Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded and not telling kids!

I'm getting banded next Wednesday (YES, the day before Thanksgiving!) and the only person I've told is my boyfriend, and only him because he's my ride. I will have to get up Thanksgiving day and cook a big meal for my two teenage children. Think I can pull it off? Why the privacy? My kids would freak about my having an "elective" surgery, and I don't want my daughter to get the wrong idea about body image. I guess I'm doing this for me, and I don't want any opinions from the peanut gallery.

Well I dont know if u be up to cooking!!! How about having it cater lol that what I am doing!!! I pray to be band of the 22. Sometimes kids do freak out!!! Anyway do u boo:0 and the best of luck

There is no way I could have cooked the Thanksgiving feast the day after my surgery.

Have you ever tried those box dinners you can get from the deli? They are pretty good. You pretty much just have to warm everything up. How are you going to explain not eating the feast? Maybe you came down with the flu?

I would just tell them after it is already done and get it over with.

Oh yes! LOL. the flu is already in my near future! I'm planning on doing much of the work before Wednesday, and just putting the turkey in Thursday am. If I can't, I'll call my ex husband (he's invited) and tell him I have the flu and make him come cook it all. Always have a plan B!

I completely understand. The holidays are coming up and I have been wondering how I will explain cooking for family dinners, but not eating. I also do not want my children to know. My husband and my sister are the only ones who know I am having the surgery.

Im not telling my girls either. I don't want them to think their bodies don't measure up etc. I've only told my parents, husband and best friend..... Oh and all of you! LOL

I've decided I'm not telling my children either. They are both girls, ages 10 & 17. For all the reasons stated above about body image, etc. But also cause I'm divorced and the LAST thing I need is for my evil ex to know and pray I fail or laugh at my decision. I've always had stomach issues, I'm just sticking with that story.

I understand not telling very young children, but not telling could cause other problems. As a teen I would have been hurt if my mother had done something so big and not told me. Also, seeing you eat such tiny amounts of food and taking off so much weight may start ideas of eating disorders in teens. I'm not telling anyone what to do and don't know your kids, just some thoughts. I told my son as soon as I knew I was going for a consult, but he is a grown man. I would have told him when he was a teen as well.

Edited by Humming Bird

I am feeling the same... I will be banded tomorrow and I am not looking forward to Thanksgiving... I have shared with everyone because I need the support the liquid diet alone has taken a toll on me.

I'm getting banded next Wednesday (YES, the day before Thanksgiving!) and the only person I've told is my boyfriend, and only him because he's my ride. I will have to get up Thanksgiving day and cook a big meal for my two teenage children. Think I can pull it off? Why the privacy? My kids would freak about my having an "elective" surgery, and I don't want my daughter to get the wrong idea about body image. I guess I'm doing this for me, and I don't want any opinions from the peanut gallery.

I told my oldest drt (22) as soon as I had decided to have the surgery, my youngest (8) not a chance...she would have stood up and told her entire class at SHow and Tell...she thought I had a "hernia repair"...and what did she do?....Stood up and told her entire class..after googling hernia repair on the computer...My Little Drama Queen...so when the nosy Moms at school ask me if I am doing OK since my hernia repair...I just smile and say yes...lol

I have two children. Ages 18 and 11. I have told my 18 year old just because she knows the struggles I have been having with my weight and my health problems as a result. Also, I need her to help me post op :( but I'm not telling my 11 year old. I'm not sure he would understand, and I dont want him to be worried about me afterwards.

I did not tell my 3 teenage boys either. I'm very private when it comes to my stuff anyway, and I only told my husband, sister and parents about my surgery. The way I figured it, I thought it would be unfair of me to ask my kids to "keep a secret." I knew that it was not anything I ever wanted a lot of people knowing and I decided it was best not to put them in any position where they could tell anyone. I did really well after my surgery, but cooking a thanksgiving dinner? No, don't think I would have been up for that. You can prepare a lot of things ahead of time though. I told my kids I was having "female surgery"...ha that was enough to have 3 teenage boys not ask any questions :(. Before I decided on exactly what I was going to tell them the day of the surgery, I thought of also telling them I threw my back out! It all went fine. My mom came over and sat with me the 3rd day just in case I needed anything. We just enjoyed hanging out, but I really didn't need anyone at that point. Good luck!

I've decided I'm not telling my children either. They are both girls, ages 10 & 17. For all the reasons stated above about body image, etc. But also cause I'm divorced and the LAST thing I need is for my evil ex to know and pray I fail or laugh at my decision. I've always had stomach issues, I'm just sticking with that story.

Boy you sound like me. My kids are 12 and 16 and part of the reason that I also have chosen not to tell them is because I don't want it getting back to my ex husband, their father. I need to do this on my own terms and part of that is NOT having people scrutinize my progress etc. I'm doing this to better myself and am confident that I've told the right people. Good luck :(

I am right there with you!! I told my mom and dad (because I live with them) and my husband. That is it! Other than people on this website and the blogger world no one knows and I like it that way. Good choice!

The only one I have told is my wife. My almost 9yo and 6 yo daughters do not have to know anything about it. My surgery date is 12/29 so I don't have the anxiety of dealing with the holiday questions with the family. As far as anyone else has to know I am making a new years resolution to eat less and loose weight.

My wife and I told the girls that we are now eating healthy and they have been actually enjoying eating salads, grilled chicken breast and they loved having fruit salad instead of fries with their burger yesterday. In fact it was hard to get them to eat any of the burger over the fresh fruit.