Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess mucus/sliming

Happy to have found this thread...so here's whats going on with me:

I had my band placed July 31, 2012. I was DESPERATELY ill for the first 10 days...the surgeon did not add any Fluid to the band when he placed it, but with the issues I was having - severe nausea, headache, could not drink or eat anything of nutritional value - he took Fluid out.

So that fluid-removal set me "back" a little from what I should have started. Still, I lost weight.

I've had a couple fills, and TWO removals, but gained about 5 lbs in the midst of that.

Had another fill last Monday, and Doc said it was only about 1/2cc b/c I am so sensitive to the fills...I followed the rules to the T, and finally tried hard-solids on Friday in the form of a Clif Builder Protein bar. I had no issues.

That evening, I went to Taco Bell w/ my family and chose a Mexican pizza - THIN crispy 'crust', soft ref Beans and gr beef. I could not eat but about 3 TINY bites and it all came back up, GUSHING.

When I went to bed - after staying up LATE to make sure things were settled down, I could not lay on either side because of choking on all kinds of phlegm...literally. It woke me up choking and coughing. I finally propped myself up and slept on my back and did rest.

I felt awful all day Saturday, all day yesterday and today isn't looking too good either. I am having caffeine withdrawal because I am afraid to even try a Diet Coke (which I am addicted to), so I've been 36 hrs w/o caffeine. I'm afraid to take a Tylenol for fear of not being able to keep it down.

I fixed a Protein shake this morning (milk and Protein pdr) and tried to SIP it...it has mostly stayed down, but LOTS of slime.

So, all that to say, how long would you go before calling the dr.? I feel like SUCH a wienie, considering he says I am WAY BELOW "normal" capacity in my band, and appear to be hyper-sensitive to the fills. I wonder if I just need a few days on THIN liquids to see if things will settle down. I don't want to have fluid taken out. I just have TWENTY more lbs to go and I would love to get there....but I can't live like this either.

anyone else had the sensitivity to the fills? If so, how did you handle it?

All input will be appreciated!

Kim

I have my lapband done June 24. 2013 and I have lost weight but just had my 3 rd fill and omg I can't drink much and eat almost nothing ..its just so uncomfortable also feeling like a pain in my chest and omg I burp sooo much that's the only thing that helps...I've also been throwing up what ever little food does go down..idk if this is normal or if I should seek help...any one any suggestions...please...

Hey All:

Im hoping someone can help. From what im reading I have all the symptoms of 'sliming' which is making me gag just writing that. I think I may have a small blockage (stuck pill from earlier in the week) but food is going through - my biggest issue is this god forsaken post nasal drip. Im fine in the morning when I wake up but the second anything hits my mouth - the snot just starts pooling in the back of my throat and im gagging on it all day. Im gettin about 85% of my food down and then the rest is coming back up b/c the 'drip' is just gagging me beyond belief. I can't seem to snort it down, hot or cold liquids are helping very minimally - but im just disgusted with this already. Ive had a blockage before so I know what that feels like - but this snot issue is all new.

Was filled to 7cc on June 9th under fluro. First 3 liquid days - no problems. Next 3 days yogurt, mashed taters, scrambled eggs, quiche - no issues. Day 7 stuck pill from Migraine - day 8 flushed blockage with big slug of Peanut Butter - blockage cleared. Since the 18th ive been off and on with what i cant get down and what i can but that's when this post nasal drip started. IM OVER IT.

I really don't want to call the dr if its nothing - but has anyone else experienced this? It only seems to happen when I start eating or drinking which is leaving me to believe its band related and not the onset of a sinus infection - which in that case I'll call my PCP. Hopefully someone out there has also experienced this and im not alone.

I've had my band for over 3 years and STILL have the mucus and sliming issue. It wakes me up at night just coming out. I have to change gowns and the bed. I'm so tired of it. I do not over eat or eat things I'm not supposed to . I can't find a reason for this. Any advice from anyone at all is appreciated.

I've even had an unfill and put on a lot of weight trying to get some sleep. I don't think this is normal either, but can't seem to find any answers either.