Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scary and painful!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before....twice now I have had a sudden onset of crushing, choking pain that comes from my chest (where the band of my bra would be) and goes up towards my throat. I have felt like I needed to throw up really badly, but nothing comes up. Each time this happened, the pain lasted for about 4 hours and then suddenly disappeared. The next day my chest and esophagus were a little sore, but I had no problems. The two times that this has happened were on days where I ate and drank at the same time (bad, I know) and ate large (for a banded person) quantities of food over a period over several hours (we were out with friends at a bar and we kept ordering drinks and appetizers).

I have never thrown up, or PB'd so I don;t know what this was. Should I talk to my doctor? DO I have to worry that my band slipped or something?

Thanks!

Apryl

I was banded 9/05 and it happened to me after my first fill 11/05. I ate a pc of cake for Thanksgiving and my chest started to hurt, right in the center, I guess where the band is at. I swallowed and it felt like I had to throw up but I didnt and then I could feel the cake in my throat. I tried to throw up but couldnt. I drank some juice and it went down my chest hurt for about 5 min. I have since went to the dr in 12/05 and had my 2nd fill under xray and the Dr said everything looked fine. I guess I ate the cake to fast or I can no longer eat cake. I tried to eat a pc of cake in 1/06 for my birthday and the same thing happened again. I will not be eating cake again. I dont really think you have anything to worry about unless this is a consistent pain everyday. I would let my dr know. I just think you ate something to fast or something that your body can no longer tolerate.

I think this is the sensation that occurs when something is really too big or fibrous to go down, and is actually stuck in the stoma. The stomach is trying to push whatever it is through, and this translates to pain. I've definitely had this once or twice and in my experience it's a pulsing sort of thing. Nerves are all connected down there, and if this is what's happening it may present as all sorts of discomfort.

That is what you get for not chewing properly.Oh yes we all get it at some time and usually when we are not concentrating on what we are eating.I would agree with Alexandra it's not what you ate but how you ate.Too much too quick and not chewed properly.Hard lesson to learn.My biggest problems are when I have company when I eat and not just the family as I chat and eat and forget.

Slow it down next time.

I had this same thing happen to me on New years!

I went out to a fancy place for dinner with friends and family and ordered a whiskey sour. I had 4 sips and all of a sudden POW pain in my chest. I had to excuse myself and was in the restroom for 15 minutes, my husband almost sent out the possie for me.

I could not eat a thing and ruined the evening for some at the table. Anyhow I was in pain for 3 or 4 hours after. I am scared of drinking now, and I love an occational drink dam it!

I am not banded, but I have had that happen to me. It's such a horrible pain it brings tears to my eyes. But I have GERD and gastritis. It happens more often when I drink coffee.< /p>

*Sigh* At least I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Unfortunatley I am so paranoid about my band, that when anything like this happens I automatically think it is my band. In October I had a kidney stone (1st one...woo hoo) and at first I panicked because I thought I was having some sort of band-related issue. (Only after my husband convinced me to go to the ER did I find out it was a kidney stone.)

I guess that is the nature of things after we have this surgery. It is so strange to have this thing inside your body that you can't see or feel. It freaks me out sometimes when I think about it!

: )