Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Pasta Experience

So prior to getting the band, I was addicted to Pasta. Loved it. Ate it almost everyday in huge portions. I'm 3 weeks post-op and allowed to start eating solid food. Of course, I went right for the Pasta. I figured "It's soft..why would it be difficult with the band?" I knew it was a problematic food for a lot of bandsters but I figured I'd try it anyway.

Big mistake. I ate the pasta carefully in small bites and chewed carefully. However, within about 3 bites, I was in AGONY. I can't even describe the pain. It felt like a lot of pressure. I felt the need to get up and walk around and take some deep breaths.

Luckily, I didn't throw up and the pain eventually subsided. But it appears I just cannot tolerate pasta. I see many new bandsters like myself asking about pasta. Basically, the advice I would provide is to approach with caution. Some people can tolerate it and do fine with it. Others (like myself) just can't. I've learned that food tolerance is highly individual and no one can know for sure what they'll be able to tolerate. However, it's best to approach some foods with caution.

I've also gathered from reading the blogs that the foods people can tolerate changes without warning or reason. One day they can tolerate something & the next day they cant and vice-versa! I am 10 weeks post-op and have been lucky so far as I've been able to tolerate everything I have tried but I don't take that for granted as I'm sure the day will arise where that changes.

Was it white or wheat Pasta? I cannot tolerat white pasta because of it being coomed aldente...but wheat pasta needs cooked longer and so its easier to chew enough.....also its.alot better for you (in terms of pasta)

Not only that, but you're only three weeks post op - so that kind of makes a difference too. You will still have a lot of post-op swelling for even a couple more weeks before it finally goes away.

That's so odd. I heard that too and I don't understand what it is about Pasta that would cause that. I have had some mac n cheese with my soft foods and been fine, as a matter of fact, nothing so far has bothered me in the least. Knock on wood :)

I just made the mistake of eating Pasta even though I knew I shouldn't because I throw it up every time i eat it and low an behold I threw it up....I should just ban pasta from my house but the kids really dig it...:blink:

I have had some angel hair Pasta with lots of sauce....and did okay. But I have to tell you, I no longer really like it.

YAY! a fellow Pasta addict! like everyone says it just depends on the person.. I tried some mac and cheese 4 weeks post op..it went down fine it just felt kindof funny.like not stuck but it just didnt feel right ...I just had my first fill, and im afraid to try Pasta bc i know it will probably get stuck this time! I wish i could stay away from it all together..i mean it did contribute to me being so overweight but its so good! lol.. a lot of people have trouble with doughy breads.. i can do toast fine but i had two bites of a soft pretzel and had my first (and only) "stuck"experience when I was 5.5 weeks post op so watch out for that too!

weight.png

I was (and am) a total Pasta addict. I still can't eat "long" pasta (spaghetti, linguinie, angel hair). When it does make me sick, it is clear that I am just swallowing whole pieces. With other pastas, I can tolerate them some if I make sure that I am VERY, VERY careful about chewing and stop as soon as I start to feel uncomfortable.

I too love pasta! I am only 2 weeks post op so I'm not even there yet to try it. BUT, this is what my Dr. told me about Pasta. He said that as you chew Pasta and white bread they turn to paste. This paste then starts to gum up the opening to your stomach. This made a lot of since to me so I think I will most likely try WW Pasta but not white pasta.... :(

Hope this helps someone out!!

It's the gluten in it.

I had some kind of Pasta dish the other day, it was like a noodle Soup, and I didn't have any problems, but noodles weren't the main event in the dish.

Yea try like corkscrews, macaroni things like that instead of long strands. Also I'd make sure it's the whole grain with Protein in it :D or maybe try gluten free, or I saw they make rice Pasta and other types of noodles that aren't just flour if it's causing you problems.

Or for me for dinner generally I have ground turkey, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, I don't miss the pasta.

I must be lucky. Just hit 4 weeks post op today and I've had brown rice, white rice, white Pasta and wheat Pasta and no difficulties. Could be a blessing or a curse.

We'll see what happens after my first fill...