Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused...protein or calorie intake

I am just confused about what should I be watching....protein or calorie intake. Maybe it should be both. I want to consistently lose weight, but I having a difficult time as to what to do. Do I need to stay with certain calories or should I just be concerned about getting in the min 60gm Protein? ?? I need some suggestions, feedback.......please help me

I am just confused about what should I be watching....protein or calorie intake. Maybe it should be both. I want to consistently lose weight, but I having a difficult time as to what to do. Do I need to stay with certain calories or should I just be concerned about getting in the min 60gm Protein??? I need some suggestions, feedback.......please help me

Depends on the WOE you choose as to whether you count calories, but even on Weight Watchers it shouldn't be difficult to get 60gm Protein in...and the protein is what is going to help you keep from being hungry.

If you go low carb, and many people do have difficulty giving up the carbs, you might be able to lose weight more quickly *but* don't do it for that reason. This isn't a race. Just find a WOE you can live with consistently. :)

I do both, I eat my protiens first so I can make sure I get the 60g, and protiens keep you full longer, but I also count my calories. I try to eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day although I just had a fill 2 days ago and I am averaging more like 1000 a day. I don't know if you use anything to track your protien/calories but FitDay is a great place to keep track of everything from nutrition, exercise and weight loss. Good Luck to you.

I pay more attention to Protein than calories. But I'm not rigid on the Protein intake. I know I'll get a fair amount most days by eating a higher protein diet. What I do watch more closely is the carbs. I find that if I eat more carbs than protein, I don't lose weight. Reducing (but not eliminating) the carbs helps the protein be more effective, and the weight loss continues at a fairly steady rate.

At the end of the day if I've had around 80g of protein (or more), 50g of carbs, and a total of about 1200 calories, it's a good day. If I add in reasonable exercise and enough Water intake, I can expect the scale to move down. The trick is learning how your body processes what you give it, and what works for you. Don't overlook your Water intake. It makes a huge difference for me.

Good luck!

Dave

At the end of the day if I've had around 80g of Protein (or more), 50g of carbs, and a total of about 1200 calories, it's a good day. If I add in reasonable exercise and enough Water intake, I can expect the scale to move down. The trick is learning how your body processes what you give it, and what works for you. Don't overlook your Water intake. It makes a huge difference for me.

I agree, good advice

In all honesty I'm not counting calories...because what I'm eating I know won't add up to more than I should be doing (1200-1400). I focus on Protein first, with a goal of 60 gm a day. I personally don't believe protein keeps us fuller any longer than anythign else, that has more to do with how tight your band is and what consistency your food is (for how long it'll linger in the upper stomach). What protein DOES do, when you lower the caloric intake your body is used to, is cause your body to spare muscle mass and focus on utilizing enrgey from fat stores instead. If you're not meeting that protein requirement, the body will burn less fat and go to muscle instead. So, my goal is 4-5 ounces of protein three times a day (ground turkey, chicken, fish) and 1/2 cup veggies. I try to limit my carbs but do eat granola in my greek yogurt at least once a day and occasionally I'll indulge in a small amount of rice (1/4 or less). If I'm running short on protein I'll so Bariatric Addvantage powder in 8 oz nonfat milk (yum) or a Muscle milk Light (yuck). I've also done Jacks Links (?) beef jerkey cubes in a pinch, but I don't like their sodium content.

My nutritionist doesn't like to talk about calories laugh.gif She says it's more important to focus on having 4 oz. of Protein, then up to a cup of veggies, THEN some grain if you want it and are still hungry. I can't really pin her down on a target for calories because she says it's different for everyone and she doesn't want us to get hung up on counting calories, to the detriment of our Protein needs.

But.

You do have to watch other foods besides protein. Heck, I could eat 60g of protein a day and then after that only eat garlic bread until I was satisfied. I'd be getting the right amount of protein but I highly doubt I'd lose weight! Although it does sound delicious...

I do both. I try to get my recommended amount of Protein while keeping my calories at 1200 or below. I know you're not really supposed to count calories with the band but I have such a history of mindless eating that I journal everything to keep myself accountable.

I am so glad that everyone is averaging about 1200-1400 calories per day. That is what I do and it seems that I eat enough and eat healthy that way. I read all the time about people who eat 800 calories per day and wonder why they aren't loosing. As Elfie said above, this isn't a race!

I feel your frustration (sexyat44). :angry: I am so confused and lost on what i should eat. I sit here reading all these forums trying to get some answers on what I should be eating and what i should be concentrating on (Protein intake or calorie intake?) to lose weight and I just get more and more confused. I had my surgery in Mexico so I dont have a nutritionist to ask questions to. I know everyones says everyone is different but all i need is some guidance. I was banded on April 9th, so today is my 4 week post op and i have stayed at the same weight for the last 2 weeks and im ready to cry in frustration! All I want is to have a constant weekly weight loss, even a pound or 2 would be nice.

I currently try to keep my calorie intake from 1100-1300 a day. I dont eat less than 80 grams of Protein a day (all lean protein like fish, some tuna, no bacon, some grilled chicken, try to stay away from cold cuts). I drink no less than 90 oz of Water per day. I started working out last Monday on the treadmill for an hour a day. I stay away from all white carbs (I think i have only tried some white rice, no more than half a teaspoon). SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? WHAT SHOULD I CHANGE?

I am soooooooooooo lost and confused. :huh:

I feel your frustration (sexyat44). :angry: I am so confused and lost on what i should eat. I sit here reading all these forums trying to get some answers on what I should be eating and what i should be concentrating on (Protein intake or calorie intake?) to lose weight and I just get more and more confused. I had my surgery in Mexico so I dont have a nutritionist to ask questions to. I know everyones says everyone is different but all i need is some guidance. I was banded on April 9th, so today is my 4 week post op and i have stayed at the same weight for the last 2 weeks and im ready to cry in frustration! All I want is to have a constant weekly weight loss, even a pound or 2 would be nice.

I currently try to keep my calorie intake from 1100-1300 a day. I dont eat less than 80 grams of Protein a day (all lean protein like fish, some tuna, no bacon, some grilled chicken, try to stay away from cold cuts). I drink no less than 90 oz of Water per day. I started working out last Monday on the treadmill for an hour a day. I stay away from all white carbs (I think i have only tried some white rice, no more than half a teaspoon). SO WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? WHAT SHOULD I CHANGE?

I am soooooooooooo lost and confused. :huh:

Join the club. If you're like me and weight loss stalls I panic. I did low carb for a while and dropped some weight in the last 3-4 weeks. Now I am switching over to weight watchers which I know works because I have done it before. When I get tired of that I will go back to low carb. I really think that shaking things up makes a difference. I will see how the next few weeks go with weight watchers. Keep your chin up, i'm personally always confused however if I do want a quick weight loss I stick to low carb - problem for me is i'm having a hard time eating any solid meat because of my recent jaw surgery so need some softer foods - I had fish everyday for about 3 weeks and it's enough for now.:D I'm growing gills.

I am just confused about what should I be watching....protein or calorie intake. Maybe it should be both. I want to consistently lose weight, but I having a difficult time as to what to do. Do I need to stay with certain calories or should I just be concerned about getting in the min 60gm Protein??? I need some suggestions, feedback.......please help me

You are very early in your journey. You need to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. At this point the calories will take care of themselves.

Both. well, after you are healed and on solid foods... nothing happens for about 6 weeks. Then after your body adjusts the weight starts coming off.

About 60g of Protein an stay about 900-1200 calories. Both are important. I mostly watch calories. It's super easy to go over 1200 calories.