Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on the 10th, 12 days ago, and my incisions have healed fine but now my abdominal muscles are really sore around my incisions and by the end of the day it just plain hurts. How long does this normally last? Also, my stomach is bloated and i was wondering about what time will this start to taper off too? I understand it is different for everyone but i read on here how some people are barely over a week post op and walking laps....all i can think is "ouch".

Also, i had my 1st post op appt with my surgeon two days ago and he asked if i could feel my band. I said i could feel a tightness in the middle of my chest and assumed it was the band or just the unrelenting gas i have devolped since surgery. He said that is the first time he has heard that.....his statement kind of made me nervous. I thought that was common as well. If you could feel your band how long did it take till the gas/tightness went away?

Thanks to anyone who replies...this board has kept be sane the past couple weeks.

Your port sight might hurt for months its because the muscles are cut and the port is sewed in the muscle. You have to walk to get those other pains out of your stomach the longer you dont the longer you will have them. Try walking even if it hurts.

Fluffytofabulous is right. Walk even if it is a small distance multiple times through out the day, walk around your home, walk, walk and then walk some more. When you lie down or sit try a heating pad on warm to take away some of the aches and pains.

Good luck

I'm one week post op and I too am hearing from folks to walk, walk and more walk. Today was the first time I got out of the house and the more I walked the more it felt like the gas build up. But then..it hit...the broth I drank wanted to come out. So I went home and won't go into details, but lots of gas expelled itself!!

Hi,

I was banded on the 6th. My incisions have healed and my staples were removed last Tuesday. I still have lots of discomfort in my abdomen. But during this time, my pain has started to diminish slightly in different areas at different times. I got out of my SUV yesterday and felt like I pulled a muscle on the right side of my abdomen. I will be turning 48 next week and I am not recuperating like some of you younger folks. My surgeon said that some people can go back to work in 4 days other in 4 weeks. Also, that my pain was normal. I had a hugh hernia repair at the same time, which I am sure caused alot of swelling making recuperation time longer. I was told that I could expand my foods and felt good up until today. I over did it yesterday with food, small bites, but not pureeing. I won't do that again. I had such pain around my port site today. So, I will just wait and continue eating mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs and the like. After all, I am on a weight loss journey and know I have to do this for my health and for myself.

Hi,

I will be turning 48 next week and I am not recuperating like some of you younger folks. .

I'm there with ya Che...51. Have a HaPpY BiRtHdAy!!!

I had my surgery on the 10th, 12 days ago, and my incisions have healed fine but now my abdominal muscles are really sore around my incisions and by the end of the day it just plain hurts. How long does this normally last? Also, my stomach is bloated and i was wondering about what time will this start to taper off too? I understand it is different for everyone but i read on here how some people are barely over a week post op and walking laps....all i can think is "ouch".

Also, i had my 1st post op appt with my surgeon two days ago and he asked if i could feel my band. I said i could feel a tightness in the middle of my chest and assumed it was the band or just the unrelenting gas i have devolped since surgery. He said that is the first time he has heard that.....his statement kind of made me nervous. I thought that was common as well. If you could feel your band how long did it take till the gas/tightness went away?

Thanks to anyone who replies...this board has kept be sane the past couple weeks.

It's especially during this time to remember everyone responds a little differently to the surgery. Some people have horrible left shoulder pain from the leftover gasses and I was dreading that! But it never showed.

I had an unrelenting pressure directly under both ribs for months, which no one else seemed to have.

My point is I think there are sensations and symptoms that some people will have and others not.

Perhaps your doctor will learn something new from you. My doctor keeps his ears open for any new comments, suggestions, symptoms he hears from his patients so that he can help others.

One funny thing, my doctor is from another country and had never heard of hunger pangs! I brought up the subject of hunger pangs in the recovery room right after surgery, though I could not hold a conversation about it because I was all drugged up. He immediately wanted his nurse to tell him all about hunger pangs. "hunger pangs. What are hunger pangs???" It makes me laugh to remember his urgency about that. He said he needed to know so he could help his other patients as well.

So,hang in there. You haven't mentioned anything I havent seen written here before :) I hope that helps.

Just let yourself heal.

I had a hard time motivating myself to get up and walk around. But try to do that if even for just a few minutes at a time. It really does help. Your body will appreciate it. And please, please, please don't compare your recovery to anyone else's!

~hiddn

I'm one week post op and I too am hearing from folks to walk, walk and more walk. Today was the first time I got out of the house and the more I walked the more it felt like the gas build up. But then..it hit...the broth I drank wanted to come out. So I went home and won't go into details, but lots of gas expelled itself!!

But did you feel better then? Sometimes things just need to move or get out.

it is my second week post-op and i still feel a little bloatedness sometimes. my doctor just allowed me to eat Pasta after 2 weeks of pure liquid diet. i have already lost 11 kg and my recovery is good considering that i am also a diabetic.

my doctor is very firm when he says "ambulate, ambulate, ambulate!" even when it causes me to get dizzy sometimes. he even urges me to go to the mall, walk around and eat sugar-free ice cream if i want to.

you will be okay in a while. ;)

Thanks,

My brain still feels like I am 20, which has always been my problem with my recoveries. I need to hear from more people my age so, I can get my brain on the same page as my body......lol....

Thanks,

My brain still feels like I am 20, which has always been my problem with my recoveries. I need to hear from more people my age so, I can get my brain on the same page as my body......lol....

Slow down - we are NOT kids anymore and our bodies can take longer to heal.

But did you feel better then? Sometimes things just need to move or get out.

Oh yes I did..:)