Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI in the UK?

Hi. All very new to me. BMI of just under 31 and due to have surgery on the 5th December with the Hospital Group. I also have COPD and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has the surgery helped? Has everybody told their GP? Of course, here in the UK Lapband surgery is almost always self-funded and therefore does not need GP approval. I haven't told my GP yet. Kinda dreading it....:)

Hi. All very new to me. BMI of just under 31 and due to have surgery on the 5th December with the Hospital Group. I also have COPD and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has the surgery helped? Has everybody told their GP? Of course, here in the UK LAP-BAND® surgery is almost always self-funded and therefore does not need GP approval. I haven't told my GP yet. Kinda dreading it....:)

Wow hi j4roo, think i'm gonna have it with the hospital group too, probably in Jan. Going to book my consultation next week. I'm not going to tell my doctor either. Its completely different over here isnt it?! Our culture is so anti drastic measures that they ignore your desperation and devalue the drasticness of our situation. I'm probably not going to let my doctor know if it can be avoided. Lovely as she is, she just doesnt understand....this part of my life anyway.

For that matter, i'm not actually telling anyone i know. My family would go absolutely ape-sh*t if they knew!!! Again, they just dont understand.

What is COPD?

Dune.

Hi Dune. COPD is a chronic bronchitis type thing.

I've pretty much kept it a secret too. If my workmates found out, I'd be nagged -"you don't need it, yadeya....". They'll find out in the fullness of time. My mum and my husband are very supportive and know how much my weight bothers me. They both feel that if it's what I want, then it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Totally had enough of dieting - up down up down. I know lots of people see it as cheating but I'm not bothered. Do you have a low BMI too?

Hi Dune. COPD is a chronic bronchitis type thing.

I've pretty much kept it a secret too. If my workmates found out, I'd be nagged -"you don't need it, yadeya....". They'll find out in the fullness of time. My mum and my husband are very supportive and know how much my weight bothers me. They both feel that if it's what I want, then it's nothing to do with anyone else.

Totally had enough of dieting - up down up down. I know lots of people see it as cheating but I'm not bothered. Do you have a low BMI too?

yes yes, i'm virtually the same as you! mines about 29-30, havnt weighed myself in a couple of weeks but i am sure its probably 30 by now. Dito with the yo yo nightmare. I've just come out of my longest light phase ever in my adult life. I managed to maintain 11.3-6 stones for 18-19 months!!! And just fell off a few months ago and have put on 3 stone. Enough is enough, i know the band wont stop me from falling off, thats not the point, i shall probably always go up and down from time to time, but from what i have been learning, the band will help me to get a hold on things far sooner than what i can on my own, which may help temper my behaviour from spiraling so far out of control.

If there is anything i have learnt from this forum, its that it isnt cheating, TOTAL misconception. It still requires a lot of effort and will present some very challenging changes to our lives i am sure. I'm not telling anyone about mine, i cant be arsed, they dont get it and will try to talk me out of it, completely dismissing my helplessness and need to empower myself with this.

That COPD sounds harsh. Its probably safer to do it with a lower BMI in that case because your probably more vulnerable to anesthetics than other people.

I'm just trying to sort out the money right now, who are you going with? I'm with the hospital group. Gona have it done in Brum.

D

Hi There Dune! I'm all banded and done now! Had it done 5th December at Dolan Park Hosp. I also had a hiatus hernia (apparently) which is, I'm told, not an uncommon finding at the time of surgery. I have to be honest and say that I have had a bit of pain and general discomfort, but it's getting better by the day. I'm planning to go back to work next Wednesday.

The staff at Dolan Park were really nice - the nursing staff really are very caring and professional. Although the whole experience feels a little like a production line - there were 9 other people being done on the same day - I felt completely safe and comfortable.

As you know, my BMI - like yours - was only 30.5. And I felt a bit of a fraud having this done. But I'm glad I have and look forward to reaping the benefits in the not too distant future.

I wish you well with your banding, and if you ever want to talk about it, just email me. xx