Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so and so had surgery and....shut up (vent)

I get so irritated when the topic of WLS comes up and someone blurts out about "someone" they know or they "heard" that someone had some horror story about the band. I was having a conversation with someone who clearly needs some weight loss intervention and she kept going on and on being negative about WLS. I kept my cool but it was hard. I am aware of the risks involved with having surgery but those isolated horror stories are not the norm. Sorry i'm so bitter it just makes me mad!!!

Thatgurl

I get so irritated when the topic of WLS comes up and someone blurts out about "someone" they know or they "heard" that someone had some horror story about the band. I was having a conversation with someone who clearly needs some weight loss intervention and she kept going on and on being negative about WLS. I kept my cool but it was hard. I am aware of the risks involved with having surgery but those isolated horror stories are not the norm. Sorry i'm so bitter it just makes me mad!!!

Thatgurl

I was really reluctant to tell my thin friends about my plan to have the surgery for this exact reason, but guess what? They both knew of people who had had it with WONDERFUL results... such a pleasant surprise!! Hang in there! We're doing what's right for us. Maybe they are jealous?

Thatgurl

Take a deep breath and remember: once YOU are banded and your weight is falling like autum leaves, you have have a whole new perspective. You will also be a lot calmer because you will know the TRUTH from first hand experience and you will calmly set them straight.

Don't let them get to you, just consider the source. There are so many people that don't have complications (like myself) and are happy and living a much healthier life because of the band. Concentrate on preparing yourself for your upcoming new life. It's going to be great!

All the best to you!

i didn't share with her that i was getting banded soon. only a few people know. but i'm going to hang in there and do what's best for me. Thank you for your kind words.

I was really reluctant to tell my thin friends about my plan to have the surgery for this exact reason, but guess what? They both knew of people who had had it with WONDERFUL results... such a pleasant surprise!! Hang in there! We're doing what's right for us. Maybe they are jealous?

Omg me too! Everyone just keeps talking about how it was on the news that someone died! and it just freaks me out, every surgery has a consequence, just like every action one takes, But the death rates are higher when you are obese so im willing to take that chance. i wish u the best!

Thatgurl

It does get really frustrating and it is even worse if you are a self pay going to mexico. I just took the advice like some of the other posters and thought about the day when I would be dropping weight and feeling great. Some people are just not well educated on WLS or they are just the type of people that don't like to see others happy. Good luck!

Omg me too! Everyone just keeps talking about how it was on the news that someone died! and it just freaks me out, every surgery has a consequence, just like every action one takes, But the death rates are higher when you are obese so im willing to take that chance. i wish u the best!

Someone at work asked me if I was afraid to die. I told them that I was more afraid of dying from obesity related illnesses. Of course, the same person asked me if she could have my clothes after I lost weight. And if I died, could she sleep with my husband. I didn't put a lot of stock in that....I talk to my other co-worker who has lost a lot of weight and is very healthy.

Someone at work asked me if I was afraid to die. I told them that I was more afraid of dying from obesity related illnesses. Of course, the same person asked me if she could have my clothes after I lost weight. And if I died, could she sleep with my husband. I didn't put a lot of stock in that....I talk to my other co-worker who has lost a lot of weight and is very healthy.

And when she asked about sleeping with your husband did you, on reflex, slap the hell out of her!?!?!?! LOL Really, some people have a hell of a lot of nerve. But seriously, of course you could not slap her, but you could have said "Well, sure, I wouldn't mind if I'm dead ... but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want YOU!!!" Okay, I know, not nice, but that, along with the other things she said, was pretty tacky.

Hang in there and get ready for more "haters" once you have lost the weight.

All the best to you on your journey.

~fran

Keep to your guns...those who don't know the process, the research that you've done or the soul searching have no idea what it is that we go through. Gossip is just that...gossip! They hear stories and by the time it gets to you it has been totally changed!

I've only told a handful of people about my surgery because of the negative ignorant comments that some people make.

WLS is a personal thing and if you don't want to share with someone that you are having it, so what.

WLS doesn't mean that we are losers....wait a minute yes it does! LOL

I can lose the weight....now I'll be able to keep it off too!

It does get really frustrating and it is even worse if you are a self pay going to Mexico. I just took the advice like some of the other posters and thought about the day when I would be dropping weight and feeling great. Some people are just not well educated on WLS or they are just the type of people that don't like to see others happy. Good luck!

Feel the vent on this one for sure.

Im obessed. Everyone I know (while I know they love me) keep telling me that they cant believe I think I need WLS and Im so young, that I'm not "that" overweight, why dont I try it the "healthy way" first (excersise & eat right), they are questioning my sanity because I choose Mexico, etc. Hello, I'm 85 lbs overweight and Im 5'1"...that is obesse. I have tried to diet and excersise. I have had 3 kids 3 yrs in a row, my body is worn out. Mexico works for me because America insurance companies say they want to wait to approve you until you are morbidly obese or wait until you have even more health issues. I also chose Mexico because this Dr I chose has 4 times if not more experience then majority of the American doctor's and his hospital has a lower infection rate then majority of American hospitals. Sad but true.

Ok thanks for the vent. =)

Take a deep breath and remember: once YOU are banded and your weight is falling like autum leaves, you have have a whole new perspective. You will also be a lot calmer because you will know the TRUTH from first hand experience and you will calmly set them straight.

Don't let them get to you, just consider the source. There are so many people that don't have complications (like myself) and are happy and living a much healthier life because of the band. Concentrate on preparing yourself for your upcoming new life. It's going to be great!

All the best to you!

Thank you so much for your kind words. They help so much. I can totally relate to where she was coming. I just get tired of hearing about the "they said" or "someone heard" stories. They drive me nuts.

I think the people who share those "I heard about someone" horror stories are the same kind of people who are quick to judge others, quick to jump on the bandwagon to be a part of the gossip story of the day, and who will be hard-pressed to admit they might be wrong. If you said you were having a surgical procedure to help you stop smoking, they'd all get on board and tell you how proud they are of you. So consider the source, and try to maintain your focus. They probably think they're helping, and are not aware of how negative their comments can be.

I work at a hospital, and I'm all over the place. (I repair computers, so you can imagine how much I get around the entire place.) To a person, everyone has been amazed at the difference in my appearance since I've lost a fair amount of weight in such a short time. People are coming out of the wood work to ask me questions about how I did it, where was it done, and so forth. I've shared with everyone who has asked, and I've been as upfront as possible about how things are going for me. Only now am I starting to hear people say how worried they were for my health before surgery, because I was so out of breath, always flushed red in the face, and so forth. The changes so far have been amazing. I keep telling everyone to wait another six months, and see how I look then.

Keep in mind that everyone has a personal journey with weight loss, and you are no exception. So when the naysayers are trying to tell you how risky things are, or how dangerous you're being, just tell them you appreciate their concern, but time will tell how you do. If you're anything like me, you're doubling up your resolve to make sure they are all proven wrong.

Also, remember that a lot of folks are not educated about weight loss surgery. They will easily confuse RNY or stapling with banding because they don't know any different. There are some real horror stories with RNY and stapling surgeries, and they may think it's the same with the band.

Keep up the good work.

Dave

And when she asked about sleeping with your husband did you, on reflex, slap the hell out of her!?!?!?! LOL Really, some people have a hell of a lot of nerve. But seriously, of course you could not slap her, but you could have said "Well, sure, I wouldn't mind if I'm dead ... but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want YOU!!!" Okay, I know, not nice, but that, along with the other things she said, was pretty tacky.

Hang in there and get ready for more "haters" once you have lost the weight.

All the best to you on your journey.

~fran

I wanted to slip the s*** out of her. But didn't. My husband and I work at the same company. He works downstairs in computers. I am a social worker. I told her that I didn't that was a good idea. I wouldn't want her raising my kids. She is just jealous. She in a miserable marriage, etc. I feel more sorry for her than any thing. My husband told me he wouldn't want her. She is a CRAZY person.

I guess my whole point with offering that was to say not to listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Stay with the people who are successful...the same thing I tell my clients who are getting clean off drugs and alcohol.

I am so happy to have support on this website. Thanks to everyone