Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days postop..is this normal?

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and have question please. I got my band 12/27. Today is postop day #8, and for the past 3 days I have had pain all over my left side and left abdomen, from my ribcage down to where my appendix is. It's constant, but if I move gets very sharp and stabbing. The port site is just starting to hurt too. I initially had pain for the first 2 1/2 days, then it went away totally. I was painfree a couple of days, and now this started. I thought it was gas. I have used a lot of gas-x. I have used a glycerin suppository 2 days ago. I used a dulcolax suppository today. I now don't believe it's gas because I have passed plenty today, and the pain hasn't changed. It feels like a pulled muscle. Movement of my left arm or left abdomen or side hurts all the way down like I described. My doctor had told me that my activity postop was only limited by my pain. He told me to start exercising 1 day postop, and I did. I have been getting on my elliptical every other day for as long as I could go. I haven't been on it now in 2 nights, and it's still not any better. Any ideas? Anyone else have this "pulled muscle" feeling after surgery? How long did it take to go away? I am supposed to be released for work tomorrow and the pain is so intense, I'm not sure I'm ready. I work in labor & delivery and my job can be quite physical.

Thank you so much,

Beth

Wait a sec, you went and had major surgery with anesthesia, had at least 5 holes cut into your abdomen, and not just cuts...all the way through the muscle and into your body cavity holes...got pumped up with gas, banded, and the next day you are on the elliptical. And you wonder why you are sore?

Listen, I think your doc was referring to brisk walking at best when he said "okay" to exercise the day after surgery.

Okay, so you have ruled out bowel issues which is good. I think you need to get your butt on the sofa for a day or two and take some of your leftover pain meds. Tylenol would be a good start. liquid Advil would be better but it's an NSAID so check with your doc before taking that and wash it through with plenty of Water. No NSAIDS sitting on bands.

A little perspective is helpful. Skipping the elliptical for a week will not hinder your weight loss. Save your energy. Listen to your body. It's telling you to slow down and quit pushing so hard. Be kind to yourself and lay down!!!!

And congrats on your band surgery!

Thank you both. I specifically asked about the elliptical and he said that is fine. He really pushes you to resume exercising right away. I also told his nurse I was going to join Curves at about 2 weeks postop, and she said, "don't wait 2 weeks! do it right away." I thought since I had no pain at the time I could do this. Boy, but now I do. I think you both are right. I have spent the last 2 days resting & relaxing on the couch with a heating pad. I even have to sleep there sitting up. I still can't lie down in my bed. I have plenty of Lortab elixer left, and have had to take it about twice a day the past 2-3 days. I was really feeling discouraged (and scared something major was wrong) because I have befriended a bandster who was banded 1 day after me, and talked to her today and she told me she has zero pain.

Thank you again.

Beth

You know everyone's pain threshold is different! Take it easy! LOL! & don't freak out if the area around the port stays sore. I am almost a year out & my port site still gets sore & even hurts sometimes. Hope you feel better soon!

I am really surprised at the exercise decree by your doc. My doc specifically said take it easy and only do some slow walking the first couple of weeks. He said no heavy exercising until after 6 weeks.

I was warned to do nothing like exercise for two weeks at least, then just walking until six weeks. I wasn't supposed to lift more that ten pounds for a couple of days. I was told in recovery that bending over wasn't a good idea for a couple of days either.

My sister is a labor and delivery nurse, I don't think you should go back for at least 2 weeks but that is just my own opinion. What if you needed to move a larger patient and hurt your port area? I wouldn't risk it. This is a life changing opportunity, you are worth a Little time of TLC. I vote for easy does it.

bethrn --

i had the SAME exact pain in the same exact spot you describe. of course, the people who point out you just had surgery are right, you did have a serious surgery. HOWEVER, the thing I found out was the primary cause of all my pain and discomfort seemed to be from severe dehydration, so maybe that's part of it? Are you getting enough Water, etc? I was taking a medication that I should NOT have been taking right after surgery that contributed primarily to the severe dehydration (I was drinking like a horse, but nothing was working). However, this medication or not, I know it's hard to get a lot of anything down right after the surgery, and that could be effecting your kidneys, etc...

Just a few thoughts from someone who felt that same feeling your describing. Hope you feel better soon, and have the chance to take it easy for a while. Hang in there!

angie :)