Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All. I am seeing a surgeon next Wednesday for my first consult, and was just wondering if you could share 3 positive outcomes and 3 negative outcomes you have personally experienced from having the lap band procedure. So that l can weigh up real life experiences to assist in my decision xx Finallyhappy

OK lemme think on that.....

Pro's are easy ---- weight loss, more energy, clothes are fun again, "eat to live instead of live to eat" mentality is great

Cons....well it was really hard at first - had to focus to learn to chew chew chew and eat the rights foods that wouldn't get stuck....I find it annoying when people would say "well you had surgery ___ months ago, why haven't you lost more?" as folks think the lapband is like the gastric bypass and you should get skinny in no time....but really, other than the occassional day that I feel ultra tight (which happens due to high humidity, female hormones, being dehydrated...) and I cannot manage to eat much, most of the time everything is great now, as I don't have to focus so much on chewing, etc.

It IS different for everyone, though.....no two people are exactly alike....so you have to choose what is best for you. You will need to be diligent in eating the right foods, exercising, and getting your fills in order for it to work for you.

Good luck!

Kim

3 plus's+ Weight loss+happiness+wearing normal size clothes

3 Cons - Some days I can eat some days I cant, I didnt think eating would become such a chore, that a plateu or stop in losing weight can last for months regardless of what you do to make the scale move.

Thanks ladies for your replies. I feel like l am ready to take the step and have the procedure, but just wanted to hear from those who have been there before me. The books and internet tells so much, but it is the personal experiences from real people l find valuable. But l will certainly bear in mind that everyone is different and so too are their challenges and triumphs. I just want to have a better quality life; happy and healthy in my own skin and if this ultimately is the outcome, then l am ready for the cons… Much Love, Finallyhappy

pros: Feeling healthy, looking healthy, able to do things you couldnt do before

Cons: You will be hungry that is a misconception, after the first big drop it gets harder to lose no matter how many fills you get, getting fills does not make you lose weight it just makes you not as hungry and another con is that drs want to fill you up quickly which leaves you with nothing to work with. Be sparingly on the fills do some of it on your own.

Thanks Misty that is good info to know. I have about 40kg to lose but to be honest with you if l could get even half that weight off l am sure l would feel 100% better. But l will aim for the 40kg all the same. I have a feeling the surgeon l am seeing prefers to do fills very sparingly, stating that it usually takes 3- 6 fills to get the desired amount. I appreciate having folks like your self to learn off, and to share with. Have a wonderful day xx

Hi Finally Happy!

If you haven't made it to a seminar yet, please do go to one.... I didn't think it would help me at all, but found speaking to people who have actually lived with the band, face-to-face, is soooo much help - so much so that I am actually going to be one of those speaking at a seminar this week! EEEK!

Anyway - onto your question

3 pros - there are so many more than 3, but if I think honestly about my top 3 they would be health (on joints, heart, lungs and more!), ease of dressing (sounds so simple but honestly, some days I get dressed and leave the house without even looking in the mirror to see how many rolls can be seen or what bits are sticking out that I want to hide!) and a sense of confidence (never in a million years would I have thought I would be willing to stand up in front of a group of strangers and say, yes, I used to weight over 150kgs and look at me now)....

3 cons - again, there are honestly more than 3, but they are mostly little things that I can live with.... the 3 I struggle with most are the odd day here and there where you are tighter than the day before - it can be frustrating because something you found easy to eat one day mysteriously can't be tolerated the next. The second one for me is that I have not told everyone in my life that I had the surgery, at the time I made the decision to have the surgery I was highly embarrassed that I had to resort to surgery in order to gain control of my life, however now I realise that it isn't anyone elses business except mine, the "con" being that if I go out for dinner (say a work dinner) then I have to be extremely careful what I order so that it isn't obvious to everyone that I have been hiding this big secret for many (4) years. This one may be of no problem to you depending on your decision in telling people. Thirdly, and this is one, sometimes you just get frustrated at the level of thought that has to go into each and every meal for the rest of your life. Some people will say that it shouldn't be that way, but for me, it is. It is the decision to eat healthy, the decision to sometimes attempt something that wasn't edible the day/week before, sometimes it's the (wrong) decision to just try something even though you are sure it's not going to work. And sometimes you will make the wrong decision, but we are human and we make mistakes. It would be nice to occassionally be able to flick a switch and turn the band off but in all honesty, I love it waaaaay more than I loved being fat. I don't like that word, but it's the truth.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - I hope in some way it has helped. If you are in Melbourne and would like to chat at all, PM me!

Good luck with your decision! :rolleyes: