Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kickboxing

I went kickboxing for the first time Monday. I very much enjoyed it and made it through the class (was soaked after though..lol). I went again tonight and was going to sign up for a membership, the only problem the only reasonable option was $64 a month with a 1 year commitment. Kind of worried about the commitment part. I have wanted to do martial arts for a while, but was going to try tae kwon do or something but was waiting til my weight dropped some more. I could just do the kickboxing for now, I've only taken 2 classes so far bit it seems to have kicked my weight loss up a notch already.

What do you guys think, should I do it? I also already go to the gum and do cardio and the weight machines

If it is fun and you will go do it. If it costs too much you should look out and the community and find one a bit cheaper. I pay 55 a month for cardio kickboxing. A good gym is going to cost that as well.

I went kickboxing for the first time Monday. I very much enjoyed it and made it through the class (was soaked after though..lol). I went again tonight and was going to sign up for a membership, the only problem the only reasonable option was $64 a month with a 1 year commitment. Kind of worried about the commitment part. I have wanted to do martial arts for a while, but was going to try tae kwon do or something but was waiting til my weight dropped some more. I could just do the kickboxing for now, I've only taken 2 classes so far bit it seems to have kicked my weight loss up a notch already.

What do you guys think, should I do it? I also already go to the gum and do cardio and the weight machines

What is your commitment on the gym? Is it possible to find a gym that offers the free classes? I just joined a gym recently and I went a little farther out of the way in order to have the classes. They offer zumba, kickboxing, kicking abs, yoga, etc and included in the membership. I got a discount through our health insurance and its only 25 a month plus I pay 10 a month for daycare and classes for the little ones. I haven't tried the kickboxing there yet but once I drop a little more weight I really want to try it.

For my gym I go to Lucille Roberts and they don't have much for kickboxing. I have like 5 months left on my contract there, may find a differet after that.

I do recall that they said you can get some sort of rebate in my health insurance if you go to the gym a certain amount of times per year, maybe I will look into that and use that towards kickboxing.

I am going to check around with the other people at my job and see if they go anywhere cheaper, otherwise I think I am just going to sign for the commitment (after seeing if I can talk them into just going monthly..LOL), because I really like it and I think it will do wonders for my weight loss.

I look at gym expenses in a different way. I've just joined again, having not had a gym membership for five years (I run outside primarily for exercise and have been doing ciruit style workouts at home). I'm not working now becuase of the chemotherapy I'm having so I can either a) spend the mornings in the gym or B) hang round the shops having coffees and eating bad things and spending money on crap I dont need. The gym for $70 a month is a bargain!

its not only exercise, if you enjoy it, its a hobby! You'd spend $55 on a night out without a thought probably, so why not invest in something that is both fun and healthy?

Just letting you guys know I did end up signing up. I've been there 3 times this week. Had a great workout there this am. I do thing between the kickboxing and gym I kind of overdid it the week and the scale is not going to show a loss. Hopefully it will move next week. Kind of upsetting to me, but it will even out eventually. After all I went to kickboxing 3 days and the gym 4 (5 if I do this evening) days this week (I weigh on tuesday) which is more than I had been exercising.

Just letting you guys know I did end up signing up. I've been there 3 times this week. Had a great workout there this am. I do thing between the kickboxing and gym I kind of overdid it the week and the scale is not going to show a loss. Hopefully it will move next week. Kind of upsetting to me, but it will even out eventually. After all I went to kickboxing 3 days and the gym 4 (5 if I do this evening) days this week (I weigh on tuesday) which is more than I had been exercising.

Congratulations, I am glad you found something you love. Take measurements because you might not always see it on the scale and its nice to see the inches your losing too.

I do need to do the measurements, though I never feel like I am going in the right spots. After my first week of kickboxing and the gym. I guess since I increased my activity and started the kickboxing unfortunately the scale did not move. I know it is because I increased the activity and not that I ate to much though. Hopefully my body will get out of the shock of it hen I weigh next week and I will see it move. Though my friend who got me into it and I go with sometimes, said I look a little smaller (she does not know I have a lap band, just that I've been dieting and exercising). So maybe I have lost inches. They do ab workouts at the end and I've come to realize my abs suck! LOL I know it will take time, but I can't hold the position for that long, or do good pushups or anything. I am trying though, so I should get better. I had a great kickboxing class this morning and I plan to go to they gym later for cardio and such.

Just curious, I'm two months post op and would like to join kickboxing. How far out are you guys? Just wondering if it would be safe yet for me to join a club.

When I started I was a bit over 2 months post op. I started the end of February and had surgery 12/20. I definitely could have started sooner though. (I had a pretty easy recovery). I totally love it now and am doing at least 4 classes a week. Slaked a little bit towards the end of last week due to a cold, but even though I'm still quite congested I'm back to it, and it actually seems to clear my nose up a bit lol. I definitely recommend it!

It is great that you have joined the kickboxing class, but please don't give up on martial arts training. I have been in training for 8 months now, and its one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Be sure and pick a discipline that offers a deep curriculum and focuses on more than just sparing, kicking, and punching. My classes are as much about tradition, discipline, and respect as they are about the physical aspects. Also a one hour class kicks my butt workout wise.

The confidence martial arts training has provided me, and the self esteem boost are well worth the price of admission.

Oh I haven't given up my wanting to do it. I have just put it off for a little bit. I have a year commitment on kickboxing and my plan was to lose a bit of weight first and then do martial arts. I will join eventually. Infact I think kickboxing has actually started to give me a little Mir confidence already.