Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is Monday! can't wait to be banded

any last minute tips?

I am also Monday and I was wondering what to pack and also what I should buy to have at home afterwards so I will not have to run around to the store!

OOOH hope you both will do well.

Will just tell you what all I packed to take along. Not sure if yours is an outpatient surgery or if you will have to stay. Because of my sleep Apnea, my surgeon kept me one night to keep an eye on me. And because of that, I did have to take along my Bipap machine and hoses.

Definitely I packed my Ipod, lol, I wanted to stay connected to friends online and I gave everyone frequent updates on my Facebook account and in emails. It also helped me to pass some time with playing games. I also made sure I had my cell phone so I could make long distance calls as the hospital did not allow it on their phones without a calling card. But if you don't have a cell phone, a calling card is a good thing to have, just in case there is anyone out of the area you wish to touch base with.

I took along my most comfy old tshirts and shorts, I thought I would be most comfortable in those. I took along some slippers but actually, was most comfortable in the slipper socks they gave me there. And I did just wear the gown they gave me for most of my time there, until they allowed me to come off of the IV's, then I switched over to my own clothes.

I also made sure I had along some comforting scented things from home. vanilla and cinnamon body sprays and perfumes and some of my baby magic calming milk lotion to put on my skin after washing up and at night, I love the scent and it is relaxing. If you are sensitive to any soaps or lotions, bring your own from home so you won't have that worry about having a reaction to the ones they give you in the wash up kits. I brought all of my own.

One thing I found that was a huge must for me was taking along my brand new journal and a few pens. I told myself I would start writing in it the day of my surgery and that I did, I started keeping a record of things that evening and wrote in it several times that day and afterward. I sadly don't keep track as much anymore on paper as I have kind of switched over to blogging online but I often print out my blogs and add them to my journal to keep track that way. But It was a huge comfort to me the day of my surgery to be able to write down how I was feeling physically and emotionally.

Make sure you take a list of all of your medications you are on and something else that is helpful is to make a written list of any family or friends that you would permit to call the hospital for information about you. Because of current laws, most people are not allowed to gain that info about you without your consent. I had an Aunt that was hospitalized in serious condition and it was horrid for us not being able to get any information out of her nurses about how she was doing. I made sure when I went in for my surgery, I handed them that paper to put in my file so they would know.

If you like to read, take along a book or some magazines or puzzle books. I read some and watched in room movies some (they had on Demand films where I was a patient). I took along my portable DVD player but never did get any use out of it so I could have left it at home.

I swear, I packed obsessively like I was leaving for an extended vacation. lol. That's my OCD kicking in, I feel a need to take way too much with me for overnights.

One other thing to mention, something not so pleasant, was that right after my surgery, I had a serious amount of bowel trouble, sorry to talk about it but it is important because of the fact that because of my frequent trips to the bathroom, I was really sore and found that some creamy vaseline type lotion was helpful there. But that is something they would be likely to give you there if you ask for it.

That is about all I can think of. Just relax and it will come and go quicker than you could imagine and it is much smoother than I had imagined too. I was so afraid before my surgery and it ended up being for nothing, it went well and I was home and getting settled back into daily life within a few days. :thumbup:

Good luck....

Thanks Traci!!!! YOu are very helpful!

I was able to leave the same day. I took my own Gas-ex strips and began using them as soon as my eyes were open...lol. I did take a make-up bag because even if I felt bad I was not going to look bad,....lol chapstick and my toothbrush and tooth paste. I also took breath spray. I packed my soft sleep pants and shirt and actually wore them home. I did a maternity sleep bra which was very helpful..I wish you the best and look forward to readung about your success.

CHAPSTICK! I can't stress this enough! And lotion!

I am not banded yet but have had several surgeries and my lips and skin always get SO DRY from the throat tube and lack of Water before and after surgery.

GOOD LUCK! WE ARE ROOTING FOR YA!

I have no tips... since my date is this Monday.. both excited and a bit apprehensive... best of luck to you!

I have no tips... since my date is this Monday.. both excited and a bit apprehensive... best of luck to you!

My surgery is Monday too!!!! I am way excited, a little scared, and a little nervous. My surgery will be done as an outpatient procedure. Let me know how ya'lls go!

Best of luck!

Misty :rolleyes2:

My surgery was yesterday and if you are going to be an out patient then you don't really need to pack anything. I brought my cell phone with me and wore lose comfortable clothes.

As for after surgery you will need... your Protein shakes, Water, sugar free Popsicle's, sugar free Jello, chicken broth (i buy the chicken noodle Soup and strain the noodles out.. more tasty broth that way). liquid Tylenol, gas-x strips and heating pad has been a life saver for shoulder and back pain.

Being nervous before surgery is normal... I was the day before but once I got to the hospital I was not as nervous. They took good care of me and made sure I was comfortable at all times. It all goes so fast.

Good luck to everyone!

CHAPSTICK! I can't stress this enough! And lotion!

YES YES YES. The chapstick is a must. Honestly, I was over packed for surgery... I was home that evening and all I really did at the hospital after surgery was sleep and walk around a little. I didn't have a chance to be bored. Mom was there and we chatted for a few minutes between "naps". I was just so eager to have a drink... then to go home. I really slept a lot the first 2 days. I had packed a book, portable dvd player, the kids' game boy even. I didn't use any of it. Just texted a few people after surgery to let them know I was ok and slept a lot.

But my lips were miserable so chap stick!!!

My surgeon has us stay one night .....I guess ti is okay it will force me to rest since I have two little ones at home. There are a lot of us Monday.....lets us stay in touch!:)

I have my surgery Monday also. I was told to bring a pillow for the ride home to hold on the sore spots on my belly. Good luck everyone.

I am having surgery on Monday also. I am SO SO excited. I can't wait to be on the other side and be banded. I am so excited to start this new healthy life!! Good luck to all on the 15th!