Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear Reese's Pieces..I hate you..

I have been doing great with my portions and what I pick...except for one thing. I have been to the movie theater twice this weekend and both times I got a bag of reese's pieces... They are so good but then I feel horrible about eating them after words. I guess the theater would be considered a "trigger" for me. Because I feel like I need to be eating something? Good thing I dont go much ;) But other that those two boxes I have been eating completely low carb and am still losing weight. :) Anyone else have a weakness that I can relate with? I also need some butt kicking for eating them..lol

I think the real title of your post should be, Dear Reese's Pieces... I love you. I know I do, ha, they're amazing. I guess with everything you gotta moderate. There's no reason why you can't have some pieces every now and again. I wouldn't want to live a life in which I couldn't enjoy foods occasionally. We are all here because we have made a conscious choice to try to get our weight under control. What is the point if you're going to be miserable, though? Use them as rewards. Have a good week at the gym and reward yourself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

At my presurgery group therapy session on food habits some people commented on going to the movies as an eating trigger. To me that was a suprise because I have never in my life bought myself food at the movie thearter (I have gotten stuff for my nephews). Growing up we NEVER got food at the movies because it was too expensive. Post surgery I did discover a liking for Peter Pan honey roasted Peanut Butter. I was eating it out of the jar. I have stopped buying it. I think telling yourself you can NEVER have something sets you up for failure. Eating in front of the TV/at movies is mindless eating so you will consume more than if you ate at your dinning room table. If you want to have candy at the movies I would buy a small package at the grocery store and sneak it in. Packages at the movies are really 2+ servings. If you only have one serving that is all you get to eat. For the record thin people mindless eat at the movies too. I've gone to the movies with my adult nephews (thin) and they will have eaten the whole bag of candy that I snuck in by the end of the previews! If I ask for a candy at the start of the movie and they say "Sorry Aunty Honk they are gone." Grrr.

Beergut, you are totally right..it should be "I love you" not "I hate you" lol And thank you for your reply. I agree, every once in a while shouldn't be totally off limits. :)

And Honk, in your nephews defense, those previews last forever ;)

Thank you for your reply!

I am totally addicted to Reese Pieces (my cat is named Reeses actually), Peanut Butter cups, any other candy with chocolate and peanut butter, peanut butter out of the jar. Peanut butter in general. I was in the baking aisle yesterday and those bag of peanut butter chips were really calling my name lol. I think I said out loud "Get out of my face". People in the aisle must've thought I was crazy. I really like PB2 to help ease my peanut butter craving. But I do allow myself to enjoy what I like now and again. The other day, I got a box of butterfinger snackers. I think it was 170 calories. I just factored it in to my calorie intake for the day. The suggestion to get a small bag of candy and bring into the movies is a great one. Movie candy is HUGE. Over Thanksgiving break I got a big box of reeses pieces at the movies too (and of course ate the whole thing). I'm working on not beating myself up if I have a slip up (slip up is not so much eating the treat, but actually overeating it compulsively). My therapist was telling me that even though our inclination is to beat ourselves up when we have a slip up/binge/whatever, that is the time that we need to be good to ourselves. Maybe the kinder and more forgiving we are to ourselves, the less we'll feel we need to use food for comfort ?

After reading your love for reese pieces, I got to thinking, can we eat popcorn? I love to smell popcorn, but when the husk gets between my teeth, I can't stand it. Although, to hear people at work talk about the low calories, I just wonder if it would give me problems eating it, considering bread does.

After reading your love for reese pieces, I got to thinking, can we eat popcorn? I love to smell popcorn, but when the husk gets between my teeth, I can't stand it. Although, to hear people at work talk about the low calories, I just wonder if it would give me problems eating it, considering bread does.

Some bandsters have problems with popcorn, some don't. I have no problems with it myself, but I do have trouble with bread.

<br />Some bandsters have problems with popcorn, some don't. I have no problems with it myself, but I do have trouble with bread.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

I hope I dont have problems with popcorn. that is my favorite snack. If I cant have the bread I must have my popcorn. I have time before I can find out, Just 5 days out.. lol

I'm getting to the point I wish I had a probelm with popcorn because it is too easy to snack on....it has definitely become my new mindless eating food....

I am so glad I live where there are no reeses pieces. I swear if I did I would eat them all the time. I love Peanut Butter and they are so good.

I think a little snack is ok but in moderation. Maybe next time go to the movie theatre and get a smaller bag or sneak in a small bag so your not eating a lot.

As for popcorn my band has days where it loves it and hates me but kernels popcorn ( caramel etc) always goes down easily.

I think the band needs to be wired to our brains and our stomachs

I don't have a problem with popcorn (although I have heard that some bandsters do and my nut told me that its not a band friendly food). I really like the 100 calorie bags of popcorn. Its like 4 or 5 cups of popped popcorn. Yum!

I've eaten popcorn succesfully but I eat very little of it. My weakness is not Reeses pieces....it is Reeces peanutbutter cups. It's the one thing I HAVE to buy and hide in my nightstand. I buy the mini's so I can have just enough to cure the craving...which is two sometimes three. It was funny reading this post....seeing how so many have the same weakness. I thought I was alone.

LOL you are def. not alone girl! I got on the scale this morning and was up a lbs. I figured id gain a lbs or two because of them lol darn it. BUT, I'm back on my low carb track now. I'm done with reeses until I meet my next goal atleast!

I will have to try some popcorn, but unfortunately I started eating a handful of Pistachios everyday. They are good in Fiber and I can chew it till it is real fine. mmm they are so good.

Peanut Butter is a must have for me...i've missed it a lot over the last few months...I can't wait until I get tot he point where I can enjoy it again. I used to sit with a jar of PB and just eat it with a spoon. Have since I was a little kid :)