Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going with the Sleeve!!

Comments like this may not affect those who have already had the lapband surgery or who are in advanced stages of getting it done but those of us who are just beginning. It's very confusing when someone comes on here dogging the procedure that I'm thinking of having. It makes me feel nervous and question my choices. It makes me start scramming to find more information..looking for some fine print that tells me how bad it is what I'm trying to do. Not to mention, my doctor will not give me a referral for any other WLS due to my autoimmune disease, she feels it would be risky. So I only have one choice and she's making me question my one chance. So I was just wondering why someone would want to come on here and make even more sour remarks about the lapband, it only adds to what she's saying.. but of course sleevetalk is more positive, it appears they are coming here to lay out dirt to make the band sound bad. So I end up with self doubt and wondering if I should do this at all. By the way, I did a little searching into the sleeve and I've read plenty of negative in just the 1 hour reading. I think you're going to find good and bad if you look hard enough about all WLS. And after reading for 2 months, I've found that different procedures suit different individuals. I read that the sleeve is for people who have very large amounts of weight to lose. I need to lose 125, it's enough but I don't feel I'm in a chronic stage that I have to go drastic to have a very large portion of my stomach removed,,which is irreversible. I'm looking for something to aid me, to be my helper. I know I have to work too, the lapband would be my partner in crime.

I really want this to be a happy and exciting journey for me but I'm getting fatter and very depressed. I want to come here and get motivated and plan my new life. I do that through the successes of others while waiting for my turn,,please people,,don't ruin it for some of us.

@ PeaceQueen - About 2 years ago I got started going forward to have the lapband. I was on a support forum, not this one, and got extremely freaked out w/ all the negativity. I ended up switching to Gastric Bypass. I got all the way to the pre-op appointment and then called and canceled. I waited a year doing nothing and getting heavier, more miserable and depressed. Finally this past September I finally got the ball rolling again to have the lap band surgery. I am at such peace with it. No matter the negitive things I may read I know that this is what is best for me and what I want. Sure there are risks, there is with everything. Driving to the store has risks. Walking/jogging in the street has risks. But so does being overweight. Get some post it's and put one reason per post it as to why you are doing the lap band. Stick them around. And put a few on your computer monitor so if you are online and read something that may concern or scare you, read the positive note you have right in front of you. And stop reading. It is so very easy to get freaked out by others opinions. Be strong and do what you feel is best!

If you come across a post that isn't encouraging to you then close it out. I know it is easier to say then do, that is why I changed my mind 2 years ago. If I would have just closed it out and not read it then I would be 1.5 years into my bandy already. :( At least I am on my way now.

@ HungryMel - Good luck!! Don't let anyone elses decision freak you out. It may be to much for them to handle at this point. Maybe she just isn't mentally ready to have the surgery or maybe she just really feels comfortable having the sleeve is what is best for her. And that is alright, we all need to make the best decision for us. I know her mentioning what her concerns are may be freaking you out but try not to let it. It is close to your surgery, I am sure you are nervous, even though you know this IS what you want, what surgery wouldn't make someone nervous. You will be fine! Think positive thoughts and only read success stories!! Again, good luck!!!

There are ups and downs for any type of WLS. It is up to the individual who is going to experience the surgery to do their due diligence and research each procedure so they can determine what they think is best for them. Any type of surgery is serious and everything has complications pre and post surgery. The mind is a powerful thing and can assist any of us with recovery and surviving any stage of the process that we choose. With that said facing our choices realistically and knowing that there are going to be folks who don't have a positive experience or are just going through a tough spell is apart of the process.

This site carries all of the above emotions / experiences, the good,bad and ugly which I would rather know about than find out afterwards. Knowledge is power after all. There is a high percentage of any WLS person who will believe that their type of surgery is the only way to go and will tell the world this as fact driven truth in their preception. There will be those with other thought processes and I don't know if there is a "right way" or a "wrong way"...I believe that everyone is different and like others have already said in this thread...it is great that we have choices. We all must make our own and wish each other success. Well we don't have to wish every one success, but WTH!

I personally find this site informational and an interesting take on different people's experiences and opinions. I lets me know that I am not alone and that sometimes we can be here for folks too!:)

Oh, and if you go into www.verticalsleevetalk.com and read their posts, they're almost all positive, unlike here......

Unfortunetly I'm' not sure whether to be happy for you or be angry at you. HA

I don't know whether your post was for support or to stir things up and give off negative vibes.

It"s horribly irritating to get onto my favortie web site because of ALL of the helpful people and information that I've gotten here, and find someone who says something like this.

If all in all you were looking for support in your decision I don't think that you needed to post your quoted comment above.

Although, I AM happy for you for taking a step towards weight loss.

I just wish that you wouldn't have posted a comment that might confuse or attempt to re-direct someone's decision to have the band. Simply stating that you were going with the sleeve and that you are excited for your life transformation would have sufficed.

Congrats and good luck! (BTW, I'm still getting a Lapband, cause that's what's best for ME!)

It's different for everyone. For me, I wasn't interested in something so serious as cutting off my stomach! I'm 25 years old. I personally don't have any problems with my band, and I never puke or PB and I can eat all types of food. But yes, some people do have issues. I also like that it's adjustable. Regardless its a lifestyle change! Good luck to you!