Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction & Erosion??????

I am wondering if being over filled could lead to quicker erosion??? I got a tiny fill a few weeks ago and since then have had a very hard time with anything that is not liquid. I am wondering if keeping this level of restriction is harmful at all. I am going to start again with the Protein Shakes to make sure I am getting enough Protein, but if I can deal with liquids only, is it bad to maybe be over filled? I figure it will loosen as I loose weight so it's semi temporary right?

You've lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time - wow! Was your restriction as severe as it seems to be now - from the very beginning? Maybe you didn't need that first fill so early on.

Others that know more than me will comment - so listen to what they have to say.

Patti

Since no one knows for sure all the factors that may lead to erosion, do you really want to risk it? The band was not designed to restrict you to a liquid only diet.

I would recommend getting a slight unfill, and let the band help you as you change your eating habits for the better. You never know when you might have to go "solo", and wouldn't you love to have good eating habits already in place if that ever happens?

Being too tight definitely creates a risk for slippage, as people who are too tight tend to vomit, which is the number 1 cause of slippage.

I am wondering if being over filled could lead to quicker erosion??? I got a tiny fill a few weeks ago and since then have had a very hard time with anything that is not liquid. I am wondering if keeping this level of restriction is harmful at all. I am going to start again with the Protein shakes to make sure I am getting enough Protein, but if I can deal with liquids only, is it bad to maybe be over filled? I figure it will loosen as I loose weight so it's semi temporary right?

YES YES YES!!! Get some removed ASAP as that can cause erosion and slippage. Almost all band problems stem from over restriction.

I just got .3cc's removed today because I was too tight to eat apples and grapes. Its important not to be over restricted because that, for one, will cause for problems with the band in the future and two, will make for a much less healthy diet. When I can't eat an apple to satisfy my sweet tooth I'll grab some ice cream since it'll go down easily. It's hard to get some removed because we think not being able to eat solids will somehow be better, but its not.

Also, if you get ill where you vomit it could swell up to the point where you are not able to swallow even your own spit. It is very unpleasant - ask me how I know. :)

My advice is its much better to not be as restricted as you could be then to be over restricted.

Man was not meant to live on liquids alone. :)

Mae

You should definitely have an unfill. The band is not intended to put you on a liquid diet once you are healed.

Your weight loss is inspirational, though!! Great job! Don't worry, you will continue to lose when you can eat solid food, it just may slow down a little.

The band was not designed to only drink liquids. If you can not eat solids then you are too tight! Get a small unfill. I know being too tight can lead to slippage. Erosion I do not know if there is any relation..but not worth the risk at any rate. Having as little as .2 cc's removed can make a huge difference in being able to eat solids but still lose weight. This is not a race..it is a journey :)

I spoke to my Dr today and he said he would take some of my fill out if I thought I couldn't eat at all, but where I can do most mushies, he thinks I might just be slow on digesting meats etc and to just lay off them a couple of days and see if it gets better. If not he will unfill next week. He said my fill was small and is surprised I am having such problems so he wants me to really try to work with the fill -- whatever that means! He thinks that within a week or so I will better be able to tolerate harder foods -- although he did not say why........I was just reading another thread about sliming as a response to the first few bites of food. This is how mine starts and then progresses to PBing. Maybe I just have to get past that and then try to eat after a few minutes. Many have advised a warm drink prior to meals. Maybe I will try that tonight too....thanks for all your replies............