Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction vs Vomiting

I am 5 months post op with about 8 cc's in my band. Although I still feel no real restriction I have found myself vomiting a lot of stuff I could tolerate prior to my last fill. The 1st week following my fill was fine .. no issues, no restriction, but no vomiting either. I guess I should clarify the vomiting is usually related to being stuck. It can happen on bite 1 or bite 4 and it seems to have not started until the 2nd week post fill. Yesterday was beef stroganoff.. chewed real well and just a few bites before I was in agony and stuck.. today a hamburger patty, no bread .. again tiny bites, not overcooked, melted cheese for moisture .. no go. lunch I stuck w/ greek yogurt which is never an issue but a boarderline slider I think.. Tonite even a 1/2 cup of chicken salad took forever and was not comfortable but did not come up. I'm thinking chicken salad is moist, pretty chopped up. Am I in need of an unfill? I feel like I should be able to eat solids and not have to live on mushies.

I was the same way. I went to my Doctor and he done some xrays to make sure my band had not slipped.I was in luck no slippage. He took out 1/2 cc and I feel so much better no throwing up after everything that I tried to eat. Go and get some taken out sounds like you are too tight.Don't risk a slippage of your band.

what I don't get is how can I be too tight and yet have no restriction?

What do you mean you're too tight and have no restriction? Define 'restriction'.

I dont ever get that full, 1 more bite and I'm in trouble elephant on your chest feeling that I had the 1st 2 weeks following surgery. I can eat in quantity as much as I did preband, assuming it's something I can get down and it dosn't get stuck.

You have restriction, you just have to learn how to use it. YOu shouldnt be looking for "full", you should be aiming towards "not hungry". If you eat a small portion and you're "not hungry" for several hours then restriction is working for you. Its not sometihng you can actually "feel" in the sense that you're meaning. If you're vomiting, but not overfilled, then its user error - you're either eating too fast, eating too much, eating something that doesnt agree with your band or all three. If you're overfilled then you'll be vomiting very often, and probably resorting to soft, slider foods to get any nourishment in.

It would be nice if the band worked like this : - you eat with no trouble and you feel nice and full quickly and you never vomit, but really, it usually doesnt. It works more like this: You serve small portion of healthy food, eat it slowly and carefully, stop when you're not hungry but before you feel really full and then you use your brains, willpower, distraction techniques, whatever to not eat when you dont need to in between meals. You may be able to eat more than you think you should, but its up to you not to do that.

I am dying here, for the last week I have not been able to keep solid food down. I actually threw up Water on yesterday. Saw my doctor 2 days ago, he sent me to dietician due to poor eating choices. I feel absolutely miserable, I cannot even sleep at night, I feel like I have something stuck in my chest. HELP!!!!!

:ack2: ugh here we go again .. 3 bites of banana & stuck, geez babies who cant even chew manage banana. Maybe I'll see if I can ge a slight unfill before the long weekend. I don't want to be sick all weekend

You have restriction, you just have to learn how to use it. YOu shouldnt be looking for "full", you should be aiming towards "not hungry". If you eat a small portion and you're "not hungry" for several hours then restriction is working for you. Its not sometihng you can actually "feel" in the sense that you're meaning. If you're vomiting, but not overfilled, then its user error - you're either eating too fast, eating too much, eating something that doesnt agree with your band or all three. If you're overfilled then you'll be vomiting very often, and probably resorting to soft, slider foods to get any nourishment in.

It would be nice if the band worked like this : - you eat with no trouble and you feel nice and full quickly and you never vomit, but really, it usually doesnt. It works more like this: You serve small portion of healthy food, eat it slowly and carefully, stop when you're not hungry but before you feel really full and then you use your brains, willpower, distraction techniques, whatever to not eat when you dont need to in between meals. You may be able to eat more than you think you should, but its up to you not to do that.

Yes...^^^THIS^^^. Good post, Jachut.

Mimi: Are you taking small (baby spoon sized) bites, chewing well and *waiting* in between bites? I've noticed after my last fill that this is very important. Also...the Water...most times I can just glug it but sometimes my band is so tight that it goes down and rebounds...so now I sip slowly.

Kassy: Not unusual to get 'clogged' on something like bananas. They tend to be pasty and gluey. The only way I can eat them is to take a teeny bite at a time.

Ugh, bananas - IMPOSSIBLE for me to eat with any fill. I could eat an apple with the skin more easily than a banana. There is no rhyme nor reason to what our bands will tolerate. I couldnt eat easily bananas, yogurt, ice cream, juice, milk, but I could easily eat bread, steak, raw carrot and salads.

I had to bite the bullet. I was seen today and had 2 cc's taken out. Very frustrating since last week was a great week following my last fill. However after chatting today with the doc we came to the conclusion the vomiting started incidently the day I got my period this week. Today being day #4 and no vomitting to speak of however I am being insanely careful as well. Go back in a week and she will give me back my 2 cc.