Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOLY CRAP these pains hurt! 4 Days out and need help!

First time back here since surgery! I had it on Friday, stayed over night as was customary and when they started me on liquids on Saturday I was just still so nauseated (spelling?) from the anesthesia that I couldn't do it, so they had to keep me until Sunday. Other than that everything went smooth, liquids are now going down, and all is well in band land.

BUT Just as I was about to be discharged I was getting up from the toilet and felt sharp, burning, stabbing pains around/below the port incision. Holy cow does it hurt. It usually only lasts about a minute, and if it's happening when I'm getting up, I can just sort of "walk it off"

I've never had surgery before but my Dad who has, said that when he had shoulder surgery he would too have those pains and it is because of the muscle tissue.

I told the nurse at the hospital and she thought since I was fine otherwise that it was probably something that was always there but I am just now feeling it as they were weening me off their pain meds. I've continued my liquid vicodin Rx and that's about gone which scares the crap out of me because I have these sharp pains each time I get in and out of bed or on or off the toilet...

Please tell me this is normal and will go away!? =) I called my Dr office yesterday just to run it by and they also said it's usually the most tender spot but she'll note it to my doc. I have a post op on Thursday so I'm not too concerned in the meantime but just wondering about others' experiences...I also can't put my own pants on-anyone else have that issue? lol...Anyway, the bright side is that I lost 32 lbs pre-op!! Won't weight myself agani for a bit because I hear you actually gain weight temporarily from all the fluids. IN PAIN-HELP!!

Normal. Your port was sewn to your abdominal muscle. It's gonna hurt for awhile, usually a few weeks. Try using a heating pad.

Okay good, thanks for setting my mind at ease, not looking forward to this for a few weeks but it could be worse so I will try not to complain. I thought of the heat pack too but I freak out when anything comes close to my tummy, I fold down all my big blankets in bed only up to the waist and then just lay the sheet over my top half...maybe after my dressings have come off and I can see how it has healed it will be easier to do that. Thanks!

Normal. Your port was sewn to your abdominal muscle. It's gonna hurt for awhile, usually a few weeks. Try using a heating pad.

This is completely normal. It will go away, though I had port pain longer than any other kind (not constant though-- like you said, when I moved a certain way or when I tried to lay on my stomach).

If you put the heating pad on your back you should still get some help in the stomach area-- at least I always did/do.

One thing about heating pads-- recently I've found that I can't put one on my stomach over my port because I've lost enough weight that it heats my port up (the metal parts) and youch! Putting it at my back still works great though.

Cool, thanks! And I am not doing any strenuous activity yet by any means, so there's not really a way for me to tear anything just by doing simple moves right? I guess if I knew the pain wasn't anything bad happening I could totally relax bout it and it probably wouldn't hurt AS bad. Anyway, thanks for the heating pad on the back tip. Better than not using it at all!

quote name='stateofzen' timestamp='1299592338' post='1583232']

This is completely normal. It will go away, though I had port pain longer than any other kind (not constant though-- like you said, when I moved a certain way or when I tried to lay on my stomach).

If you put the heating pad on your back you should still get some help in the stomach area-- at least I always did/do.

One thing about heating pads-- recently I've found that I can't put one on my stomach over my port because I've lost enough weight that it heats my port up (the metal parts) and youch! Putting it at my back still works great though.

It is normal, I am still dealing with similiar pains. Funny enough I find myself holding my stomach port site only when I bend or use the bathroom. You will be fine. Hang in there! The heating bad in a miracle worker also. just pad it with a thick bath towel.

First time back here since surgery! I had it on Friday, stayed over night as was customary and when they started me on liquids on Saturday I was just still so nauseated (spelling?) from the anesthesia that I couldn't do it, so they had to keep me until Sunday. Other than that everything went smooth, liquids are now going down, and all is well in band land.

BUT Just as I was about to be discharged I was getting up from the toilet and felt sharp, burning, stabbing pains around/below the port incision. Holy cow does it hurt. It usually only lasts about a minute, and if it's happening when I'm getting up, I can just sort of "walk it off"

I've never had surgery before but my Dad who has, said that when he had shoulder surgery he would too have those pains and it is because of the muscle tissue.

I told the nurse at the hospital and she thought since I was fine otherwise that it was probably something that was always there but I am just now feeling it as they were weening me off their pain meds. I've continued my liquid vicodin Rx and that's about gone which scares the crap out of me because I have these sharp pains each time I get in and out of bed or on or off the toilet...

Please tell me this is normal and will go away!? =) I called my Dr office yesterday just to run it by and they also said it's usually the most tender spot but she'll note it to my doc. I have a post op on Thursday so I'm not too concerned in the meantime but just wondering about others' experiences...I also can't put my own pants on-anyone else have that issue? lol...Anyway, the bright side is that I lost 32 lbs pre-op!! Won't weight myself agani for a bit because I hear you actually gain weight temporarily from all the fluids. IN PAIN-HELP!!

Thank you, thank you!!!

It is normal, I am still dealing with similiar pains. Funny enough I find myself holding my stomach port site only when I bend or use the bathroom. You will be fine. Hang in there! The heating bad in a miracle worker also. just pad it with a thick bath towel.

Cool, thanks! And I am not doing any strenuous activity yet by any means, so there's not really a way for me to tear anything just by doing simple moves right? I guess if I knew the pain wasn't anything bad happening I could totally relax bout it and it probably wouldn't hurt AS bad. Anyway, thanks for the heating pad on the back tip. Better than not using it at all!

I was told that picking up anything more than 10 lbs was a problem, but that regular activity would not do harm. I think you can relax!

Okay sounds good!! Thanks!

I was told that picking up anything more than 10 lbs was a problem, but that regular activity would not do harm. I think you can relax!

yes i have the same pains. I was banded yesterday and it hurts sooo much to get up and sit down I think its because in order for your body to move, you mainly use your core muscles. The only thing I can tell u, is if you have a recliner try sleeping in it. I went and bought one last week cause my lapband friends told me that sleeping in bed can cause unbareble stabbing pain. good luck on your new life!

So - I am scheduled for banding on 3/11/11. I am reading all the information I can get my hands on and think your reply is very interesting. Since you can feel the port heat up because of your weight loss, does the same go for if you were to have a day in the sauna/day at the hot springs??

Thanks!

Oh my goodness i was banded yesterday and i am in sooooooo much pain. They gave me Percocets but that is too strong for me. I did cut one percocet in four and took a quarter and could not wake up. I started regular Tylenol and i am walking, The operative site is covered with strips and very tender and painful. Anyway i am doing the best i can and you do the same it will get better.

I've had surgery numerous times on numerous parts of my body. The stinging and pain is normal.

What you can do about it is learn to use different muscles. After knee surgery I had to learn to use my hip.... You will be sore from it, but you'll be finding new muscles you never knew you had. I had surgery 2 days ago and am pretty sore right now, but when I get up or down I am no longer having the stinging because I've learned to use muscles that weren't operated on.

It also helps to pre-plan your movements. I know to target and tighten certain stomach muscles before moving, which holds the sore and operated on one's firmly so there is no straining or pulling.