Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im new to the sight, but love reading all of your post. I was banded on 12/17/10 highest weight 288 surgery day 271 wt today 251. I have had 1 fill 3cc in a 9cc band. I am on the treadmill for 3 miles 3 to 4 days a week. and also some wt traing and the bike 6 miles 2 to for days a week. My dr is not generous with fills. I have a follow up appt on March 24, 2011 but I am not guaranteed a fill then. I need some help. I am so frustrated. :angry:

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you're doing as you should. If everything else is on track, take a close look at your nutrition and your exercise levels.

If you eat too little, not enough Protein, or too many carbs, your weight loss can slow down, and even stop completely. If your calories are too low, your body goes into starvation mode, and holds onto everything - resulting in little to no weight loss. You need to balance what you're eating with the amount of calories you're burning, so you can convince your body into losing the weight it doesn't need to keep. Also, muscle weighs more than fat, and with all the exercise you're doing, you may be building muscle, which can offset the fat pounds you're burning off. You may be getting more fit, but not losing numbers on the scale.

There isn't a magic answer, and everyone has a different journey. The trick will be learning what your body needs, and then providing it. In my case, I was stalled for quite awhile, with very slow weight loss - maybe one pound every two weeks. After I figured out how many calories I need to maintain my current weight, I could adjust my intake to leave a deficit every day. After enough days, I naturally lost weight. As I juggled things to suit what was happening with my overall picture, the weight began going away faster. I'm now losing at a pretty good rate. Hang in there - you're on the right track.

Good luck!

Dave

I think you are doing great! 20lbs in less than 3 months is pretty good. Congrats!

Im new to the sight, but love reading all of your post. I was banded on 12/17/10 highest weight 288 surgery day 271 wt today 251. I have had 1 fill 3cc in a 9cc band. I am on the treadmill for 3 miles 3 to 4 days a week. and also some wt traing and the bike 6 miles 2 to for days a week. My dr is not generous with fills. I have a follow up appt on March 24, 2011 but I am not guaranteed a fill then. I need some help. I am so frustrated. :angry:

slow and steady wins the race you dont want rapid weight loss

Hi Donnie,

Realize that the recommended amount of weight loss per week is 1-2 lbs if I'm not mistaken, so you are losing weight within a healthy pace. At times it may seem as though the scale is not moving, however this may not mean you are not still losing fat, perhaps you are gaining muscles which weighs more than fat and perhaps even losing inches. May I suggest, that perhaps you invest in a bioelectrical impedance device (example here) to really keep track of your weight loss in terms of FAT. This device has really worked for me whenever the scale fails me. IF the case is that you want to lose weight faster then there are a lot of factors to consider: 1). Make sure you are keeping your fat, Protein carbs intake in check - perhaps you may want to eat more Protein to speed up your weight loss. 2). IF you are already eating the right way, then change your exercise routines a bit, exercise a bit longer than your last routine. 3). Don't weigh yourself during your menstrual cycle because Water retention may cause your weight loss to plateau for the duration of your period -- you will lose the Water weight eventually. 4). I don't know how many meals you are eating... but it is advisable to eat only three meals a day and drink plenty of fluids. I share with you that I am on a high protein diet only eating three meals a day and replacing one of those meals with a doctor-approved complete meal-shake or protein-shake. 5). Please eat enough to prevent your body from dropping your metabolic rate down which is its natural reaction to starvation. To not be hungry, I divide my portions wisely throughout the day and at the end of the day I learn that I am only eating 800 - 900 cal a day, and satiated.

One repeated practice I've kept during my weight loss endeavors is to plan trips/events ahead of time to which I need to look resilient for, or at least close to fabulous -- this is great motivation for me. There is a Greet and Meet held every year in Las Vegas by the Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America (http://wlsfa.org/) on 5/13 - 5/15, however one could truly benefit from arriving days earlier and leaving days later to enjoy Vegas while there. IF interested, Antonia is the name of the founder and and this is her youtube channel. I will be meeting with Dr. Katzen, a plastic surgeon (who will be speaking on the seminar on 5/14) to discuss a low-profile-port surgery once I hit goal. My husband will be accompanying me there but we don't plan on spending too much time on the seminar "convention" since I've made future reservations to an Opera show, among other things I would like to do there. My aim in sharing this, is to share my weight loss tips and what works for me in hopes that it might work for you. Because planning events ahead of times always gives me something to look forward to and the extra oomph needed to stay focused on my weight loss goals. Last, but not the least 6). Please be patient, please don't stress yourself, you will do wonderfully.

Personally, I believe it is best to lose the weight at a slower healthier speed to not have to deal with excess skin later. I have noticed how "lapbandsters" vlog their weight-race on youtube and have seemingly lost more weight than myself within the same time frame, but you know what?!-- THIS is what motivates them. Everyone's individual genetic and medical conditions are not the same therefore comparing myself to any WLS patient or any other individual for that matter, is not an option for me. AND since body size, weight, age and activity levels are different-- the end results just won't be the same. All the best to you.

I know what u mean. My surgery date was Dec. 3, 2010. Weight day of surgery was 264. Today i am 251. I have had 3 fills. Going back tomorrow for a follow up and later in the afternoon visit with the surgeon. I cant wait to give him an ear full!!! I am also like you excersing my butt off!!! Very disappointed so far with the band!!!

It's only been 3 monhs since your surgery Winjammer! 3 fills is a lot to have in that time, however you are probably not feeling full restriction yet. Don't be dissappointed in the band - remember it is a tool and you have to get the tool working right in order for it to assist you in losing your excess weight. It took me 5 fills to start getting restriction! Chin up & keep up with the exercise! :D

I agree with some of the other comments - you need to find restriction before the band will really be working for you. I have 5 cc's in an 11cc band and NO restriction yet - so i diet and I work out, and the scale has moved, but it is slow. I really watch calories (no more than 1200 per day -- after restriction I hope to be at 8-900), I eat 60 grams of Protein a day and at least 60 ounces of Water. I have NEVER been able to lose weight before, so i am happy that I am going down - and not up. Keep working hard, drink your water and get your protein and watch your calories (i used my fitnesspal.com on my smart phone to track my cal/protein etc.). Also I get extra motivation from youtube (I like bandedwendy and newtoy4kt) and knowing other people have done it, getting their tips and knowing that everyone struggles and has ups and downs. You can do it. Keep up the good work, it WILL pay off...

Hi Donnie,

Realize that the recommended amount of weight loss per week is 1-2 lbs if I'm not mistaken, so you are losing weight within a healthy pace. At times it may seem as though the scale is not moving, however this may not mean you are not still losing fat, perhaps you are gaining muscles which weighs more than fat and perhaps even losing inches. May I suggest, that perhaps you invest in a bioelectrical impedance device (example here) to really keep track of your weight loss in terms of FAT. This device has really worked for me whenever the scale fails me. IF the case is that you want to lose weight faster then there are a lot of factors to consider: 1). Make sure you are keeping your fat, Protein carbs intake in check - perhaps you may want to eat more Protein to speed up your weight loss. 2). IF you are already eating the right way, then change your exercise routines a bit, exercise a bit longer than your last routine. 3). Don't weigh yourself during your menstrual cycle because Water retention may cause your weight loss to plateau for the duration of your period -- you will lose the Water weight eventually. 4). I don't know how many meals you are eating... but it is advisable to eat only three meals a day and drink plenty of fluids. I share with you that I am on a high protein diet only eating three meals a day and replacing one of those meals with a doctor-approved complete meal-shake or protein-shake. 5). Please eat enough to prevent your body from dropping your metabolic rate down which is its natural reaction to starvation. To not be hungry, I divide my portions wisely throughout the day and at the end of the day I learn that I am only eating 800 - 900 cal a day, and satiated.

One repeated practice I've kept during my weight loss endeavors is to plan trips/events ahead of time to which I need to look resilient for, or at least close to fabulous -- this is great motivation for me. There is a Greet and Meet held every year in Las Vegas by the Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America (http://wlsfa.org/) on 5/13 - 5/15, however one could truly benefit from arriving days earlier and leaving days later to enjoy Vegas while there. IF interested, Antonia is the name of the founder and and this is her youtube channel. I will be meeting with Dr. Katzen, a plastic surgeon (who will be speaking on the seminar on 5/14) to discuss a low-profile-port surgery once I hit goal. My husband will be accompanying me there but we don't plan on spending too much time on the seminar "convention" since I've made future reservations to an Opera show, among other things I would like to do there. My aim in sharing this, is to share my weight loss tips and what works for me in hopes that it might work for you. Because planning events ahead of times always gives me something to look forward to and the extra oomph needed to stay focused on my weight loss goals. Last, but not the least 6). Please be patient, please don't stress yourself, you will do wonderfully.

Personally, I believe it is best to lose the weight at a slower healthier speed to not have to deal with excess skin later. I have noticed how "lapbandsters" vlog their weight-race on youtube and have seemingly lost more weight than myself within the same time frame, but you know what?!-- THIS is what motivates them. Everyone's individual genetic and medical conditions are not the same therefore comparing myself to any WLS patient or any other individual for that matter, is not an option for me. AND since body size, weight, age and activity levels are different-- the end results just won't be the same. All the best to you.

Great advice and beautifully written as well.:)

m new to this, so I really don't know if I am eating the right things or the right amount. My surgury date was March 14, 2011. So far I have lost about 30 lbs. I am up to walking 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. I am so scared that I will be eating too much, and I am soooo scared that I will cheat on eating the foods that I used to...such as sweets and Pasta. The will power is very hard for me. It is a struggle every day for me. Does it get better, or will this be a "forever" thing for me ? This is truly a challenge for me daily ! Maybe I just can't imagine myself "not being fat".

m new to this, so I really don't know if I am eating the right things or the right amount. My surgury date was March 14, 2011. So far I have lost about 30 lbs. I am up to walking 2 miles a day, 5 days a week. I am so scared that I will be eating too much, and I am soooo scared that I will cheat on eating the foods that I used to...such as sweets and Pasta. The will power is very hard for me. It is a struggle every day for me. Does it get better, or will this be a "forever" thing for me ? This is truly a challenge for me daily ! Maybe I just can't imagine myself "not being fat".

You've heard that everyone has their own weightloss journey, and the course yours will take will be unique to you. You've only been banded a month or so, and your body is still adjusting to things. Your metabolism is still adjusting to the new foods you're giving it, and how you're eating these days. Over time, as you continue to do what you have been these past few weeks, your system will adjust to the new "normal" you're creating, and you'll be able to respond accordingly. Some of the things you used to eat won't be as appealing in the future, and you won't find yourself craving them as much.

In my case, my desire to eat sugar has basically gone away. I used to eat tons of sweet things, but now I don't just desire it. On the few occasions when I've been at a birthday party or whatever, and someone has offered me a piece of cake, I've eaten a few bites, but then set it aside. If I ate too much of it, I actually felt nauseated. But I didn't shy away from the situation - I tasted the sweet dessert, and that was enough for me.

As for Pasta, if I want to eat pasta, I eat it. I don't eat a mountain of it, but I do have a regular-sized portion. And I may or may not finish it. I allow for it in my eating plan, and know on those days that I eat a high-starch diet, i won't expect to lose any weight. But over the next few days I can work off the excess, and things get back to (my) normal.

Being banded does require you to create a new life for yourself, and a new relationship to food. Things you wanted pre-banding may not appeal to you anymore. My relationship with food now is much healthier than it used to be. I'm forced to slow down, so I taste things more. I eat less, so I make better choices about what it is I want to put in my mouth. The meals I have these days are tasty things I actually enjoy eating. And THAT is new for me. The days of shoveling it in without even a thought to how it tastes are behind me. And I can live with that. I actually enjoy eating now.

Good luck going forward, and with your weight loss journey.

Dave

You are in 'bandster hell'. 3cc in a 10cc band is like not having a band. You are doing all the right things but ill need a few more fills for the band to give you the feeling of lasting satiety and fullness on a small meal...hang in there!

hi every one....slow and steady is a good line....but we do get frustrated....

somehow I thought it would be magic...me slim and trim soon after the operation....but we have to make the band work for us....:I have lost only 15.4 lbs in almost 2 months...no weight loss last 10 days..

But all these posts are sure helpful to track where I am going wrong...thanks everyone..

561c6b8f3e59033.gif[/media]

I just read this on this site, wondering how you are doing, I am getting frustrated because I am not losing the weight as fast as I did in the beginning. I was averaging a pound a day and I am almost afraid to eat, use mostly shakes which are satisfying to me.

Great advice and beautifully written as well.:)