Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 15th is Banding day!!!

This diet has been great for me! The first day was the worst by far! But I am doing pretty well on the hungry front! But I also really like to cook so making different Soups and blending the hell out of them has been a little fun!

I am also getting Protein from powders!

I am using Click, Isopure, and a random chocolate and vanilla one from Kmart.

The key with all of the shakes in my honest opinion is to blend them with ice! It is like a milkshake. I use the vanilla with fruit for a smoothie.

I was not however a fan of the unflavored Isopure AT FIRST. It wouldn't break down...

But today I made some Soup and then added a scoop of the powder and used a hand blender and buzzed it. It was fabulous. No extra flavor not grit...nothing! Impressed!

thanks for the suggestions ajames and cindy, milkshakes do sound way better then just drinkins, and im sure after 5 days of sweets a Soup will taste like a god-send. Where is everyone getting unflavored Protein powder? i looked in 2 places today and couldnt find it and think it will be necessary for my week of clears.

loralee- i too am scared of the anesthesia, but they do have stuff to reverse it and having talked to an OR nurse about 1 in 20 people do have a reaction and they just give this med, reverse it, and try another sedation method. I also talked to my ER doc who did a surgical residency and he said that without family history or previous reaction your chances are very slim, just dont drink alcohol or smoke the week before and make sure they know ALL of your meds, otc and scripts, and the chances decrease even more. Most of the time someone does not tell them about a heart problem or their lungs are so fibrotic from smoking/aspestos/ect. that they get the tube in and start to give meds and the person's lungs cannot handle that, just be honest and you will be fine =). That helped me relax a little about it, but i doubt i will be turning down the pre-anesthesia sedation iv meds the day of.

What is everyone bringing to the hospital? I have to stay overnight per the doc, all his pt's do, and since i have only worked nights, never been a pt, im not sure what to bring...i have chapstick, change of clothes, magazines, ipod, slippers, and a robe packed already (yup, all set!) what else would you bring?

Here we go everyone, 10 days till a new you =)

How is everyones support team at home? My husband started to question me last night and it sucked, i mean prolly because i wa slaying on the bed just talking about how much i miss food right now, this may sound strange but maybe this is why i am goin to a therapy session tomorrow, but i miss food, i feel like i lost my best friend, everything i see a food commercial i get sad and depressed and i want a cheeseburger so bad!!! or we went out with friends last night and they went to dinner and we ended up coming home cause i cant have anything there...then my husband kept asking me if this is what i want cause i will never have any of that again, then i start to qiestion and i need this done cause i am in such sore shape, i have way to many problems, but i love food....he made me angry

whey ready" data-cite="Whey ready" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1291529940" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="117801" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">

thanks for the suggestions ajames and cindy, milkshakes do sound way better then just drinkins, and im sure after 5 days of sweets a Soup will taste like a god-send. Where is everyone getting unflavored Protein powder? i looked in 2 places today and couldnt find it and think it will be necessary for my week of clears.

loralee- i too am scared of the anesthesia, but they do have stuff to reverse it and having talked to an OR nurse about 1 in 20 people do have a reaction and they just give this med, reverse it, and try another sedation method. I also talked to my ER doc who did a surgical residency and he said that without family history or previous reaction your chances are very slim, just dont drink alcohol or smoke the week before and make sure they know ALL of your meds, otc and scripts, and the chances decrease even more. Most of the time someone does not tell them about a heart problem or their lungs are so fibrotic from smoking/aspestos/ect. that they get the tube in and start to give meds and the person's lungs cannot handle that, just be honest and you will be fine =). That helped me relax a little about it, but i doubt i will be turning down the pre-anesthesia sedation iv meds the day of.

What is everyone bringing to the hospital? I have to stay overnight per the doc, all his pt's do, and since i have only worked nights, never been a pt, im not sure what to bring...i have chapstick, change of clothes, magazines, ipod, slippers, and a robe packed already (yup, all set!) what else would you bring?

Here we go everyone, 10 days till a new you =)

I got my Isopure on Amazon... prices were the same everywhere and no shipping! I think I am going to order some crystal light type isopure later today for the day before surg and the day after.

I think that is a good grouping of stuff to take to the hospital. I don't have to stay so I haven't thought of it. But honestly I spent 3 nights in the hospital a few months ago and everything my husband brought to me I didn't even touch except for the chapstick. Slippers are a great idea for sure. Maybe the ones that are like socks with grips on the bottom so you don't have to take them on and off. Matter of fact I think I will get some of those today too! Good luck!

JD: you will eat those things again. Just not like you do now and maybe modified. Like no bun or only the bottom bun. You will see. But I think that therapy is a good idea for you. Loads of people on here feel the same way but I assume that food is like therapy to you and perhaps finding another outlet is exactly what you need. We all have struggles...if we didn't then most of us wouldb't be getting banded. But try and look for the positive things instead of missing the food part. Good luck my dear. It is a tough road to follow but you'll make it!

Thanks i guess its so hard right now cause of the holidays and i opened the sale cirrculars today and the coupon book had coupond for Arby's. Subway, Perkins, and Sweet tomatoes and steak and shake and i am like OMF that looks soooo good, i feel i am cheating on this liquid diet right now cause i have snuck a slice of deli ham with hardley any calories on it or fat, or a peice of chicken tender i baked last night, just one to satisfy myself...seems since i threw up the broth on the first day its hard for me to stomach that right now..LOL i know i will be able to have the things i love again but much smaller than i used to have, fast food was always a convienence, and i have spoiled my 7yr old with that and thats sad i have done that, nothing like telling your child no you cannot have that cookie its bad for you, BUT you eat it!!! the therapy i am goin to is a local support group with people who had had gastric and lap band so i hope it helps me out, my husband doesnt understand cause he doesnt have the issues i have

JD: you are sooo close to a new you, don't lose it at the end here...easier said then done but its important for ur liver to shrink or else the doc won't be able to lift it to place the band and u will have undergone anesthesia for nothing only to be sent home to try again, and idk about u but I won't go through this twice. My insurance and doc made me go to group meetings before surg and after surg they are required for 6 months and before any fills I get and I think its a good thing, they help u realise ur not alone and give u tips and ideas on how to help with problems ur going through...even with a supportive SO they have truly become my other family and support system. The thing is they helped me realise I am addicted to food and how to help treat my addiction to it and find ways to manage it before the surg so I don't set myself up for failure after...remember this is just a tool not a cure. Try to see what it is ur really after...is it just the chewng of food or salt or cheezy taste? Find a substitute that's in ur diet and remember, this is only temporary...the new you can be permenant and what an example u will be setting for ur child when u get back to a healthy weight and a healthier u, good luck :)

10 days till new us :)

I love reading all the excitement in the posts of the upcoming bandsters! I remember waiting for my date.

I had my Lapband on 1/31/10 and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

Even after 11 months, I still have a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning. It has become part of my life and I enjoy it. You can get creative with adding frozen or fresh fruit. I use the GNC brand. I have found that it tastes great. Personally I couldn't handle Isopure - completely made me gag. In fact I still have about a case in the pantry - wish I knew somebody close by to give it to.

Stay positive - You can do this!

Type 2 diabetes GONE and life is good!

I love reading all the excitement in the posts of the upcoming bandsters! I remember waiting for my date.

I had my Lapband on 1/31/10 and it has been the best thing I have ever done.

Even after 11 months, I still have a Protein shake for Breakfast every morning. It has become part of my life and I enjoy it. You can get creative with adding frozen or fresh fruit. I use the GNC brand. I have found that it tastes great. Personally I couldn't handle Isopure - completely made me gag. In fact I still have about a case in the pantry - wish I knew somebody close by to give it to.

Stay positive - You can do this!

Type 2 diabetes GONE and life is good!

Mine is isopure powder not the liquids. I probably won't like those either! I use the unflavored in Soups and it really is fabulous if you blend it. I use a few others and so far none of them are that bad if you mask the taste a bit!

I am getting banded on the 16th! Pre-op and final Dr appt is in 2 days on the 8th. I will be put on liquid diet at that time but I'm not sure yet what that entails.

My biggest fear about surgery -my liver being too large for surgery

My greatest concern after surgery - my blood sugar dropping too low (I'm insulin dependent type 2 diabetic)

What I am looking forward to - 1. Not taking insulin shots anymore! 2) Not living my life around food! I want to have a life......food will no longer be the event but rather what I need to do and event :)

Good luck to everyone and feel free to chime in and tell me your experiences. I'm new to this post so doing lot's of reading right now.

Had all the pre testing today and got to speak with the anesthesia np and she made me feel loads better about my first time with general anesthesia. And I get fentanyl and versed before I even get into the room, and as a conscious sedation certified nurse that makes me feel so much better knowing I will be out with 100% reversable meds for the most part, plus versed causes retrograde amnesia so woot, no memory of being scared poop-less :)

Starting the liquid diet today and can u believe it...surgery only one week away, eek!

Anyone have any salty/ non sweet clears other then broth I should try?

anyone else feel like they are going to explode with all the anxiety and excitement and worry and happiness and ect. that its only 2 days away? i have packed, re-packed, unpacked and then packed again, and i still know i will forget something. I even have a final in school tomorrow, went back for my masters-blah!, that i dont care about nearly as much as the following days surgery. ahh, its really coming up fast, everyone surviving the liquids ok?

Starting to get nervous today. I can't explain why or what I'm even nervous about, just that jittery feeling in my stomach. And I had gotten used to the Protein Shakes. I kind of miss mine today. But I did get full with just the juice from a can of chicken noodle Soup. How is everybody else doing?

I am getting banded on Dec 13th ! I start my high protien diet tomorrow. its not just liquid I can have hard boil eggs,string cheese cottage cheese protien bars... I know for my dr's rule is 2 weeks of Clear Liquids broth Jello but the good news is alot of people I talked to say they dont want food for a while....its hard to picture this... i am at the point I cant sleep at night I am so excited... there is a down side to this for me the closer my date comes the more mu hubby is NOT happy......I dont care at this point. I have to do this to save me. i have high blood pressure and sugar runs wild in the family...dont want that either so he has to adjust !!

keep in touch !!!!

Amy

Hi Amy, I will be banded Dec. 30th and start my preop diet the 17th. It is also high protien. You are one of the few that seems to be like me.

Good luck to all of us!!

Patty from TX

Good luck to all the December 15th bandsters!!! I'm ready!

CIndy