Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support to get through pre-op diet!!

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found you all. I'm lucky to have a good support network at home, but they've not been through it, so they have a very limited understanding of what i'm going through. I'm on day two of my pre-op diet (two-weeks of 800-calories/day).

I don't feel that it's a realistic diet for me... not even for two weeks, so when I finished out yesterday at 1,300 calories (I know it's bad, but I was STARVING) I felt like I was failing before I had even started.

I'm interested in hearing others' pre-op diet stories. Are you guys also struggling this hard? Are all the pre-op diets this strict? I have a high BMI (52) so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but jeez.... it seems to me that 1200 calories a day would do the trick!!

My pre-op diet has pretty much consisted of low carbs. it's a modified Atkins diet. I'm shamed to say I've not been as compliant with it as I should have been. My surgery is going to be on Wednesday this week...I'm going to start over tomorrow in the hopes that I can do better...I don't want to start out failing on my new journey.

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad to have found you all. I'm lucky to have a good support network at home, but they've not been through it, so they have a very limited understanding of what i'm going through. I'm on day two of my pre-op diet (two-weeks of 800-calories/day).

I don't feel that it's a realistic diet for me... not even for two weeks, so when I finished out yesterday at 1,300 calories (I know it's bad, but I was STARVING) I felt like I was failing before I had even started.

I'm interested in hearing others' pre-op diet stories. Are you guys also struggling this hard? Are all the pre-op diets this strict? I have a high BMI (52) so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but jeez.... it seems to me that 1200 calories a day would do the trick!!

I am very nervous about starting my pre-op diet, I have to drink protien drinks for 2 meals, and one healthy meal a day, with unlimited broth, coffee, tea, anything low sugar liquids. I am required to lose at least 10 pounds before surgery, am I am scared I won't be able to do it.

I was on full liquids for two weeks and gave up tea at the same time. My doctor said this was to shrink the liver before surgery. In his experience he said this improved my chances to have a complication free surgery. That was all I needed to know, to stick to it. It worked. I'm 8 months out, 75 lbs down, and no problems.

Hi,

The pre op diet isn't an easy one. Mine was all liquids and I didn't think I would make it. In fact, I'd decided that if I felt the same way one morning, (might have been fourth or fifth) I was just going to give up.

When I got on the scale, I found I'd lost weight. That was one motivater for me. Another is coming here and talking, talking, talking. Maybe you can call your surgeon's office and ask if there isn't something you can do, add something that will help you feel full. Liquids sort of helped me, and also finding something to distract you from thinking about how hungry you are. Also, knowing that you will get your band soon, and te reason you're on this diet is to shrink your liver so your surgeon can place the band easily are other things you might hold on to.

those are some of the things I did. If I can help in any way, please feel free to pm me.

Hang in there! You can do this!

Debbie

I am very nervous about starting my pre-op diet, I have to drink protien drinks for 2 meals, and one healthy meal a day, with unlimited broth, coffee, tea, anything low sugar liquids. I am required to lose at least 10 pounds before surgery, am I am scared I won't be able to do it.

i'm feeling a lot better about it today. two full days on my diet, and i've lost 5.5 pounds. i also ended yesterday at about 1300 calories, but a lot of those were lean Proteins and fresh fruits and veggies, and i didn't feel like i was starving all day. i know i should be following 800 calories total, but surely if i've lost 5.5 pounds in two days, it's having the desired effect on my liver. i also have more energy, so i think i'll go for a walk this afternoon, which will also help.

Hi everyone,

Yes the pre- op diet!!!! IT SUCKS! Mine was a couple of Protein drinks but thank goodness I could also eat a small chicken breast and a small serving of veggies.

Do the very best you can and try to drop some weight before your surgery! Hang in there you will make it!!

I'm glad today is easier for you and I know that occasionally you will tend to have minor slip ups but please keep in mind that although you have lost 5.5 in two days even with going over in calories (please don't get me wrong that it great!) you should still try to stay under the 800. The doctor tells you how to make it work for a reason. I KNOW it's really hard right now and the liquid diet post op may seem incredibly drastic at times as well but just keep remembering its all for the greater good in the long run.

As an overweight woman myself I have made food an excuse. A lot of times I said I was hungry but in all fairness I wasn't. I was just use to eating. I've realized now that I was flat out lying to MYSELF and the only person that gets hurt is me. You will come to realize a lot of the times the "hunger" is in your head. If you feel yourself getting hungry besides at normal meal times, drink a glass of Water or crystal light. If you can drink that and then 20 minutes later still feel hungry, eat something small. Also, eat slowly and chew thoroughly. It's something you will need practice with anyway so it will get you use to it. It takes a full 20 minutes for your brain to recognize being full so if you are a fast eater by the time you actually feel full, you're actually stuffed. Good luck with everything and if you ever need to talk feel free to message me. :)

~Pam

i'm feeling a lot better about it today. two full days on my diet, and i've lost 5.5 pounds. i also ended yesterday at about 1300 calories, but a lot of those were lean Proteins and fresh fruits and veggies, and i didn't feel like i was starving all day. i know i should be following 800 calories total, but surely if i've lost 5.5 pounds in two days, it's having the desired effect on my liver. i also have more energy, so i think i'll go for a walk this afternoon, which will also help.

I am on day 5 of my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. i have not been struggling as much as i thought i would be. the worst thing for me has been ...ummm, er..tmi, but the bathroom visits. i literally can't be more than 5 feet away from one. i try to finish all of my liquids by 8pm so i can at least get a decent nights sleep (without having to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes) make sure you are getting plenty of other fluids, that seems to also help with the full factor. i know by the end of the day it has been a struggle to get that last Protein Shake down because i just don't want it. i am supposed to have about 1,000 calories a day, but i am hovering around 950, which i think is probably acceptable. as of this morning, i have lost 11 pounds.....

Can I ask what kind of Protein you guys are using? I'm just doing SlimFast and Special K Protein Shakes. I keep hearing people talking about the protein shakes making them feel full, but I never ever feel full from them, and certainly not for long. What am I doing wrong??

I am using Muscle Milk Light, Glucerna and Slim Fast. i mix and match them through the day. the muscle milk light ones come in 100 calorie packs, so i can have 8 of those a day instead of 5 of each of the others. while it ends up being the same amount of ounces, the mental thought of "hey, i can have 8 of something instead of 5 of something" really kept me going those first 3 days. the last two days, i have had a slim fast for Breakfast, 4-6 muscle milk lights throughout the day and a glucerna before i call it a night. (plus supplementing with Water, my 2 cups of veggies, broth, jell-o and popsicle).

i should also mention that i am on a strict liquid diet, so no dinners with 4oz of chicken. all i can have is what i have mentioned above. every doctor is different, so you should see how many of what kind of shake you can have. it really has helped me though. i space them out through the day and while i am at work, try to drink a shake every 2 hours. in between i have Water, water, water. by the time i get home, i am so full of liquid that my last shake of the day is difficult to get down. but, it's (to me) the one that tastes the best (the Glucerna), so i save it for kind of a treat. again, that's a mental thing. you have to see what works for you.

I definitely have a dysfunctional relationship with food. If I didn't know it before, it became pretty apparant when I was shopping for my pre-op diet foods, I became seriously depressed and had the same dreaded feeling in the pit of my stomach as I've had when I'm about to have to break up with a boyfriend. I literally felt like I was having to end a relationship... That's down-right sick in the head!!

That being said... I can assure you... I am full-on physically HUUUUUUNGRY on 800 calories/day.

However, you're right... I do have an emotional reaction to it. My first day on the diet, I felt panicked. And I'm definitely having to struggle with separating my emotional hunger from my physical hunger. I think I'll play around with different kinds of Protein shakes and see if I can't find something that works better for me.

You will come to realize a lot of the times the "hunger" is in your head.

I did great the first 3 days but blue it this weekend by having 2 meals instead of the 1 I'm supposed to have. Sunday no sweets did good there had mashed potatoes with meal, I didn't get all my liquids in. Feel real gulity! Well, I'll pick myself up today ( Monday ) and start over, I still have 9 days. I do have a wedding on Saturday the 30th so I think I'll have 1 drink and no cake. Already ordered the chicken :) Good Luck!!! Sipping on slimfast shake right now. Surgery on the 4th.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes! :)

I had to do a liquid diet for 2 weeks. I am down 12lbs. It has been tough. I am being banded in the morning. Good Luck to you!