Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any April bandsters out their???

:rolleyes:My surgery is scheduled for April 6th! I am so excited too!!! I started my pre-op diet today which consist of two Protein shakes a day (am & pm) a bowl of Soup for lunch (any kind) sugar free Jello, pudding, lowfat cottage cheese and sugarfree popcicles.

i have a QUESTION... ive started my pre-op diet on 3.18.11 and they told me i can ONLY have three Protein Shakes and SF Jello.. but i read urs and u can have soup... and pudding and cottage cheese... hummm i wonder why my doc says to be just on those drinks..

Any one haveing their lap band done in April??? lets be bandster buddys through our jurney :D im so excieted :rolleyes:

Hi, I am having my lap band done in April too! My pre-op visit is the 4th of April and my surgery is scheduled for April 8th. I am very excited to begin this process and I am thankful that this option is available to me. I did not have to go through months of waiting because my insurance did not cover any part of this procedure but I did have to have a psychological evaluation and some medical clearance will be done on the 4th of April. I am curious if any soon to be Bandsters have discussed their upcoming surgery with everyone in their lives and if there are some who have wanted to keep it to those that are very close to them. I love that I have a place to come and talk about my experiences. Good luck to everyone I will keep you all posted on my journey. :rolleyes:

I'm scheduled for the 4th. Already on the liquid diet. I am frightened, scared and a second guessing right now.

Any one haveing their lap band done in April??? lets be bandster buddys through our jurney :D im so excieted :rolleyes:

I'm scheduled for the 4th. Already on the liquid diet. I am frightened, scared and a second guessing right now.

Merriemish, I went through that same thing about two weeks ago. I nearly called off my April 5th surgery, I kept thinking all sorts of negative things.

You know what? If you weren't scared and second guessing, then you wouldn't have thought the process through completely. It's natural when you are making a very big decision. But the fact that you have looked at all the angles says that you know what you are getting into, unlike some people who think this may be a miracle fix!

All of us have had these thoughts. At this point, I'm committed to it, and my negative thoughts are gone. It's time to do something, and at least we are doing it! Keep telling yourself that this is something just for you, not anyone else in your life. Imagine how much better you are going to feel afterwards, you can do it!

Carlene

Hi, I am having my lap band done in April too! My pre-op visit is the 4th of April and my surgery is scheduled for April 8th. I am very excited to begin this process and I am thankful that this option is available to me. I did not have to go through months of waiting because my insurance did not cover any part of this procedure but I did have to have a psychological evaluation and some medical clearance will be done on the 4th of April. I am curious if any soon to be Bandsters have discussed their upcoming surgery with everyone in their lives and if there are some who have wanted to keep it to those that are very close to them. I love that I have a place to come and talk about my experiences. Good luck to everyone I will keep you all posted on my journey. :rolleyes:

I made the decision early on to share my upcoming lapband surgery with everyone I know, including people at work, employees, bosses, friends and family. I want them to know that I am doing something for ME, not for anyone else, and if they don't like it they can kiss my patootie. A part of me also wants to be held accountable for this. I'm self-pay, spending 10k+ of my own money, and I don't want to throw that away. I want people to notice when I look thinner, and I need to know inside that everyone knows about this, so I better stick to the plan!

Everyone except one of my sisters (I think she's jealous) has been very happy for me, curious about the procedure, and what I will go through. I have lots of support from my co-workers and employees and my husband is being wonderful. I finally told my jealous sister last weekend that if she couldn't support me that she should stop calling me. She was shocked, claiming she was being supportive, but actually she was doing everything she could to scare me into not doing the surgery. I haven't heard from her in a week (shrug).

This is only one of several major life changes for me - I stopped smoking after 35 years in December and haven't touched a cigarette since. In February I gave up all caffeine and soda (I was a 6-pack a day Pepsi drinker). Now it's time to tackle that last addiction, food.

Carlene

I made the decision early on to share my upcoming lapband surgery with everyone I know, including people at work, employees, bosses, friends and family. I want them to know that I am doing something for ME, not for anyone else, and if they don't like it they can kiss my patootie. A part of me also wants to be held accountable for this. I'm self-pay, spending 10k+ of my own money, and I don't want to throw that away. I want people to notice when I look thinner, and I need to know inside that everyone knows about this, so I better stick to the plan!

Everyone except one of my sisters (I think she's jealous) has been very happy for me, curious about the procedure, and what I will go through. I have lots of support from my co-workers and employees and my husband is being wonderful. I finally told my jealous sister last weekend that if she couldn't support me that she should stop calling me. She was shocked, claiming she was being supportive, but actually she was doing everything she could to scare me into not doing the surgery. I haven't heard from her in a week (shrug).

This is only one of several major life changes for me - I stopped smoking after 35 years in December and haven't touched a cigarette since. In February I gave up all caffeine and soda (I was a 6-pack a day Pepsi drinker). Now it's time to tackle that last addiction, food.

Carlene

Thanks for responding. Wow we have a lot in common. I gave up all soda drinks last July 2010 and am 28 days clean from cigarettes. I am feeling so much better since I stopped smoking I cannot wait to see how much better physically I will feel when I lose some weight. Thank you for sharing your story about how you've deciding to include everyone in your life your weight loss journey. I would love to stay in touch so we can share our experiences. Good luck to you.

Hello! I am having my surgery on April 18th! I am soooooooooooo excited too. I agree we should be bandster-buddies. I am going to need a friend to make it through that liquid diet pre-surgery :huh: My name is Tia. I live in Richmond, VA. I am 32 and couldn't be more excited about the future~

We should all definitely stay in touch, we're in this together :)

Welcome Tia! Glad you have you with us other April bandsters!

I am scheduled for Friday, April 15th! I work in the recovery unit at the hospital of where I am getting the surgery done. Majority of my coworkerd know what that I am getting Lap Band. It is sometimes funny because I get lap band patients all the time and I love to tell them that in a few weeks, I will be in their shoes and how excited I am for them and their new journey! I have only had one lap band revision (port flip) patient. He had gone in for his first fill (after already losing 40 pounds) and the Dr. could not fill him. The patient is still in good spirits! I wanted to share what I have seen with you all to give you a rough idea of what to expect right after surgery before you go home. Alot of patients have gas pain and it may hurt around the epigastric region of your chest (middle right below the rib cage). Ask for nuasea medication (they will give it to you in your iv) since all that you are allowed to have is Water in recovery, which, when mixed with anesthesia and pain meds (morphine, lortab elixr, dilaudid) may make you sick. You will have to walk before you go and pee ( if the dr. has ordered it) and getting up and walking is a good thing! It will help you to burp and relieve so of that gas pain. I know you will feel like you want to lay there, but moving usually helps. the quicker you get up to walk, the faster you can get home into your own bed....

Oh big thing before I forget, you may want to ask for an NSAID drug (which they can give you back in the OR) called Toradol. It will definatley help with the incisional pain that you may have........I am absolutely asking for it. I am also getting premedicated for nausea (you may want to say that you have a history of post op nausea and vomiting).

As far as everything else, I have been working out alot and trying to be as active as possible so that when I am healing (4 weeks no arc trainer :( ) my metabolism will continue to run high. I don't have to do a pre op diet, but I have had time to do a complete 180 on my eating habits. I am only doing the clears the day before because the Dr. said he just doesn't want to see a cheeseburger in there. HAHAHA!!!

I weigh 225 now and the largest I have been is 228........ I was always active and in shape (had to make weight while in military for 10 years) then i went to nursing school, got married, and gained 50 pounds in 2 years...... so I am ready to lose it! Super Excited!

weight.png

ok. Is anyone else SO EXCITED!!!! I am trying to contain my excitement but I just can't anymore. Just 20 days until my new life begins!! Tomorrow is my last class before surgery to make sure that I'm prepared. Loving GBMC right now!!

Let's keep each other going!

thatgurl

Oh my gosh! Me too, I don't know what to do with myself right now, it is so hard to wait! I hope everything goes okay with your surgery, good luck!

I think it is so neat you are having surgery on your birthday! Congratulations.

Thank you, one of the best gifts ever!

Oh my gosh! Me too, I don't know what to do with myself right now, it is so hard to wait! I hope everything goes okay with your surgery, good luck!

I am excited too! I don't even mind the Protein shakes and liquid diet. My surgery is April 5th and I can not wait. My goal is to be fit and healthy by 40! (1 1/2 yrs. to go!) I do not care if I end up a size 8 or 16 as long as I feel good. I think that is what has made this such an easy decision for me (I backed out 2 yrs. ago) this time. I am mentally ready...I can not wait to start my life again. I want to be the strong mom that my girls will admire.