Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I come to you for advice/suggestions ...

I have stepped up my exercise: I get up at 5:30 a.m. M-F and power walk 2 miles at the track before going to work.

I am being disciplined with my food: Protein Drink for Breakfast (I haven't been able to eat solid food for breakfast for over a year now); meat/protein and veggie for lunch; and meat/protein, veggie and starch for dinner.

I am trying to only eat a cup of food at each meal. The problem is that my energy level start going downhill around noon each day. My days have been very busy at work, and long due to responsibilities after work. I am happy with the improved weight loss, but I am tired of being "tired". BTW, I take multiple Vitamins, Calcium, Fiber, etc., daily. Still, I am dead on my feet by the time I get home to cook dinner. I am not sleeping well, I suffer from insomnia ... but it has not been too bad lately. I'm sure it's because I am exhausted.

How do YOU keep your energy up and get enough nutrients with exercising AND minimal food intake? Please help.

Thanks very much,

~Fran

Fran,

What if you switched your starch to lunch time rather than dinner? That might up your energy in the middle of the day. Do you have enough calorie deficit to add a Protein Shake mid afternoon perhaps?

Fran,

What if you switched your starch to lunch time rather than dinner? That might up your energy in the middle of the day. Do you have enough calorie deficit to add a Protein shake mid afternoon perhaps?

I can give that a try. I can probably play with my calories and have a small Protein shak mid afternoon. Thanks!

I am always concerned when I read that someone can't eat solid foods for breakfast. You should be able to eat solids after drinking something hot. If not, you may be too tight. Also, how many calories are you eating? It could be that you are eating too few. Don't sacrifice nutrition for weight loss. You will ruin your health if you do. Also, try Nature Made sleep Aid, it is not a sleeping pill and it is non-addictve (most OTC sleeping aids have antihistamines in them, this doesn't and is all natural). Try that to help you sleep and see if you change a few things if you don't feel better. Good luck.

I am always concerned when I read that someone can't eat solid foods for breakfast. You should be able to eat solids after drinking something hot. If not, you may be too tight. Also, how many calories are you eating? It could be that you are eating too few. Don't sacrifice nutrition for weight loss. You will ruin your health if you do. Also, try Nature Made sleep Aid, it is not a sleeping pill and it is non-addictve (most OTC sleeping aids have antihistamines in them, this doesn't and is all natural). Try that to help you sleep and see if you change a few things if you don't feel better. Good luck.

Actually there are a lot of us bandsters that cannot eat solids for breakfast. I don't have a problem with it because I don't get hungry before lunch. Chances are because I take a BP med with a diurectic, I am prone to being dehydrated in the morning, as a result my band is tight when I wake. Once I am hydrated, I can eat. I have a Water and usually a cup of tea between breakfast and lunch. Physical hunger has never been my problem -- "head hunger" all the way! Now, as for my calorie count ... you may have something there. Between breakfast and lunch I am probably averaging 400-500. I do better at dinner, maybe another 500. I must pay closer attention to my calories. I have been trying to cut my carbs drastically in hopes of greater weight loss in a short time period. Even when I was on diabetes meds (that ended about 3 months after lapband surgery) I had more issues with low blood sugar than high blood sugar. I have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the Nature Made Sleep Aid suggestion. I will try ANYTHING to cure this insomnia. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

~Fran

Fran,

For a long time I was not able to eat solid foods for breakfast, but I could go 4 hours with just a Protein drink so I didn't worry about it. Then for a few months I had no problems with solid food for breakfast.

For some reason, my band is tighter these past few days and I'm back to Protein drinks for breakfast and, I agree, it seems to be normal if we want to have enough restriction the rest of the day.

Is it possible you're going too long between breakfast and lunch? When I do that, it doesn't matter that I'm eating lunch, my blood sugar levels have dropped enough that I'm still fatigued for hours. Same thing if I don't drink enough Water.

You might try having a Protein snack mid-morning (a hard boiled egg, 1-2 oz of hard cheese)...maybe even mid-afternoon. I tend to avoid carbs (except those in vegies) at my lunch meal because just 1/4 cup can set me up for mid-afternoon fatigue. Might not be an issue for those who aren't carb sensitive.

Have you had your thyroid or estrogen checked? Both of those will effect your energy. I have to get both mine checked every 4-6 weeks. If my thyroid is low oh man am I exhausted!!! When my est is low I cant sleep. Funny, but both have gotten way off since losing weight!

I also think eating a few more calories in the early part of the day....

I too do the liquids for breakfast...or some thin oatmeal.....even pre band breakfast in the morning made me feel sick... Like my belly isn't ready or awake or something...haha

Have you had your thyroid or estrogen checked? Both of those will effect your energy. I have to get both mine checked every 4-6 weeks. If my thyroid is low oh man am I exhausted!!! When my est is low I cant sleep. Funny, but both have gotten way off since losing weight!

I also think eating a few more calories in the early part of the day....

I too do the liquids for breakfast...or some thin oatmeal.....even pre band breakfast in the morning made me feel sick... Like my belly isn't ready or awake or something...haha

@Trish, it is definitely time for a physical. I should have my thyroid checked while I'm at it. I so hate going to the doc, but I know I must.

"Is it possible you're going too long between breakfast and lunch? When I do that, it doesn't matter that I'm eating lunch, my blood sugar levels have dropped enough that I'm still fatigued for hours. Same thing if I don't drink enough Water.

You might try having a Protein snack mid-morning (a hard boiled egg, 1-2 oz of hard cheese)...maybe even mid-afternoon. I tend to avoid carbs (except those in vegies) at my lunch meal because just 1/4 cup can set me up for mid-afternoon fatigue. Might not be an issue for those who aren't carb sensitive."

@Elfiepoo, I frequently wait too long to eat lunch. I have been very busy at work lately and sometimes lose track of time. But, I also have a problem when I don't bring my lunch, trying to think of something to have for lunch. I don't buy food out very often since banding, so thinking of something healthy and tasty and small can be a challenge around here.

You know, I tried a "light" string cheese between breakfast and lunch the other day. I don't know if it was that the cheese "actually" tasted horrible or if, because I was not really hungry, I just didn't feel like eating. Either way, snacking is sometimes a problem for me -- unless I am eating a cookie, cupcake, or something ELSE that is sooooo BAD for me, but sooooo GOOD to me. LOL I also tried some steamed baby carrots the other day before leaving working because I knew I was not going straight home. They were okay.

I looks like I am going to have to experiment and keep notes until I can get this right.

Thanks to all for your very helpful advice!

~Fran

For energy try liquid B-12 with your morning Vitamins.

Ok, does it REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY (and did I say REALLY - LOL) work? But seriously, I ask because about six months ago I tried the sublingual B-12 Vitamins and didn't feel any different. But, if you tell me that the "liquid" REALLY works, I will be happy to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

~Fran

In addition to caloric intake you may want to have your Vitamin and mineral levels checked via a blood test. Low Vitamin D, B12, and Iron can all cause lethargy.

I was experiencing low energy in the afternoons as well...I started reading "Change your Brain, Change your Body" By Dr. Amen and have found that I am what I eat...

If I eat junk for lunch I feel junky later...If I eat good stuff at lunch I feel good later.

I have also started taking "Mega Red Krill Oil" the fish oil capsules are just to big to swallow, and making sure I get my Multivitamin in as well every day.

I make sure I drink water/crystal light all through out the day, and I have felt a big difference in just 1 week.

Good Luck!

HI,

I totally get what you mean about not being able to eat at breakast......I usually have a Protein shake....primarily because I don't have a lot of time. My days are long and quite variable. Some times unpredictable too.

I wonder if your calories are too low? Each person is different and you might have to mix it up a bit. I aim for 900/day....some days are less, some days are more....but pretty much never above 1200.

I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast, a greek yogurt mid morning, a Protein packed lunch (my favorite right now---perdue chicken short custs, a cheese stick cut up into pieces, grape tomatoes cut in half and some low calorie honey mustard dressing), I have a mid afternoon snack (depending on the day it may be a Kashi bar or a serving of almonds) then a protein packed dinner. If I am hungry, I try to get my fruit in as an evening snack.

Jackie

I learned something from a group of cardiac nurses in the hospital I work in. They put about 2 oz of orange jiuce in their Water bottles and fill it the rest of the way with water and/or ice. There is just enough juice mixed in to help keep your blood sugar up during the day without adding a lot of sugar. It has worked like magic for me.