Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone tell me the best Protein Shake to get? My nutritionist gave me a list of possible choices, but which one tastes the best. I see some you just add to Water and others to milk. Are these the same shakes you drink prior to surgery? How long do you need to drink these shakes? Thanks

I personally buy Unjury and my nutritionist gave me different receipes, i am 3mos out but i still make a shake a day it helps towards the protien.:rolleyes:

I drank Carnation Instant Breakfast, mixed with milk. I drank for 1 week and have never touched another protien shake since. I have no trouble getting my protien in.

I have tried BOOST the chocolate flavored one and it taste pretty good. I drink it chilled:)

Ayme:)

Can someone tell me the best Protein shake to get? My nutritionist gave me a list of possible choices, but which one tastes the best. I see some you just add to Water and others to milk. Are these the same shakes you drink prior to surgery? How long do you need to drink these shakes? Thanks

I use Unjury as well. Very easy to get down and the flavors aren't bad at all. It was the Protein Shake my Dr. recommended. Good Luck :) Isopure is good while your on your Clear Liquids also.

I was extremely picky when it came to Protein drinks, I hated them all! The only one I really like is Body Fortress Super Advanced whey Protein powder, the chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. They sell is at Walmart and it's $13.00 for two pounds and it tastes pretty good.

Before surgery I had to drink 4 medifast shakes a day.

My nutritionalist said I should get 60-80g Protein a day from Protein shakes/bars/cereals in addition to the food I would eat. I started drinking one a day about a month and half before surgery. I really like the taste of the AMP from GNC. The instructions say to use 3 scoops in 8oz of milk or Water. It is 20g protein per scoop. But, I decided to try different amounts of scoops to make the flavor and consistency good to me. For the vanilla 1 scoop if perfect. Any more than 1 scoop and the flavor changes a bit for me. For the chocolate, 1 scoop tastes good but I can go up to 2 scoops and still like the flavor and consistency. To add variety I use sugar free, zero calorie, Torani syrups. Raspberry for the vanilla protien and caramel for the chocolate protein. Yummy! They almost taste like a regular milkshake. They are really low in sugar too. I use 8oz. of fat free milk which adds another 9g protein. So my vanillla/raspberry shakes ends up being 29g and the chocolate/caramel is 49g. I make one in the morning and drink it as I drive to work. They have really helped me with my appetite too.

I have used MUSCLE MILK and MUSCLE MILK LIGHT for almost 5 years now.

I buy my stuff on ebay. I shop for good prices, and with the price of gas the way it is...

They can deliver it.

Also has a lot of different flavors to choose from.

My old Surgeon still recommends MUSCLE MILK LIGHT.

It is so low in sugar, that even by-pass patients can use it,

and not have to worry about the DUMPING SYNDROME.

It's made with Water. 195 cal., and 25G of Protein for 8 oz. shake.

I like Jay Robb Protein. You can get it at Whole Foods and online. It's a little thin for me so I add banana or dream whip to give it more umpf. I have come to prefer the egg Protein v. the whey. The strawberry with banana, a little OJ and blended ice is super yummy for breakfast.

I have heard muscle milk is good. I am going to try that too.

I agree with the above...Body Fortress from Walmart is cheap but great quality! It's very comparable to others and I think it tastes great! I drink it mixed with Water, soymilk (I don't drink regular milk), and frozen fruit mixed in a blender. They have free shipping to home too on the website AND have some great deals if you buy the "bundle" of 3 for $35.

I have seen a lot of ppl mentioning muscle milk, carnation and boost....all of these were highly recommended AGAINST because they are full of sugar and are not really as high in the necessary Proteins and nutrients. Look for something that isn't full of sugars. I've also read the unjury shakes are a great brand but it was a little more pricy so I didn't even try it.

I agree with the above...Body Fortress from Walmart is cheap but great quality! It's very comparable to others and I think it tastes great! I drink it mixed with Water, soymilk (I don't drink regular milk), and frozen fruit mixed in a blender. They have free shipping to home too on the website AND have some great deals if you buy the "bundle" of 3 for $35.

I have seen a lot of ppl mentioning muscle milk, carnation and boost....all of these were highly recommended AGAINST because they are full of sugar and are not really as high in the necessary Proteins and nutrients. Look for something that isn't full of sugars. I've also read the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes are a great brand but it was a little more pricy so I didn't even try it.

I disagree about the Muscle Milk Light. Like I said it is very low in sugar. For that reason it is also recomended to By-Pass patients, to avoid DUMPING.

I disagree about the Muscle Milk Light. Like I said it is very low in sugar. For that reason it is also recomended to By-Pass patients, to avoid DUMPING.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with muscle milk again...this is not very high in Protein - to back myself up I looked at the nutrtiion information. There is only 12g per 1 scoop, it is made up of a milk Protein and for weight loss, it is recommended to use whey protein (something about the way it breaks down, etc). To compare to what I was discussing earlier (Body Fortress Whey Protein) - it has 26g protein per scoop. It's a much higher quality of protein. The dumping syndrome has nothing to do with other Protein shake vs. muscle milk. That pertains more so to the amount of liquid people drink with milks, lactose, sugars, acidic foods, etc.

So again, do not recommend muscle milk (light or otherwise) - read more about this if you don't believe me.

I'd like to respectfully disagree with muscle milk again...this is not very high in Protein - to back myself up I looked at the nutrtiion information. There is only 12g per 1 scoop, it is made up of a milk Protein and for weight loss, it is recommended to use whey protein (something about the way it breaks down, etc). To compare to what I was discussing earlier (Body Fortress Whey Protein) - it has 26g protein per scoop. It's a much higher quality of protein. The dumping syndrome has nothing to do with other protein shake vs. muscle milk. That pertains more so to the amount of liquid people drink with milks, lactose, sugars, acidic foods, etc.

So again, do not recommend muscle milk (light or otherwise) - read more about this if you don't believe me.

I have no idea as to what you are reading.. But, MUSCLE MILK LIGHT has 195 CAL., 25G. of Protein. That is 2 scoops/8oz Water recipe.

This is there formula, not mine.

Henry Ford Bariatric Center puts all there Bariatric Patients on it, Regardless what kind of surgery you had. It is a must.

5 yrs. later, and I am still drinking it.

So sorry you need to get all your facts straight.

That's almost 200 calories for 25g of Protein?? I get 26g Protein with 130 calories. So once again, consuming extra calories. I saw nothing on their website that states they put their patients on muscle milk. The nutritionists, surgeons & nurses have all had their fair share of negative things to say about muscle milk. You may want to consider a different protein supplement and read about whey protein vs. other types of protein. You may be taking in protein but doesn't mean it's high quality.

Just a question...you said you've been drinking it for 5 years, how much weight have you lost during that time? Have you ever questioned whether it may be what you're using?

And btw, I have seen and am going to one of the top rated bariatric surgeons in the US...so I trust them and I trust the other sources I've found. Also now comparing Body Fortress & Muscle Milk reinforced my thoughts against it. Once again...you don't have to listen to me, do your own research and you'll find the same FACTS! It's not always quantity, but quality!

ALSO - Muscle Milk is in addition to meals and does not instruct people to use as a meal alternative.

I have no idea as to what you are reading.. But, MUSCLE MILK LIGHT has 195 CAL., 25G. of Protein. That is 2 scoops/8oz Water recipe.

This is there formula, not mine.

Henry Ford Bariatric Center puts all there Bariatric Patients on it, Regardless what kind of surgery you had. It is a must.

5 yrs. later, and I am still drinking it.

So sorry you need to get all your facts straight.