Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

day 2 post op and so uncomfortable

so today is 11/17/2010. I was banded yesterday at 8am, so far im nauseous tired, sore, tender. overall just feel like crap. it hurts when i take deep breaths which is concerning me the most, but from what i read in other threads this is gas? im wondering if i should go for a walk sometime today or continue resting, the doc prescribed me liquid roxicet, and its powerful i feel like im on cloud 9 after i take 2 tblspns. anyone have any helpful suggestions to get me through the week.

:(:):)

thanks

Lacey

so today is 11/17/2010. I was banded yesterday at 8am, so far im nauseous tired, sore, tender. overall just feel like crap. it hurts when i take deep breaths which is concerning me the most, but from what i read in other threads this is gas? im wondering if i should go for a walk sometime today or continue resting, the doc prescribed me liquid roxicet, and its powerful i feel like im on cloud 9 after i take 2 tblspns. anyone have any helpful suggestions to get me through the week.

:(:):)

thanks

Lacey

Lacey:

Honestly you need 2 to 3 weeks to fully recover. Hang in there. You should walk but do not do any lifting. you may also experience some shoulder pain. Try gas X and take it easy. You will feel better in no time..:tt2:

Yes, chill out at home, rest, watch movies. Everyone has their own level of pain tolerance and you are the best judge of when you are ready to get back to normal operations.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to bandland!

Hi Lacey, I was banded on the 15th and they also did a surprise hernia repair. I am also in pain that I really did not expect. By the port is is so sore and I have the gas pains also. I have been taking pain meds but they work okay i could take 2 but i have been taking one as i do not want to feel too loopy. I guess we will get through this ..i at times regret doing this but I know we will come out the other side successful!

I had surgery on November 10th and for a couple days I felt like I had been ran over. The gas for me was horrible. The best advise I can give you is to get rest, drink fluids and when you are awake get up every hour and walk around the house for maybe 10 minutes. That really helped me with the gas. Try switching over to liquid tylenol. It helped with the pain and didn't make me feel all drugged like the stuff the doctor gave me. I'm one week post-op today and feel great other then some gas in my chest. It does get better!

Good luck to you! :(

It will take a few days to start feeling better... but you will. The pain in the chest could be gas.. could still be a little anesthesia... and could be just because you had a major surgery and everything is just sore. But it will get better. I found the more I got up and walked and stayed as active as I could the better I felt the next day. They first few days are rough... hang in there!!!

Lacey, hang in there!! You will feel better!! Every day gets easier!! I was banded on 11/11, and today is the first day I feel about 75% myself. Yes, I'm still sore, and a little constipated, but the gas has finally dissipated and it's easier to move around. I am still sore in the port area, but that too will slowly subside.

The difficulty breathing is normal. I had so much pain in my chest, and breathing was hard for me too. But that went away by day 3. If you still have trouble tomorrow, call your dr. jsut to be sure.

Hang in there!! You are doing great!!

thanks for the advice everyone. walking did help alot, and as the day passed i started to feel a bit better.

good luck to all!!!!

Hi eveeryone! Yeah you guys are making me feel normal. It sounds as if so many people breezed through this surgery that something was wrong with me being in this pain. I do have to remember I am only three days out and the port will be sore. My breathing is difficult at times also. I was so upset last night thinking I was dying or something or like I hurt my body by having this surgery I went into panick mode. How are Topazz good to see you on the other side of pre op... Did you also end up having it done on Nov 15th???

I would say walk as much as you can without pain, other than the gas pain. The heating pad helped move the gas around when i was just sitting or sleeping. As for the discomfort when you take a deep breath, the nurse gave me a contraption (forget the name of it), anyways, you take a deep breath & then breathe out pushing the bubble up to a certain point, increasing as you get better for a few days. This is because of the anesthesia and to keep from getting pneumonia. I had it with all of my c-sections & the LAP-BAND®. You don't need the contraption, just take deep breaths & breathe out slowly and longer each time. Do it a few times every couple hours. Yes it's uncomfortable when you add it with the gas pains, but it gets much better.

As for the meds, i was given liquid vicodin, but the pharmacist told me it's still in the codeine family so there could be a cross over since i'm allergic to codeine. After 3 doses, i was in itchy hell! Switched over to liquid tylenol immediately & took one dose of the other just before bed to help sleep for a few nights.

Good luck, hang in there, it will get better.

so today is 11/17/2010. I was banded yesterday at 8am, so far im nauseous tired, sore, tender. overall just feel like crap. it hurts when i take deep breaths which is concerning me the most, but from what i read in other threads this is gas?

:blushing::):w00t:

thanks

Lacey

Lacey, I was banded on the 17th and breathing deeply hurts like H***.. So does swallowing. Close to brain freeze with all the throat and neck insides revolting. Then the anxiety tips in and I have to talk myself off the ledge. Then Im ok. Until the next swallow or deep breath.

I sho do hope this is normal and I admit to wondering what did I think I was doing getting this band??!!

My son did great, our surgeries were on the same day. He is up and around, moving slow but otherwise good.

Im so thankful I don't have the intense gas pain in my shoulder....not yet anyway.

Melissa