Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm feeling so discouraged right now, advice please...

I'm newly banded. I've had my band for a little over 3 months now.

I got my first fill in September. That brought me to 4 cc's total and I had great restriction from that for 2 whole weeks. During those 2 weeks I got full on a cup of food 3 times a day. I wasn't hungry and I wasn't having cravings and I was loosing weight. Then after 2 weeks my restriction left and I started being able to eat a more normal amount of food and I was hungry again.

Then in October the doc said well it sounds like we're close to your perfect fill level so he added 1 more CC for a total of 5. Still nothing changed I was hungry all the time.

Last Tuesday I got my 3rd fill that brought me to 5.5 cc's. My weight is not budging and I'm hungry all the time. My surgeon said it's b/c I'm not getting enough Protein.

So Monday I said to heck with it and I went back on Weight Watchers. I get 25 points a day for my weight. On Monday I had 25 points and 76 grams of Protein. Yesterday I was even more hungry. I ate a total of 30 points and 92 grams of protein.

Today I woke up STARVING. I've been starved all day. I had my coffee like normal and a low point Breakfast and I was still starving so I had a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and still hungry. I waited an hour and was starving so I gave up and just ate some high calorie leftovers.

I'm discouraged. I know I'm over my points for the day. The added protein doesn't seem to be helping.

I'm scared that my restriction may not come back but it will won't it?

Why did I have such great restriction for a couple of weeks and now none? I'm beginning to feel like I'm on another pointless diet. My health insurance paid for my band in full but I'm starting to think I should have paid cash and got the sleeve instead.

Do you guys have any advice or words of wisdom? I know I've already lost a little over 30 pounds and that's great but I'm still on high blood pressure meds and I'm still battling my sleep apnea and knee pains. I'd like to get my loss going

again.

On a side note: The last diet I committed to was Weight Watchers. I followed their points guidelines and I got down to 174. But I was starving all the time and gained it back. Right now I can't get under 194.

Gosh, it sounds like you may have a leak...does he pull back and measure? I am sorry for what you are going through.

Mimi

Yep. He pulls back and measures at every single fill.

Will you list your meals for yesterday and today?

Amanda, I am glad you don't have a leak, but I am mystifed as to why you aren't getting restriction.

Best wishes,

Mimi

So is that not really normal? I mean should my restriction have come back by now?

Will you list your meals for yesterday and today?

I second this.

I didn't have much restriction at all until I got to 7.5 CCs in a 10 CC band. Everybody's different, but I would suggest continuing to get fills.

It sounds perfectly normal to me.

You may need to have a talk with your doctor and nutritionist. Take a close look at you calorie intake and count every single calorie. You may find that there are hidden calories that you don't realize you are even taking in. Butter on the popcorn.....Salad dressings.....Sugary drinks, all those add up fast. Don't defeat yourself my just giving into temptation to eat something and grab the first high calorie thing that is available. Notice I said "defeat yourself", it has nothing to do with the band..... as we all have heard so many times in the past, the band is just a tool.... you have to put in the work! SF Jello, SF popsicles even sugar free pudding are great low cal treats that can ease that initial head hunger. Best of luck!!!!!

Hm...I hate to say it but I'm not sure if I've ever really had totally proper restriction with the band. Sometimes I can eat ANYTHING and sometimes I can barely eat one bite without the throwing it up. The majority of my weightloss has been from me anally counting calories and now, exercising (and when I stopped both of those things, I gained weight back). How many calories is 25 points?

For me, this isn't a diet because I'm not restricting a particular food or macronutrient (i.e. no carbs, no fat, or whatever other crazy diets are out there). I'm eating foods that I like and that taste good (one would be surprised how many healthy foods there are that taste absolutely amazing) but I am exerting a certain amount of will power. I could easily eat 3000 calories a day (there's over 1000 calories in a pint of Ben and Jerry's, I could easily eat 3 a day...probably more) but I know that my calorie cap per day is between 900-950. So I just have to stop there.

I guess another question - are you actually physically hungry or is your head hungry? Much of the time when I have a desire to eat, I am definitely not hungry but my head is trying to compel me to eat. Not really an easy thing to deal with, but its definitely a good thing to be able to recognize within yourself.

Gosh. Good luck to you.

Spoiltmom, hang in there. I was feeling EXACTLY like you. I had felt a "taste of restriction" and then it was gone. Was back to being able to eat anything. Even bread. I got my fourth fill on Monday...HOLY CRAP...I think I'm there! Today was my first day on real food, but even from day one I could feel my coffee "taking up room" in my pouch. I'm SOOOO excited!!! I think I finally have the type of restriction that everyone has been talking about instead of just getting a little stuck here and there one minute and then being able to eat anything under the sun the next. You are not at restriction yet. I will admit that I got stuck about 3x today (not good, I know), but I'm in shock at the difference. I can only eat a tiny bit and then one more bite does me in (if this is to last, I WILL learn :) I was soooo disappointed that I didn't get this feeling after my third fill. It's here now though! I am hopeful that it will last! I do have another fill scheduled for Dec 19 just in case I need a tweaking by then (probably will). I got .5 cc the last 2 fills. If this restriction lessens a bit, I will try and get a .2 or something in another month. I feel this is what I've been waiting for FINALLY! I think I have a total of 6.5 in a 10cc band now. I can't say that I feel exactly "stuffed, but cannot however eat another bite...ya know what I mean? I was barely able to get in 800 cals. today and that was with a Protein Shake to help. I feel really optimistic about this band for the first time in a long time :w00t: It will happen...just keep getting your fills!:blushing:

Hey there -- you just may need some more fill to get you into the green zone. Don't despair! Once you get there, you'll be on this journey like gangbusters (er, but at a slow, healthy rate of loss!)! This is definitely a marathon, not a race -- give it some time and you WILL get to a good point and on your way.

Hang in there!! I promise that it gets easier!!

Best wishes for your success,

Catherine

Hm...I hate to say it but I'm not sure if I've ever really had totally proper restriction with the band. Sometimes I can eat ANYTHING and sometimes I can barely eat one bite without the throwing it up. The majority of my weightloss has been from me anally counting calories and now, exercising (and when I stopped both of those things, I gained weight back). How many calories is 25 points?

For me, this isn't a diet because I'm not restricting a particular food or macronutrient (i.e. no carbs, no fat, or whatever other crazy diets are out there). I'm eating foods that I like and that taste good (one would be surprised how many healthy foods there are that taste absolutely amazing) but I am exerting a certain amount of will power. I could easily eat 3000 calories a day (there's over 1000 calories in a pint of Ben and Jerry's, I could easily eat 3 a day...probably more) but I know that my calorie cap per day is between 900-950. So I just have to stop there.

I guess another question - are you actually physically hungry or is your head hungry? Much of the time when I have a desire to eat, I am definitely not hungry but my head is trying to compel me to eat. Not really an easy thing to deal with, but its definitely a good thing to be able to recognize within yourself.

It's approximately 1250 calories a day.

For me I'm actually physically hungry.

Taking a look at my menus over the last few days though I noticed I was hungriest Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday. Tuesday we had Purple Hull Peas for supper and I had them again for lunch on Wednesday.

On Monday all 3 meals were more solid foods that all had to be chewed really well.

Could that have made a big difference?

Just saying we are at our best when we at last experience good restriction. I am a yr out from being banded and my Dr still insist on 4 oz per meal period. I ve had 3 fills total 6cc now in my band. I don't count calories just measure intake I am allowed to snack between meals as needed but something always healthy like fruit or a few nuts. I have also become a big fan of getting a good serving of protien to start my day whey protien drink 52 grams of protien with skim milk keep me for about 4-5 hrs