Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going with the Sleeve!!

So, I've been doing a lot of research between the band and the sleeve and have come to the conclusion that I'm going with the sleeve.

The main concern for me is all the complications of the band, the fills, the possible corrosion of the stomach, the leakage, the slips, the PBs, the restriction of food, etc really got me thinking... I went to a new doctor today since I was unhappy with the slow responses I got from them, as well as feeling as tho I was just a cow in line for the cattle call, and spoke at length with a girl there who was trying to get a crossover surgery from the band to the sleeve. She might not be able to get the surgery since her stomach is so damaged from the band.

After reading statistics....I've decided to go with the sleeve over the band.

Oh, and if you go into www.verticalsleevetalk.com and read their posts, they're almost all positive, unlike here......

Oh, and if you go into www.verticalsleevetalk.com and read their posts, they're almost all positive, unlike here......

Give it time. Naysayers will eventually get around to slamming it. Seriously, there are so many more people with bands, so there will naturally be more of every type of post.

I understand your wanting to go with the Sleeve, and if my insurance had covered it, I might have too...But the fact remains the the Band is the least invasive type of WLS. If you have a problem with the Sleeve, there is no going back.

and this is why my friends are telling me to stay off this site. my band surgery in 6 days and now after reading this - it gets me thinking.

Thanks for letting all of us here on lapbandtalk know.

So, I've been doing a lot of research between the band and the sleeve and have come to the conclusion that I'm going with the sleeve.

The main concern for me is all the complications of the band, the fills, the possible corrosion of the stomach, the leakage, the slips, the PBs, the restriction of food, etc really got me thinking... I went to a new doctor today since I was unhappy with the slow responses I got from them, as well as feeling as tho I was just a cow in line for the cattle call, and spoke at length with a girl there who was trying to get a crossover surgery from the band to the sleeve. She might not be able to get the surgery since her stomach is so damaged from the band.

After reading statistics....I've decided to go with the sleeve over the band.

Everyone has a different journey regarding which ever WLS they choose, and every WLS comes with it's own complications, success stories and unfortunately failure stories. I remember when Gastric By-pass was the fade, stomach stapling started 30+ years ago and until recently banding was the most recent, hottest procedure on the market. For me, there was no doubt in my mind that the Lap-Band would be my chosen procedure. It sounds like you have made the best informed decision for yourself. Best of luck in your journey!!!!!

and this is why my friends are telling me to stay off this site. my band surgery in 6 days and now after reading this - it gets me thinking.

HungryMel- If you have done your research, are aware of the procedure, the lifestyle changes required, and the risks and complications; then you have made the right decision for yourself. As stated so many times before on this site...the band is only a tool. There is no magic bullet with any of the WLS's. You can find great support and information with this site. Hope you stay around!!!!!

I'm sorry, I want to be nice but I've been struggling enough with my decision and what I need to do. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your coming on LAPBANDTALK to tell us about you getting a sleeve?? Is it to convince us to get one instead of the band?

Isnt it wonderful that we have choices in life? The word would be so dull if everyone did the same thing.

Best of luck to you.

that's why we all do our research... some decide to get banded, some decide on the sleeve and some decide on the bypass.

my friend had the sleeve procedure a week before i got banded. she had 200 pounds to lose, i only had 80.

in the 2.5 years that have gone by, she lost 160 pounds and i've lost 65.

she's slowly gaining her weight back and i'm still losing.

to each their own...

i understand the lap band procedure completely...i am getting banded on monday so there is no turning back for me...however, some posts on this site has hurt not helped me. people say things to freak me out. i hear the negative comments all the time from people in my life (i.e "my friend only lost 30lbs" or "have you ever tried to excerise") and hearing more negative stuff on a site that you are looking for support is very annoying.

HungryMel- If you have done your research, are aware of the procedure, the lifestyle changes required, and the risks and complications; then you have made the right decision for yourself. As stated so many times before on this site...the band is only a tool. There is no magic bullet with any of the WLS's. You can find great support and information with this site. Hope you stay around!!!!!

The sleeve as a stand alone procedure hasn't been around for a long period of time, and is still considered experimental by most insurance companies. I hope it holds up with long-term successes. Verticalsleevetalk also has not been around for long.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and long lasting weight loss!

Give it time. Naysayers will eventually get around to slamming it. Seriously, there are so many more people with bands, so there will naturally be more of every type of post.

I understand your wanting to go with the Sleeve, and if my insurance had covered it, I might have too...But the fact remains the the Band is the least invasive type of WLS. If you have a problem with the Sleeve, there is no going back.

I agree completely. Also, my surgeon, (Center of Excellence, Director of the Program), isn't fond of the sleeve for a few reasons that I agreed with. But, like another person said that I also agree completely with, choices are great :D