Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting to Know You

Hello April Bandsters, I thought I'd start a fun post where we can get to know each other better!

I have 3 boys (15, 12 and 7) and one husband. I grew up and lived in WA my whole life, up until 2008, when I moved to Wisconsin. It is also probably noteworthy that I have 6 parrots, lol. I have a Greenwing Macaw, a Blue and Gold macaw, 3 Amazons and one Congo African Grey. I battle adding to my flock each day, but I think 6 is plenty, lol.

I collect a few things. Not the usual collections, I suppose, lol. But it does make thrift store shopping more fun!...

tupperware keychains (love them for some reason, lol)

Cheesy souvenir plates

Parrot items (duh?)

Crab and fishing items (my dad, may he rest in peace, was boat owner and skipper, just like you see on the Deadliest Catch show )

Vintage Pyrex dishes (pastel solid colors or primary solid)

Lets see, what else can I say?

Oh, one of the reasons I need to lose weight fast is my ankle. It wasn't weight that brought my ankle issues on, but it certainly isn't helping. I have had two ankle surgeries, the biggest one was called an OATS procedure. They drilled out the worst defect in my talus and filled it in with cadaver talus material. Anyhow, the surgery helped, but it only buys me time until more action needs to be made. Ankle replacements aren't done on people my age since they are only good for 10 years and you can only have it replaced twice. I'm 34, so that won't work. My only other option, should my ankle crap out, is having it fused. I don't want that and the knee and hip issues that will eventually cause. The idea of being more crippled than I already feel, is kinda scary. And of course, I want to lose weight to feel better about myself, and to be healthier.

So, what about you? Care to share some random facts about yourself?

Well let's see.

I'm 42, married, no kids, but have two golden retrievers who are like my kids :) I live in Denver, but I was born in Southern California. I lived in Everett, Washington for 7 years before moving here to Denver in 1998. I have two sisters, both younger than I am, who are also overweight but not as much as me. My mother died in 2004 of cancer, and my dad is remarried and lives in Paso Robles, CA.

I work for a national residential property management company - we manage over 200 apartment communities from Hawaii to New York. I'm a regional manager and oversee 8 communities in the Denver area. I've been with the company for 8 years and my husband works for them too. I have to travel at least once a month, and I absolutely dread getting on the plane and fitting into those tiny seats. That will be a major milestone for me, to fit in there and not have to ask for a seatbelt extender.

The event that triggered my desire to lose weight once and for all was about two years ago. I was in Philly for work, and we went into NYC to see some of our recent apartment purchases there. We walked all over the city, and I was always lagging behind, huffing and puffing and just wishing I would die and get it over with. By the third day, the pain was so bad in my legs and feet that I called my husband in tears. I told him I didn't care what it took, I had to lose weight, I just couldn't go on like this. I started my research and decided on the lap band because it was less intrusive and could be removed if it wasn't working.

I love to read - my Kindle is never far from my side. I tend to be a homebody - my mom used to call me Susie Homemaker, because I like to cook (and eat), have a clean house, and take pride in my home. I also married a homebody, so sometimes I do get cabin fever, we don't go anywhere except for our yearly vacation. I'm hoping that losing weight will make me go out more and do things, even if it's to the farmer's market on a weekend or to the movies - when I can fit in the seat better.

The first thing I am going to buy when I lose enough weight are knee high boots. I've been wanting them for several years, but at my weight, the calves are just too big and nothing fits! It's so frustrating and that's a major goal for me.

Another goal is to be able to buy clothes in a store, actually walk in and get them, rather than buy online. It's been 2 years since I hit the size 30/32 mark and I want to scream sometimes when I buy a bunch of clothes online and have to send half back because the fit isn't right. To be able to walk into Fashion Bug or Lane Bryant and buy clothes should happen within a few months, and that will be a great milestone :)

Other than that, my goal is to lose 10 lbs a month - that's all. If I lose more, fantastic, but I'm not going to beat myself up for losing just 10 lbs a month. That's a year and a half to reach my goal weight, and doable. I'm so tired of being my own worst critic!

It feels good to focus on me and not everyone around me for a change :)

I lived in Everett, Washington for 7 years

Everett you say? That's exactly my old stomping grounds! I've lived in several cities nearby, but in Everett I lived near the mall, and in North Everett!

I think we truly ARE sisters, Spot ;) It's been over 15 years since I lived there, but I think we lived more mid-town, older neighborhood. I went to Everett Community College for 2 years though.

Well lets see......

I am 32 (will be 33 this week!) and I have 2 children (Kristen, 13 and Wesley, 6) and a husband. We also have a dog, she's a retired racing dog we adopted (greyhound) named Blastoff, she's brindle colored and beautiful.... and very spoiled now! I have always been a "New Englander". We bought a house in New Hampshire were we have lived for the past 7+ years but I have also lived in Massachusetts and Vermont while growing up.

I work for Cabot Corporation (not the cheese or paint company :) ) its a chemical company actually which makes Carbon Black amongst other materials but this is the core product which is used in tires, electrical conduets, ink pigments, etc. I have been there for just over 10 years and work within the Human Resources function but specifically I manage the health and welfare benefits for all of our US employees.

I have to travel often and like you Woodslass I dread getting on the plane and having to ask for that seatbelt extender! I would love to not have to shop at a Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug but instead be able to just pick something up at a "normal" department store like JC Penny or Macy's. I'd also love to be able to cross my legs. It seems silly but I can't remember every being able to do it (since I was old enough to want to or care about those types of things). Also, my husband is totally thin which is depressing sometimes and I always feel so huge next to him.

My major motivation is for my family in general.... I want to be around for them for a long time and if I don't get control of my weight then I'm certain I won't be. My whole family is big and many of them have really bad health problems because of it. Many of my aunt's and uncle's have had gastric bypass surgery but only 2 are relatively thin still. I didn't like the idea of cutting out and re-routing peices of me so when my doctor suggested I look into the Lap-Band I was eager to.

I love the idea that its still me doing everything but that I just have a constand "little helper" with me to remind me when to stop etc. This will be a big accomplishment for me. I reached my highest weight ever in December last year and decided that it was now or never so I went to a seminar in January and haven't looked back! Next Monday I start my pre-op diet and will be only 22 days from surgery and a new beginning and a new me :D

I'm looking forward to this journey and am very thankful that I found this site and people who are going through the same things I am and can help keep me motivated, answer questions and provide support when I need it!

Good luck to everyone!

Faith

I think we truly ARE sisters, Spot ;) It's been over 15 years since I lived there, but I think we lived more mid-town, older neighborhood. I went to Everett Community College for 2 years though.

I went to EvCC too! For almost 2 years, lol.

I have also lived in Massachusetts....

My major motivation is for my family in general.... I want to be around for them for a long time and if I don't get control of my weight then I'm certain I won't be.

I just learned that some people, who live near Massachusetts, call people from Massachusetts "Massholes". I laughed out loud when I read that. What a funny play on a state name, lol.

Yes, staying alive for your family is great reason. My father dying on me and my children has been the worst thing in the world for me, and I don't want to put my children through such heartbreak. He wasn't very overweight at all, but still died because he took such lousy care of himself.

Hello,

I am 54 turning 55 five days before my surgery, I guess you could call it a little B-day present. Once I made this decision it has happened really fast, I will be a self pay patient. I was a little nervous over that part but quit reading all the negative aspects and am concentrating on the positive. Of course it helped when my surgeon said " I will take good care of you, don't worry".

I am married with 2 grown boys (27 & 29) one 4 yr old "sweet as pie" grand daughter that I am by golly gonna keep up with. We love Rving and take our 3 small dogs with us.

I am actually looking forward to this challenge. I am the heaviest I have ever weighed and if I don't get control only seeing it get worse. I am the Director of a Cosmetology school of about 170 students. Looking good is important in my field and I am so tired of ordering online because I can't bear to look at myself in that dressing room mirror. Heck, once the weight is gone I won't even have to shop I have a whole wardrope waiting on me. I miss my nice fitting jeans more than anything. Being able to walk in shorts without them riding up the inside of my leg and pulling them down every ten seconds would be nice.

Having this forum to talk to people who are going thru the same thing you are, to me is as important as a strong support system. Nothing compares to being able to talk to or ask someone something and have them understand exactly what your talking about. Finding this forum makes the journey ahead all that more exciting. I have enjoyed reading everyones stories and look forward to visiting with everyone as we progress.

I just learned that some people, who live near Massachusetts, call people from Massachusetts "Massholes". I laughed out loud when I read that. What a funny play on a state name, lol.

Yes they do :)

They call them that because they drive bad!! Especially in the city......everytime I have to drive into the corporate office in Boston I am a wreck because the driving is so bad. People also call it "taxachusetts" because of the high state tax.... that I can agree with as well, I don't like in MA anymore but I did and because I work there I still pay the tax :(

It is funny though.... people around here call New Hampshire "Cow hampshire" because it is much more like the country..... lots of cows LOL! There are a few farms on my way home AND there is a horse farm at the end of the road I live on (its a dead end road).

Hello,

I am 54 turning 55 five days before my surgery, I guess you could call it a little B-day present. Once I made this decision it has happened really fast, I will be a self pay patient. I was a little nervous over that part but quit reading all the negative aspects and am concentrating on the positive. Of course it helped when my surgeon said " I will take good care of you, don't worry".

I am married with 2 grown boys (27 & 29) one 4 yr old "sweet as pie" grand daughter that I am by golly gonna keep up with. We love Rving and take our 3 small dogs with us.

I am actually looking forward to this challenge. I am the heaviest I have ever weighed and if I don't get control only seeing it get worse. I am the Director of a Cosmetology school of about 170 students. Looking good is important in my field and I am so tired of ordering online because I can't bear to look at myself in that dressing room mirror. Heck, once the weight is gone I won't even have to shop I have a whole wardrope waiting on me. I miss my nice fitting jeans more than anything. Being able to walk in shorts without them riding up the inside of my leg and pulling them down every ten seconds would be nice.

Having this forum to talk to people who are going thru the same thing you are, to me is as important as a strong support system. Nothing compares to being able to talk to or ask someone something and have them understand exactly what your talking about. Finding this forum makes the journey ahead all that more exciting. I have enjoyed reading everyones stories and look forward to visiting with everyone as we progress.

Terri, you and I have a ton in common as well! I was a hairdresser for over 15 years, got burnt out and quit the business. My mother was a hairstylist, owned her own salon for over 10 years, but died six years ago. I totally get what you mean about image in that business, I think that's part of what has me messed up today!

My mom always strugged with her weight, and was always dieting - once I hit 13, she put me on diets too. Her idea of what I should look like totally killed my self esteem and of course, I ate to make myself feel better. I had problems once I started doing hair, always comparing myself to the other stylists around me, wondering if I would be more successful if I was skinny...oh boy, I TOTALLY get where you are coming from!

And this is a birthday present for me too, my birthday was February 28th, the only reason I didn't have my surgery sooner was that we were putting in a new computer system on all of my properties in March and I had to be able to take care of things. Now that's over, I can get my band put in and focus on me for a change :)

Glad you're here with us, we all need the support of each other :)

Peaches, I'm with you on the whole husband thing. My husband is not only skinny but shorter than I am. I always feel like an Amazon - an unfit one - whenever I see photos of us together!

I can't remember the last time I crossed my legs either. Maybe around 18 or 19 years old? Long long time ago...that would feel great :)

Hi TerriF!

Yah, I'd love to not have my shorts ride up, too! And like others, it's been a while since I've crossed my legs. And clothes shopping... maybe I'll buy some girl shirts when I get smaller. Currently, I wear mens 2x plain t-shirts because they're wide enough to go around my gut without showing my rolls, and hangs down long enough to cover my rolls!

I informed my husband last night that when I hit my 130 goal, I'm going to get my skin fixed and my boobs perky. Of course he was on board with that ;) .

Terri, you and I have a ton in common as well! I was a hairdresser for over 15 years, got burnt out and quit the business. My mother was a hairstylist, owned her own salon for over 10 years, but died six years ago. I totally get what you mean about image in that business, I think that's part of what has me messed up today!

My mom always strugged with her weight, and was always dieting - once I hit 13, she put me on diets too. Her idea of what I should look like totally killed my self esteem and of course, I ate to make myself feel better. I had problems once I started doing hair, always comparing myself to the other stylists around me, wondering if I would be more successful if I was skinny...oh boy, I TOTALLY get where you are coming from!

And this is a birthday present for me too, my birthday was February 28th, the only reason I didn't have my surgery sooner was that we were putting in a new computer system on all of my properties in March and I had to be able to take care of things. Now that's over, I can get my band put in and focus on me for a change :)

Glad you're here with us, we all need the support of each other :)

During my second seminar my surgeon said something that really hit home. He said some of us never feel full and it causes us to eat till we fell that way but never do. I very seldom really feel full or if I do it's short lived, Dr. Hoehn said this is why the lap band was developed for those of us that have seldom had that full feeling or it doesn't last long enough. Will power has nothing to do with it...he said the band takes away the physical hunger which in turn helps us to overtime handle the mental hunger. I haven't started the pre diet yet but am already starting to try and train myself into thinking differently about food. I have been asking myself are you eating this because your really hungry or out of habit.

I am like you when it comes to having to work around our jobs to get this done....but I am bound and determined to do this for myself. Something else I am going to do is find a good walking buddy, someone that will be determined as I am and we can help push each other into walking when one of us might not feel like it. I had that 10 years ago before I moved, that is the one thing I did for myself. We talked as fast as we walked but what a great stress reliever and it kept my weight in check. So if there is anyone here from south Overland Park, Ks......I need a good walking buddy!!! lol

Hi There:

I am 34, married and have two dog "kids". I live on the east end of Long Island in New York and am an obsessive Mountain Biker and beach lover. My husband and I ride often together and I have a large group of women that I ride with. I stick out from the pack...weighing over 100 pounds more than the rest of them. I still manage to be pretty fast and keep up, but the weight is really slowing me down on the hill climbs. I trained last summer for the VT50 mile race and made it to mile 34 before I had a crash. I would love to be able to compete in a few 100 mile races and do some international races and actually be competitive.

I've lost 80 pounds 4 times and gained it all back each time and then some. Binge eating is my downfall and I'm really hoping the Lapband will be the tool to help me overcome this. The shame and sadness that the weight causes is too much for me sometimes but I keep thinking about life after the band. There is so much I want to do and see, and being this size compromises my ability to enjoy life. My husband is behind me 100%, although he has never struggled with weight and is one of those tall skinny guys who can eat anything. Oh, and I am a vegan. So this journey is going to be a bit a of a challenge for me, as all of the foods on the liquids and soft diets that my nutritionist had on the list are dairy or animal based. Guess I'll be drinking a lot of miso Soup and tea and soy yogurt!

I start liquids on Wednesday 3/30 and surgery is April 6th.

Love the support here!

I still manage to be pretty fast and keep up, but the weight is really slowing me down on the hill climbs. I trained last summer for the VT50 mile race and made it to mile 34 before I had a crash. I would love to be able to compete in a few 100 mile races and do some international races and actually be competitive.

Oh my, I'm impressed! And how awesome that you're already on board with the exercise bit, and love to do it! You're going to lose so much with this Lapband!

I know the vegan community is great at helping each other with meal ideas. Perhaps, if you're not already, connect with a bunch of like minded eaters on FB and pick their brains for meal ideas?