Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery mid-February, and having second thoughts.

Is lapband worth it?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is lapband worth it?

• Yes
    • No

Everyone tells me that it's a waste of my time and money. That I just really need to work hard and stop looking for a quick fix. I am not at all expecting in any way for this to be a quick fix. I can imagine its just as tough a road as doing it on my own. I lost 130 pounds before so I am aware and prepared for the hard work. My problem before was that I was always starving. I tried so hard to stay on track but slowly kept finding way to incoprporate more food in my diet because I always felt so hungry. Basically I just want to know in everyone's opinion why lapband is or is not a good idea. And what things could I begin now to prepare myself for the process. Im up to 360 pounds now and I'm only 5'5". I'm a single mom w/ 2 kids and life just seems to be getting too difficult for me. Something has to give so I can enjoy life again w/ my gorgeous kids.

Please help...thanks everyone!:)

Admittedly, I haven't yet been banded (my surgery is December 6th) but I do have an opinion: Yes, it IS worth it. Here's why:

In your own post, you said you'd lost 130 pounds. You didn't say, but I'll bet you gained it all back again, didn't you? Is it worth it to lose that weight once and for all? If it was easy to do, you'd have lost it already. If losing weight permanently was easy through diet and exercise, everyone would be fit and trim. But life doesn't work that way. We both know you've tried every diet in the book, and weight loss, for you, is only temporary. As soon as you go off the diet, the weight comes back.

Everyone on this site is in the same place you are. We've tried it all, and we admit (at least I do), that I can't do it alone. I need some help to lose my excess weight, and keep it off. I'm of the opinion that LAP-BAND will give me that help I know I need.

At least, I'm willing to use the band as a tool to help me out. It is not a magic bullet, and weight loss isn't quick or easy. It takes work. But I know how to diet - I just don't know how to keep it off. And that's where I want the band to give me a helping hand.

If I do nothing, I'll only continue to be overweight, and sit on the sidelines as life passes me by. Having band surgery is something I can do, hopefully for the benefit of my future. I'd think it'd be the same for you, and for your kids.

Good luck in your journey.

Dave

Dave I think you have hit the nail on the head.

The band helps by controlling hunger. If you are not permanently hungry then it is much easier to stick to your diet/healthy eating plan. But as both of you have stated it does not do it for you.

You still have to choose healthy , high nutrition, lower calorie foods. you still have to exercise. But it's like the difference between fighting a war with tanks instead of bows and arrows.

Lap band is not a quick fix by any means as it is a major adjustment to your way of life, for good or bad. Some people have great results and some don't, and that gamble is why a lot of people say it is a waste of money. Personally, my band experience has turned out to be not all that great but I'm not doing to give a blanket statement that bands are bad. I seem to be a special snowflake medically as they can't quite figure out why my band isn't playing nicely. It happens in some people. Am I pleased that I had to shell out $18K to find out I am a special snowflake? Not at all. I am glad that I tried the least invasive and permanent solution before I moved on to pursuing an RNY or a VSG because now I won't always be wondering about what could have been...

At your height and weight, you have a lot to lose and are similar to my situation. Before you commit to a band, make sure that it really is the best option for you. Consult a surgeon who does all the surgeries, not just one whose bread and butter is bands. Get an opinion from somebody who is fully informed and hasn't got a financial interest in your decision.

Start going to a WLS group meeting (actually in person not online) before you make your final decision for a really good idea of the subtleties of each surgery. Reading the side effects and consequences of each choice and hearing them in person are two completely different experiences.

Even though I haven’t been banded yet, I think it's totally worth it. I have 2 kids myself and If I want to see them grow up and play with my grandchildren, I need to do this for me. I have stopped asking other people's advice it's more negative than positive. Do your researched it's ultimately your decision you have to live with it.

Ps: What is the difference in spending you money on this or Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or a Gym Membership, diet programs,?