Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What helps cure the frumpies?

I need ideas, people. Why am I so frumpy? Is my Iron low? I'm taking Viactive Multi-Vitamin daily. I'm eating okay. I'm plateau-ed on the weight loss...actually, struggling to stay below 190. I'm exhausted, unmotivated, kind of negative...no, kind of not anything. Numb? Blahhh. What's up with this? I want my bubbly self back. I haven't seen it in over a month. I thought it was because I was sick at Christmas. Then it was PMS? Nope, that's not it. I can't shake it. I'm just frumpy. Any clues? I'm up for all the ideas...I'll tell you whatever you want to know. Diet? Exercise? Lack of exercise? Depression? Is that it? If so, why would that be? It's such an odd feeling, it's kind of like when I quit smoking before I got preggo with my first and got depressed, like I had lost my best friend, or had some unresolved conflict and I couldn't remember what it was. Am I mad at someone? Stressed? I just don't know. :help: I'm missing something and I don't know what it is.

It could definitely be lack of exercise. Exercising releases endorphins. Come to think of it, so does sex. Try both. B)

Is it possible that you have that disorder where lack of sunlight gets you down? It's called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder I think). I don't know where you live, but here in MI we haven't had much sun this past month and it really starts to get to me after a while. Good luck getting rid of the frumps! :)

I get this too, Kathy. For me, it's exercise. It's so easy to NOT exercise when I'm feeling this way (which happens, like clockwork, once a month) and then it just gets worse. If I've been sick that compounds the problem. Just last week I've come out of a three-week cycle of sickness and feeling ... frumpy. I even once expressed to my husband concern that I might be depressed, but then the next day for some reason I woke up feeling much better!

And once I got back to the gym that feeling just increased. Exercise really is the answer, much as we don't want to admit it. Seriously, there's no alternative for embracing exercise in our lives now on a permanent basis (I'm saying that for my own benefit--if I say if enough I'll internalize it, I hope).

Hope you feel better soon!!! B)

Awwwww Kathy you need a big Hug! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}B)

Exercise is definately something to look at. I can really tell a big difference when I don't get mine in for a while.

I also might say try taking Flintstone complete Vitamins. I looked at the Viactiv multi, however they don't have all the minerals etc that the Flintstone's do. I do take the Viactiv Calcium ones though.

I notice that this happens to me in the wintertime too. I believe that for me it's a lack of sunlight or (SAD). It seems like if I exercise a little more, and try getting out in the direct sunlight (even if just to run some errands) this helps me out tremendously.

I sure hope that you get to feeling better soon. I know that feeling frumpy isn't fun at all.

I was gonna say...sex always cures the frumpies for me! B) But regular excersize works really well though. it is hard, but try to work out in the morning so that the rest of your day you are riding on that flood of endorphines.

Amy

Okay people. I have an appointment with hubby tonight. :rockon:

I'd just like to take some inventory of the things on my mind and let's see if some of this frumpy is stress-related? These are my responsibilities, in addition to the care of my hubby, home, and children:

My Dad: 67 years old now, has a Warthins Tumor on his Parotid gland (neck) and is having it removed in a few weeks. Has an elderly dog that he may need to have put to sleep. She pees all over. His home is a mess and it's keeping him sick all the time. Possible mold in the carpet from wet spots from the dog...she can't make it off the sofa to the door so she gets the same spot all the time. This effects his ability to get a good nights' sleep since she wakes him up all the time needing to go outside. I don't know what he's worried about, she never makes it to the door anyway and the carpet is ruined. There is dust and clutter everywhere. He can't maintain his home alone. I have been going over there weekly to help him clean. It's getting better but it's bad. sigh.

Church responsibilities: Hand Bell Choir practice weekly, Wed night 2-3 graders, Nursery, Thurs Bible Study, Sign Committee, Phone Chain, Meal Ministry team, Childrens' church. I'm not doing another thing at church. No committees (dropped Missions committee) no classes, no studies, no more volunteering. I'm full up!

Mom: getting re-married in a few weeks (they still don't have a date yet, but Feb sometime)

Sister: just had a hysterectomy and is back to work and doing well. She's making plans to sell her house and move in with Dad (she and her hubby) so the house needs to start getting ready for some cleaning and rennovating. I'm barely keeping up there!

Brother: just a few weeks ago had a heart catheterization for a 70% blockage. He's only 45.

Mother-in-Law: thank God for her, she's my sanity. But I do go see her at the nursing home 2-3 times a week and do her laundry as needed.

Daughter: cheerleading practice every Tues night and games on Saturdays for the next 8 weeks.

My job: 7 1/2 hours a week sitting with an elderly woman. I can take my son and make a little extra money and it's nice but it's a time commitment.

Hubby: just starting to build a home. A spec house to sell. He closes on the lot tomorrow and has his subs lined up (except the sheet rocker) and closing for the construction loan is next week. He doesn't have alot of remodeling work lined up so $$$ is tight for him.

Any wonder I'm frumpy, right? It's official. Sex and Exercise are at the top of my list. Thanks ya'll.

Exercise, and if that doesn't work ask Dr to check your hormone levels. If neither one of those work try buying a new pair of shoes :-)

Kathy, I don't have any real answers, but want to give you a hug! Then, I want to tell you to say "no." So much is going on for you, you have to put your family first (after taking care of yourself, of course). If handbells gives you pleasure, stick with it; if not, take a vacation from it. You can always pick things up again later. Your sis and her husband can handle dad's house issues; they are going to live there (sounds like a blessing to me!) Main idea: simplify. Cut some stuff out, and go back to taking care of you. Hugs again, Cindy

Exercise, and if that doesn't work ask Dr to check your hormone levels. If neither one of those work try buying a new pair of shoes :-)

LMBO. I just did! I ordered them from LLBean, so they are comfy and cute. Just got them in the mail Sat!

I think this time of the year is a big factor with the SAD. Not sure about the hormones? Could I be pre-menopausal? I don't think that's it. I'm only 40 and was a late bloomer. My Mom was, too, and started with full menopause symptoms around age 50. I think I have some time, and I'm a regular as rain.

I walked! for about 45 min. Felt good. If I can keep this up I think I'll get through it. It also helped to write down all my junk above. Hubby says the frumpies started at Christmas time when my brother was here and was so shocked at the condition of my Dad's home. I felt so bad for Dad, and took it on, emotionally, ya know? So that has turned into action and it's just going to take time.

Big Sexes tonight! Rock on! I'm sure there's a banana for this, but I'll spare you guys. LOL :faint:

Kathy, you are so funny!

I think weather, sleep, kids, stress - everything is to blame. Let me know what "medicine" works, so I can get some for myself. B)

Kathy, I don't have any real answers, but want to give you a hug! Then, I want to tell you to say "no." So much is going on for you, you have to put your family first (after taking care of yourself, of course). If handbells gives you pleasure, stick with it; if not, take a vacation from it. You can always pick things up again later. Your sis and her husband can handle dad's house issues; they are going to live there (sounds like a blessing to me!) Main idea: simplify. Cut some stuff out, and go back to taking care of you. Hugs again, Cindy

I just got this...yes! Especially at church. I dropped the Missions Committee, said "No" to teaching Sunday School, and was about to offer to help with Wed Nite dinners but I won't. I can help clean up once I'm there. Enough already! You are right! So be proud that I'm putting up boundaries there. Bells are a family affair. Hubby and I and my Dad and hubby's brother all ring. The rest of the things aren't every week, just once every 6 weeks or so for one thing or another. As long as I keep it on my calendar, it isn't bad. Thanks for the hugs, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I could have written your e-mail myself. I am in a frump too! Now no one throw anything at me but I haven't had a lick of exercise in 1 month. THe exact time I got out for Christmas break at school. I start back to school tomorrow and I'm hoping the walking I do at school with get the hitch outta my getalong. I have also gone buck wild crazy with my eating. I am not lying that I consumed a bag of Peanut Butter m&m's and a tub o popcorn with fake butter on Saturday. It took me 2 and half hours straight to eat all of that, during the new Queen Latifah movie, but I did it. I am really surprised at the way I ate everything in sight this weekend. When I eat like this it makes me feel even worse and then the frumps stay around longer. I hope you are feeling better and as soon as I get of work tonight I am going to be a walkin fool. I hope it works!!