Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What gives with first fills?

Does anyone experience restriction with their first fill? All I read are posts stating that the first fill does nothing. Am I drawing the wrong conclusion, or what? I have to travel quite far for my fills so I am hoping like crazy that I will feel something with my first fill, because I am in serious need of some restriction right now.

My fill took about 1 week to notice a diference..

It is said that U.S docs are more conservative with their fills and have a standard protocol they follow where as the MX docs want you to have restirction right away and are more agressive with their fills. I had a MX doc. My first fill was 1.1cc's and it gave me restirction after about a week and it lasted for several months until I needed another fill.

My first fill was 1.5cc and it didn't do much for me at all! But, you don't want to get too much on the first fill and be so tight you can't eat or drink. I still think a slower approach to the fills is better for you.

I have an US doctor and my first fill was 1.5cc and no restriction. My second fill wa 2.0cc and I have have restriction now.

It took about a week for my first fill to kick in and hoo boy did it ever kick in!! Every person is different. Some needs lots of cc's and others need hardly any at all. No worries! You'll find your sweet spot!!

My first fill was 1CC (I have a 4CC band), and it was two weeks before I felt restriction. But I am pretty restricted most of the time now.

I have a 4 cc band. My first fill was 2.0 ccs, and I felt nothing.

I went back 6 weeks later, and .7 ccs had "disappeared" - this is not unusual.

They put me back at 2.00 cc's.

Still nothing

Next fill up to 2.4 - nothing

Next fill up to 2.7 - and I finally started to feel something.

I'm at 2.9 now, and could honestly use a bit more.

My first fill was to 3cc. I had a good restriction for a little while but not long. My 6th fill put me at 6cc. That was my sweet spot for a long time but I am on my way to get my 7th fill next week on the 24th.

Fill er' up Dr. B!!

It all depends on your doctor or fill technician. Some will fill you up til nothing you drink can trickle thru ... then begin backing off, bit by bit, til Water is passing readily.

DO BE AWARE that many people achieve maximum restriction 4 days out from the fill, so it is necessary to be COMPLETELY TRUTHFUL & FORTHCOMING when describing to the fill person what physical sensations you are having.

Many (not all) surgeons in the States are VERY SLOW and NEVER want to do the "directly to good restriction" stuff. Why? Who knows --- but there ARE those sadistic doctors who want the patient to be hungry and suffer and struggle to diet. Some of them truly think that the band alone should do the job, and consider the patient a wuss if they complain or continue asking for an adequate fill.

Some think it is because the doctor makes good money on fill days, so prefer to make sure you have to come back 6 times or so.

MX docs tend to give good fills (at least the ones I'm aware of), and I would SUSPECT that State-side docs who provide a year of free fills might be more aggressive with fills.

The thing is --- It matters NOT if your doc is handsome, charming, if he sits on your bed and holds your hand ---- what MATTERS is aftercare. If he (or his staff) can't be responsive to your needs and concerns, if he makes you wait more than 2 weeks without losing weight (when you KNOW you are working the program), or thinks that going around hungry all the time is a virtue, then he is not the doctor you want doing your surgery.

Unfortunately, most people hire a surgeon on glowing reports on the surgical experience ---- it is preferable to get in touch with his previously banded patients so you can get a fuller idea of his bariatric practice....

I have had my first fill a week ago and felt nothing, I am going in tomorrow for the 2nd, I had 1.2CC the first. I am a little freaked out because I can eat ANYTHING !!! I mean ANYTHING !!!! Is that normal?? Am I going to be like the beginning where I cant eat anything more than a 1.2Cup of food? I want that back, I am gaining all the weight back from the suregery. HELP!!!!

I think it happens that way for some.

For me, it didn't. My stomach seems to be very sensitive. I didn't need a fill until just over 4 months after my surgery. The doctor put in 1.4 cc and it became increasingly tighter over time until I could barely keep Water in my stomach. So, she removed some... now I am at 1 cc and it's perfect. I can eat most anything if I am careful, but still get full quickly and the food stays in my stomach for a good while - keeping me satisfied.

My first fill was 1.7 cc and I do feel restriction. Sometimes when I eat too much I feel like I am going to choke and I can't swallow anymore. I usually eat 10-12 oz of food 3 times a day.

Wow, thats what I want some more restriction. I guess I have to be patient but I think I will call to get another fill. Oh is there a way I can go directly to these threads, I keep loosing where I am talking LOL When I get an email that someone responded I can read it but is there a way to know where to go and read back. My memory is bad LOL Thanks

My first fill has made a tiny difference - I can still eat probably a lot for a bandster (but I'm losing so I dont care about that) but it has slowed me down - if I eat too fast I know about it. But I can still eat anything.

As long as I'm getting off that half to one kilogram a week, I'm happy - I dont want to be any more restricted than I have to be. At the moment, I'm living a very similar lifestyle to what I did before my band, just with better food choices. The band seems to work for me more in the way of making me just very unhungry (I feel like I did when I took appetite suppressants) but not by making me full really fast or restricting what I can eat. I dont eat as much as a sitting because I eat very slowly and lose interest.