if you are located in Indiana let me know if you have had the banding