Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you get banded?

What motivated you to get banded?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Spouse, significant other, other loved one suggested it?

2. 2. Medical problems that will get better with weight loss?

3. 3. To be more physically attractive to your spouse, significant other, etc?

So why did you get banded?

Did your spouse, significant other or other relative suggest it to you? If so, how did they do it? What did they say?

Did you decide to do it because of health issues? How are you doing?

Did you do it to be more attractive to your spouse, significant other, etd? And has it worked?

I did for my health. I am 44 and weigh 257 and on a path of self destruction. I have lost a lot of weight over the years but like most people I have lost the same 40 lbs a hundred times over. I have had a bad back injury that holds me back from excerising as much as I need to loose the weight. My boobs are too bif too 44 DD. I want to get back to a 38C. Not to mention gravity and age is starting to set in. Also I am always good all day and over eat at night or on the weekends. Or on the weekends go for the pizza, natchos as I have a stressful job. I am very excited about my surgery on Feb 9th. I can't wait to start the amazing journey!

K

So why did you get banded?

Did your spouse, significant other or other relative suggest it to you? If so, how did they do it? What did they say?

Did you decide to do it because of health issues? How are you doing?

Did you do it to be more attractive to your spouse, significant other, etd? And has it worked?

My biggest motivation was to improve my health and have hope for a longer, happier life.

Kiskis, you and I have fairly similar starting stats. Good luck on your journey.

I got banded for health reasons mostly. Before my mother passed away from cancer I promised her I would do something about my weight to decrease my chances of getting cancer as well in the future. At that time I was around 390 and she was more concerned with me than herself! Well, I am going to follow through with my promise! If I get sick it's not because I did not change my lifestyle! Secondly, I got banded because I want to look and feel good about myself. I am tired of being a fat grown up! I can't wait until I get under 300! I thought it would happen in January but hopefully I will hit 299 by the end of Feb! Good luck to you!

I had the surgery because I have medical problems and I was sick and tired of my weight taking control of my life now I'm taking control of it!

i was skinny as a child and teen. my early 20's i started gaining weight. by 30 i was fat.

my mother felt the need to call me out of the blue to TELL me i was fat and that SHE was telling me because she was afraid my friends wouldn't. like i didn't own a mirror?

her words hurt... bad. i started doing dangerous things to my body in order to lose weight.

i felt and still do feel that my lapband was the only think that could help me! now that i'm skinnier than my mom, she's telling me i need to gain weight.

go figure...

I did it to look better and to feel better about myself emotionally. I wanted to stop being discusted by what I saw in the mirror. I wanted to wear normal size clothing. I wanted to stop avoiding social situations because I was so overweight and felt so bad about the way I looked. I know it may sound strange or shallow, but I'm just being honest. I did not do it to get healthy like many others do. If my health improves with all the weightloss it is just frosting or gravy.

I did it for my health. I didnt see myself as heavy as I was when I had the surgery. I was having blood sugar issues and infertility issues. My husband NEVER ever has said anything about my weight or size. My knees were hurting and hauling myself off the couch actual hurt. I was completely disgusted with myself and what I have done to my body. I was shy about meeting people and never felt I was worth anything so I never pursued my personal dreams or goals. Now I feel like I can do anything even though I am still a ways from my weight goal. I look at the progress I have made and am so proud of who I truly am. Oh, and my hubby says I'm shrinking by the day and how beautiful I am and always have been :)

I did it for a few reasons. 1. I wanted to finally be healthy and not cringe every time I looked at my body in the mirror. 2. I wanted to be a healthy weight when I wanted to start having babies. and 3. My wedding is on 11/11/11, and I didn't want to be a super-sized bride!

I did it because of my health, high blood pressure, hips,knees, ankles hurting, Cholesterol sky high and I have three marvelous grandchildren that I want to be around and as I am lucky enough to be able to retire early, there are things that I want to do and to be around to do.

My status? My joint pain has all but gone, I am completely off of my high blood pressure med and I am now off my anticholesterol meds as my lab work has dropped significantly and I am hiking mountain trails...and my grand-babies, well we will be getting together this winter and memaw is going to be having a blast with them!:) I am one and a half years away from retirement and traveling along with starting a new career.

To feel better about myself and because I finally realized everything I was doing was not working! In fact, I think dieting is actually how I became obese!

I did it because I've always been able to lose weight easily. I'd lose 40 pounds and gain back 50 :( I also had a compressed disc in my lower back, high blood pressure and couldn't go up the stairs without huffing and puffing. The straw that broke my back was that my husband and I were only intimate about once a month. He said it had nothing to do with my weight, but I can't blame him if it did. He married a size 5 and got a size 22. So far I have lost 46 pounds and my back pain is gone, my high blood pressure is gone, I can go upstairs easily and my husband and I are intimate everyday :) So I'd say yes, it worked :)

I did it for my kids, so I could keep up with them at the park.

I did it for my husband so he could enjoy his wifes body more.

I did it for myself, so I could do things (like theatre) that I enjoy but was to embarrassed to at my former weight.

And I did it for all three of the people mentioned above, so I could have a longer happier life.

I've always been the fat sibling. I have 3 sisters and one brother who can all fit into a size 0-4. As long as I can remember I've never been smaller that a size 12. Dec 2009 after I had my daughter I decided to do somthing about my weight. I want to look in the mirror and feel good about myself, not have to change outfits because this one shows my big belly. I want to feel sexy in whatever I'm wearing. I dont want to walk into a store anymore and go striaght to the back to the plus size section full of animal prints. LOL Don't get me wrong I think I'm beautiful and no one can tell me anything different but I'd be lying if I said I'm comfortable with my body.

So to answer you question I did this for me. Yes overall it was make me a healthy person. Adding days onto my life for my children and future grandchildren. But a part of this is wanting to feel good about myself now in the present.