Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapSF are they any good?

I am considering using the Laporscopic Associates of San Francisco as my surgeons for the Lap Band. There is a place in WA that I am looking at also because they handle High Weight and High BMI patients.

I wanted to know if anyone who has considered or had there surgery at LapSF thought they were good surgeons and what there over all opinion of the Doctors and Staff were like. Also did you have a stay in an actual hospital? Did you feel like they tried to talk you out of having the Lap Band?

I would also like to here from any patients of there's who may have been High Weight or High BMI as well.

Using LapSF would be the best choice because I have family in that area I could stay with after surgery and when I would have to travel down there to get my fills or after care since I live in Oregon and it would make it easier for My Mother who would be coming out from Ohio for my surgery to be able to stay with family too.

I trust your guys opinions, you have helped so much with other questions I have had and so I again am turning to you for your opinions.

Thank You!

Hi there,

I have not been banded yet, but my surgeon to be is Dr. Feng with SFL. In the consult I did not feel as if he were trying to "talk me out of it," but I did think that he answered my questions honestly which I appreciated. I have read about him and his qualifications and I feel good about my decision. Are you seeing one of the three, in particular?

Kelli

Hi Kelli,

I havent been banded yet either and I am hoping to have Dr. Cirangle as my surgeon, but it isnt definate yet. I just talked with the coordinator about which band they use and what the extra rate is for a private room at CPMC is because I read it can be noisy if you dont.

I saw your a medical transcriptionist, I am thinking of going into that field myself. I am thinking of atteding M-tech.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them I just wanted to make sure they were as good as I had read and heard they were at this surgery.

Thanks,

Tonya

Tonya,

That's interesting to know the hospital is noisy! That would never have crossed my mind!

I highly recommend M-tech as a transcription school. It most definitely matters where you attend school. If you have any questions, please feel free to email at kbyers@spheris.com I would be happy to help in any way!

Kelli

I am a LAPSF patient and was banded by Dr. Feng. He definitely DID TRY to talk me out of having the band surgery, and tried to convince me that I was better off with a Vertical Gastrectomy, which is his favorite procedure. I stuck with the band because I did not want my weight loss to look drastic and I intend to have one more child eventually and feel more comfortable with a reversible procedure because of that factor.

Dr Feng is really sweet and a GREAT surgeon!! My procedure was done at the hospital (which is connected to their office building), but I did not need to stay overnight. I personally did not experience any issues with anyone being noisy, and I was not in a room, but more of a "bay" with a curtain. I may have preferred a private room if I was going to stay overnight.

Dr Cirangle did my first fill. He does not have Dr. Feng's bedside manner (read: Dr. Feng is nicer), but he was more willing to give me a Lidocaine shot than Dr Feng was because I am a huge chicken with big needles. I had 1CC and I am pretty restricted most of the time, and still losing, so I will wait a while for another fill.

The only complaint I have about LAPSF is that their aftercare instructions regarding diet and exercise are completely unrealistic. They want you to exercise 5 times a week and keep your diet to about 700 calories a day with no carbs, fat or sugar. If I could ahere to that I wouldn't have needed any surgery to begin with. After being on this board for four months I have a much more realistic vision of what I need to do without starving or depriving myself too much, and I am very happy with my results so far.

That being said, I do recommend LAPSF for your surgery, and LapBandTalk for your support and advice resource!!

P.S. Karen (Giveyouthemoon) was banded by Cirangle so hopefully she will hop on this thread as well.

Good Luck!!

Heather,

Thanks for the info! One thing I really like about Dr. Feng is his thoroughness when answering questions. I'm sure a lot of this business is about money, but when I asked him why he does this type of work, he said because in no other specialty can he see such happy patients a year after their surgery! He said that is motivating.

Are you pleased with your band experience?

Kelli

Very pleased so far. I have lost 30 pounds as of today, so while the weight loss is noticable it has been slow enough that I don't have to come out of the band "closet".

I have had some pretty awful PBs, but it's all the process of figuring out what I can and can't eat. I can no longer eat soft bread (WAHHHHHHH!!!!) or broccoli (whatever).

It's definitely a learning process, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

He was great! He met me in Hawaii where he came in to his office on a Sunday to meet me and discuss the surgery. On Monday he did the surgery and I was in the hospitle overnight. The nurse thought something was wrong because I never pressed the button for pain meds. I did not need it!

I was not able to do follow up in person with Dr. l Cirangle because at the time I lived in Anchorage, Alaska, but I kept in contact through e-mail and he always responed promptly and with through answers to my questions.

As a matter of fact my band sliped this summer and I had to have it un-filled. I asked Dr. Ciringle if my current doctor (Dr. Elariny) could contact him and he gave me his phone number and his staff's phone numbers and his cell number and said to please have him call. Which Dr. Elariny did.

Oh one more thing. The anastesologist (sp??) came to see me after surgery and I asked him how the surgery went and he said, "Some surgons are gifted and a pleasure to work with. Dr. Cirangle is the best I have ever seen. I doubt you lost a table spoon of blood". That about sum's it up I think in terms of how good he is.

Bonnie

Banded 2/2003

Dr. Ciringle

300/175/210

Start/when band sliped/current

Bonnie,

That is good to know! My surgeon is Dr. Feng. From what I have read and researched, all 3 surgeons are good. It's encouraging to read you have had such a positive experience!

Thanks,

Kelli