Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

**NEED HELP WITH DOUBT**

Ok, so I'm all ready to get the lap band... I'm just waiting for the approval from insurance and then all the pre-op testing to be done; however.... I have this friend who is putting doubt in my head about my surgery. She has had the Sleeve done and is sending me all these sites that bash Lap Band and sites where people have crossed over from the band to the sleeve due to complications!! I've already decided that the Lap Band is something that could really assist me in my weight loss journey but the more I'm reading these things the more I'm doubting my decision and considering the Sleeve...

Please HELP!!! Should I actually change my mind and request to have the Sleeve done or stick with the band and "hope" it works for me w/out all of the possible complications and risk not losing weight and risk having to do a cross-over surgery later????

That's a pretty personal decision. You will read many negative things on this board, but it is human nature to yell and shout and complain when we're not happy, Many people don't stick around this board once they've succeeded, they're out dating or having a life. Plus getting the lapband is like having a baby so it seems, everybody knows somebody and everybody has an opinion. Only you know what is right for you! :)

Ok, so I'm all ready to get the lap band... I'm just waiting for the approval from insurance and then all the pre-op testing to be done; however.... I have this friend who is putting doubt in my head about my surgery. She has had the Sleeve done and is sending me all these sites that bash Lap Band and sites where people have crossed over from the band to the sleeve due to complications!! I've already decided that the Lap Band is something that could really assist me in my weight loss journey but the more I'm reading these things the more I'm doubting my decision and considering the Sleeve...

Please HELP!!! Should I actually change my mind and request to have the Sleeve done or stick with the band and "hope" it works for me w/out all of the possible complications and risk not losing weight and risk having to do a cross-over surgery later????

I had the same issue for a brief second, I think you should go over the pros and cons with your surgeon. Everyone is different, we all have to keep that in mind:)Good Luck

1. What kind of friend is she? A good friend would respect and support your decision.....ESPECIALLY one that has been in your shoes and had WLS.

My best friend had the sleeve done and she has had amazing results....because she followed her dr's orders to the t and worked hard to get there. She fully supports my decision for the lap band and have NEVER tried to steer me another direction.

2. Most insurances won't pay for the sleeve.

Bottom line, no matter what WLS someone has, it requires commitment, effort and a life of dedication to keep yourself healthy. Anyone can have complications from any of the surgeries. I think the best thing for you to do is to focus on your own thoughts, feelings and needs and not be lead or discouraged by your friend. It sounds as if you have thought about this decision and she def needs to respect your decision.

Oh....and lap band is reversible should you have complications....the sleeve....NO BUENO can't get that stomach put back together....

I'm actually quite confused. I've been on the www.verticalsleevetalk.com website reading what people are posting on there and then jumping back to the success stories on this forum. You know, everyone is different and success is success but for me the Lap Band is the perfect tool for me since I dont have a handle on my eating! With the lap band I will be 'forced' to eat very little and really focus on what/how I eat! The sleeve is the removal of the stomach and guess what?? the stomach is a muscle and if you continue to overeat it will eventually stretch back out to what it was before it was removed!! Look at Carney Wilson! But, Yes, this can also happen with the Lap Band but I would rather give it a try and see how successful I can be while banded and then take it from there!!!

Sleeve vs Band.... ((round 1))

I'm actually quite confused. I've been on the www.verticalsleevetalk.com website reading what people are posting on there and then jumping back to the success stories on this forum. You know, everyone is different and success is success but for me the Lap Band is the perfect tool for me since I dont have a handle on my eating! With the lap band I will be 'forced' to eat very little and really focus on what/how I eat! The sleeve is the removal of the stomach and guess what?? the stomach is a muscle and if you continue to overeat it will eventually stretch back out to what it was before it was removed!! Look at Carney Wilson! But, Yes, this can also happen with the Lap Band but I would rather give it a try and see how successful I can be while banded and then take it from there!!!

Well, there ya go! You sound like a strong woman who has her mind set and we will all be here to share our trials and tribulations with! Good luck on your journey. I just got my approval TODAY after a 2 year process to get approved......February 10th is my date and it's going to be a committed marriage for life! :D

I totally understand. I was at a support group meeting for all types (RNY being the majority) and they just kept telling me and telling me that a RNY was the way to go...no...not for me. I've done my research and do believe that a lap band is best for ME. do not be bullied into something that you don't want. Stand up for yourself and the band. it's small in numbers, but it's something that needs to be done. Good luck!

Hi, I am really new to the band but I want to share what my doc said to my daughter today when I had the sutures removed. My daughter asked if the band can be in forever, my doc told her that it can be, or it can be removed if needed. She said the benefit of the band is when I reach maintenance, it will be adjusted and If I find myself gaining weight, they can adjust it again to help me get back to goal. The surgeries where the stomach is cut, there are no more options. You are cut and that's it.

For me, I want to be dependent (accountable) to my MD office. I want the constant interaction. I didn't want to be cut and just be sent off to live my life with no other options. I need someone tracking me.

You have to make the best choice for you, your personality and your lifestyle. Weigh your pro's and cons...make a list and don't forget to talk to your surgeon.

Good luck!

I agree with you JoMi, I like the option of getting adjustments and learning how I need it. I like the fact that it's reversable. I like that you lose slowly (no flabby skin for me). What I don't like are the posts about slipage and the potencial of wearing away the stomach tissue. I know most happy ppl don't post cuz they are out living their lives but I have seen a lot of positive posts too. Plus, its a lot easier to get approved. I just want to be sure I'm making the right choice....

Hi Stacy. I too had this same dilemma today. I went as far as even calling my doc's office and changing my choice to the sleeve. After I sat down and actually thought about it though, I realized that I let my excitement and other people's opinion get the best of me. I was totally content with the band before people started with their bad opinions about it and how the sleeve is much better. I too have been to the other forum and read about all the switches from band to sleeve, but when it was all said and done, I realize that the band is better for me. Just because it didn't work for them, it shouldn't discourage me from doing what I already had my heart and mind set to do. I trust you will make the right decision for you as I have made for me. I called the doc's office back and told them I'm sticking with the band. Best of luck my dear. ;)

Do what your heart tells you is right. I agree that a good friend would respect and support your decision.

There are pros and cons for every WLS. I researched all of them and decided on the band for a number of reasons...and discovered a reason or two afterward that made me glad I chose the band.

1. The long-term outcome for bypass, sleeve and band are comparable. Yes bypass and sleeve lose more quickly in the beginning but at the end of 2 years, sleeve and band statistics are the same as far as weight loss.

2. The band is less invasive and reversable. Recovery time is much faster.

3. The band is adjustable. The sleeve is whatever it is.

3. The most important reason:

The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves, which in turn tells the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. When this hunger is suppressed, it becomes more doable to make good choices. Sleeve patients have that part of the stomach removed that produces ghrelin so they get an immediate hunger cessation...the reason for the rapid weight loss their first year. *HOWEVER*, the body in that year learns how to start making it again and after the first year, it is producing that hunger hormone again. According to a recent bariatric report provided by my surgeon, they are seeing a rising number of sleeve patients coming back for a band in order to control that hunger...and they speculate on how many more there are who can't afford that second surgery.

I've had my own difficulties adjusting to life with the band, but I am 14 months post op and have no regrets.

There are pros and cons for every WLS. I researched all of them and decided on the band for a number of reasons...and discovered a reason or two afterward that made me glad I chose the band.

1. The long-term outcome for bypass, sleeve and band are comparable. Yes bypass and sleeve lose more quickly in the beginning but at the end of 2 years, sleeve and band statistics are the same as far as weight loss.

2. The band is less invasive and reversable. Recovery time is much faster.

3. The band is adjustable. The sleeve is whatever it is.

3. The most important reason:

The band works by putting pressure on the vagus nerves, which in turn tells the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. When this hunger is suppressed, it becomes more doable to make good choices. Sleeve patients have that part of the stomach removed that produces ghrelin so they get an immediate hunger cessation...the reason for the rapid weight loss their first year. *HOWEVER*, the body in that year learns how to start making it again and after the first year, it is producing that hunger hormone again. According to a recent bariatric report provided by my surgeon, they are seeing a rising number of sleeve patients coming back for a band in order to control that hunger...and they speculate on how many more there are who can't afford that second surgery.

I've had my own difficulties adjusting to life with the band, but I am 14 months post op and have no regrets.

Thank you for sharing this - it is really good information to know. I was not aware of this hormone.

Melody- You are the BEST! Thank you for that information! I knew about the removal of the "hunger" hormone with the Sleeve but didnt read the statisics on the stomach "growing" it back over time!! That's really good to know, especially since my problems dont arise from being hungry all the time.... I have a tendancy to eat when I'm not even hungry so being banded and forcing me to adjust my eating habits is VERY important for me!!

Thank you again for this information!! Very valuable!!!