Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Star Jones

Ok everyone, I just caught the last min of the 20/20 interview w/Star Jones. All I caught was that she said her husband wasn't gay & that the ?? offened them both. What I wanted to know was: Did they mention anything about her weight loss & anything about surgery? Did anyone hear anything?

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I saw her on Dr. Phil and she has lost a lot of weight but all she said was it was lots of hard work. I think she had to of had surgery because she lost it fast. But I could be totally wrong. Maybe someone else will know for sure.

I saw the whole interview, and she did not come right out and say she had WLS. She said if she was off camera, she would not have a problem talking about how she lost the weight. And from the interview, Star really had other medical problems that prompted her to lose weight. But she would not say on camera. She said she practices "portion control" and eats half of whatever is on her plate. She must have had WLS, she lost her excess weight way to fast. She looks wonderful! She said she used to eat a double cheeseburger, and when she wants to cheat the will get one once in a while! But just a regular cheeseburger. I wish she would have just stated, "Yes, I had the Lap Band installed." Or, "Yes, I had RNY." She probably doesn't want to get sued if someone hears her say she had WL surgery. The patient could blame any complications (and possibly even if the patient died) on Star talking about her WLS and how successful it was for her. I don't blame her there, people are lawsuit crazy.

If she says it was lots of work to lose the weight, AND she had some kind of WLS, I think she's right. We should know that WLS does not mean losing weight is easy. We KNOW THIS, right? IMHO, people pay way too much attention to these celebrities in the first place. Since we live in a society that will sue for anything, she is probably protecting herself from that possibility. I don't blame her. Does anyone think it's ironic that we don't like people judging us for choosing WLS, but we are doing the same thing to her? I see the difference in being "open" and hidden, but we should respect the choice of each individual in this. I used to use the "fat is beautiful" mind-set, too. We shouldn't indict her on that. Hope I'm not coming off edgy or gripey on this, but we should examine our feelings about this, and see if they coincide with our response to her. Cindy

I saw the show too, I think she was soooo close to admitting the surgery, but wouldn't say it. I just knew for sure this would be the show that she would tell all, but she didn't.

My grandmother saw the interview and she said she's writing a book...maybe she disclose her secret in the book!!!!...Cindy

My grandmother saw the interview and she said she's writing a book...maybe she disclose her secret in the book!!!!...Cindy

I bet her sales will be huge just b/c people will want to know. She may or may not say it but I bet people will buy it! Smart marketing tool!!

Just remeber that fast weight loss doesn't necessarily = WLS. I've lost 80+ lbs. in 3 mos more than once, but certainly haven't ever had WLS.

Good luck to her, I hope she's able to keep it off!

People magazine had an excerpt from her book and she doesn't admit it....more of the same -- Portion Control and hard work. Guess she's like the rest of us on the boards -- some of us tell, some of us don't. Never thought about the lawsuit angle. Seems that would be a stretch for legal grounds. No one's suing Carnie Wilson or Al Roker, are they?! Or who's the singer with the band (who disappeared

I think she had the surgery too. I guess the lawsuit angle is a valid one, although there is no cause of action if she doesn't endorse a particular method of weight loss - she could say "I did such and such because it was what my doctor and I thought would work for me." I think there is a benefit to her speaking out honestly. Women of color do not traditionally consider WLS as an option for us. We just don't. And I think that if Star were to come out and say that is what she did and it has helped her, it could go some way to reduce the stigma that is associated with WLS (whether we like it or not) - just my thoughts..

I saw Star on Larry King tonight and again she ditched the "How did you do it" question... Larry said well if you tell us here, you will be helping millions of other people over come the same conditions that you did. She danced around the subject, adding her new found ability to control her portions (I dont know if I believe that or not) and healthier choices. She said she use to eat a burger in one hand and fries in the other, but tonight she had a half of a chicken breast and broccoli and LOVED IT....~No one LOVES that except for a person whos been living on Protein Shakes and mushies~COMMON STAR COME CLEAN~ My bet, Weight Loss Surgery!!! She looks AMAZING!!! I will eat my words if Im wrong.... wait, only if they come in liquid form, or can be blended...ehehehe

Why are you guys so sure she had WLS? I've seen a couple threads about this here, and teh general consensus is, "She needs to just come out and admit that she did it!" There are other ways to lose weight, esp. when you have the $ for personal trainers, chefs, etc.

I, like mousecrazy, do not mean to come off grumpy, but it seems like people are of the opinion that that's the only thing she could have done. All weight loss must be the result of WLS... or something. I'm reading much more than opinion, I'm reading "She just hasn't admitted it yet." No one here really has any clue what she did or didn't do (and I don't see why it matters anyway).

Maybe we don't have conclusive evidence, but I think we have a clue...:) It's all in fun, I think. I am not sure anyone is losing sleep over Star and her WLS...That's why Star makes the big Bucks and can afford her personal chef and her personal trainers (:Banane34: read surgeon and surgery :rose:) because we are interested in her life...If we stopped being interested, she would be very concerned.